Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vandenbrink GTO Concept

May I be the only one who says...

I could design a better interpretation of the GTO with ym eyes closed and no hands. This is hideous, and does not resemble that famous 250 in any way.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

That just makes you come of as a pompous ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    That just makes you come of as a pompous ass.
    Finally. Someone who gets me.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Final design just released. I'm very disappointed in it...so much about it looks odd to me. The offset opera window, huge flush mounted rear glass, awkward profile view, chrome side vents. The nose is decent...but overall it looks like one of those Datsun 240Z kit car conversions IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your right, the side profile looks awkward. Too much body over the rear wheels.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I like it, definitely has a classic look without the designer trying too hard to go retro.

press release:

Vandenbrink Design unveils special coachbuilt GTO

Vandenbrink Design joins the revival of special coachbuilding by presenting their design of the GTO, a tribute to the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO.

The GTO was designed in 2006 by Michiel van den Brink, who founded the Vandenbrink Design company with business partner Robert Koumans in the Netherlands.
    The worldwide acclaim the artist impressions received exceeded all expectations; TopGear even wrote "Ocular Nirvana: arguably the best-looking car in the world".
    The overwhealming response put the bar high, but it encouraged Vandenbrink to accept the challenge by prepairing the design for production.

The new coachwork will be handcrafted following the classic tradition in aluminium by Dutchman Alwin Hietbrink, who is worldwide known by his excellent aluminium craftsmanship in restoration and rebuilding projects of classic Italian iconic sportscars such as the genuine Ferrari 250 GTO.

Optional interior/upholstery redesign will be performed by the Dutch craftsman Henk van Lith, also worldwide known by his specialization in the making of high quality Italian interiors.

The GTO is technically based on the superb Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano platform.

In cooperation with race engineering expert EDO Competition two versions are offered:
    - the 599 GTO (5998 cc / 650 hp / 630 Nm) and
    - the high performance 630 GTO (6300 cc / 750 hp / 680 Nm).

Through this unique approach the GTO offers a synthesis of automotive art, craftsmanship and state-of-the-art platform and performance engineering.

Only 5 GTO's will be built for customers, guaranteeing exceptional exclusivity.
    Customer interest appeared solid; first coachworks have been reserved.
    Production will start in 2008; delivery to the first owner will be in 2009.

Price of a full-options 630 GTO is 993.000,- euros (excl. base 599 GTB Fiorano, ex taxes).
    12 cylinders or walk!

And now we need the new pictures in high resolution.
    Cause those last pictures are only 800x600

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    And now we need the new pictures in high resolution.
    Cause those last pictures are only 800x600
    yes i've already written to michiel to get them
    12 cylinders or walk!

I think the wheels are too small for what they've tried to do with the body.

Give it some larger wheels - or scale down the design - and it would look sexy.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

another proof that trying to emulate a perfect design without strictly copying it, is doomed to fail....the recent Miura was a similar case. This car will be about 50% heavier and bulkier than the classic GTO, thereby depriving the design of all its eternal elegance.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    another proof that trying to emulate a perfect design without strictly copying it, is doomed to fail....the recent Miura was a similar case. This car will be about 50% heavier and bulkier than the classic GTO, thereby depriving the design of all its eternal elegance.
    Being based on the 599 Fiorano doesn't give it much chance to be light methinks.

I'd suggest that the 250 GTO has the reputation is does not because of the looks, but because it was generally a good car - a fine example of engineering, brilliant to drive and successful on track. It is also somewhat famous for the very fact that it is famous; there are similarly capable, or more attractive classic Ferraris around, but they seem to feature less in the conciousness of the general public. The styling isn't at the unbelievably low standard of modern Ferraris, but is hardly their finest, either, certainly not deserving of the number one spot.

What is the point of mimicking the style of the GTO, but none of what made it so great?

Based on the 599, it will have none of the GTO's highly praised feel, agility or sublime balance. Instead it is saddled with an excess of weight, power and the driving experience is smothered by half a ton of electronics. In the GTO, the driver controls the car; in the 599, the driver merely makes inputs which the electronics consider, before deciding for themselves the best thing to do.

They should be wrapping that skin over a simple, honest, 300bhp, 1000kg platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    I'd suggest that the 250 GTO has the reputation is does not because of the looks, but because it was generally a good car - a fine example of engineering, brilliant to drive and successful on track. It is also somewhat famous for the very fact that it is famous; there are similarly capable, or more attractive classic Ferraris around, but they seem to feature less in the conciousness of the general public. The styling isn't at the unbelievably low standard of modern Ferraris, but is hardly their finest, either, certainly not deserving of the number one spot.

What is the point of mimicking the style of the GTO, but none of what made it so great?

Based on the 599, it will have none of the GTO's highly praised feel, agility or sublime balance. Instead it is saddled with an excess of weight, power and the driving experience is smothered by half a ton of electronics. In the GTO, the driver controls the car; in the 599, the driver merely makes inputs which the electronics consider, before deciding for themselves the best thing to do.

They should be wrapping that skin over a simple, honest, 300bhp, 1000kg platform.
    but the thing is that's a commercial project focusing on benefits; nowadays a 300 bhp kit car based on a legendary ferrari won't sell, better badge it as some kind of another british manufacturer. this car is more like a veyron to me
    12 cylinders or walk!

Thread Information