Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zomg BFG

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Hey clutch, don't you think it would be highly amusing if Australians and Canadains took part in wide-scale war game involving all branches of each nations armed forces? That would be wicked as hell.

It would forever answer the plaguing question: who is worse? Australia or Canada.

Game on!
    Hmm... I'd put my $ on the Australians.

British convicts or wimpy English descendents who fought with America over Oregon?

Thought so.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ah, i just wiki'd it and apparently we built them using swedish tech. figures they'd catch fire
    Well... I'm sure you can get into some pretty gnarly crashes with moose and get out alright.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

YouTube - Navy's Record-Breaking Railgun Shot
    Navy Tests 32-Megajoule Railgun | Popular Science

the flame is pieces of the projectile igniting as it disintegrates going through the air..
    it'd be epic if they use it in space.
    I read of a comical weapon called kinetic energy rods or something. They are essentially telephone poll like metal rods that are in space and launched via some sort of launch device at above the speed of sound and cause extreme damage.

The simple fact of the matter is the cost of these systems would be extreme, and we are already pretty good at taking lives from the air, ground and sea.

I read of a comical weapon called kinetic energy rods or something. They are essentially telephone poll like metal rods that are in space and launched via some sort of launch device at above the speed of sound and cause extreme damage.

The simple fact of the matter is the cost of these systems would be extreme, and we are already pretty good at taking lives from the air, ground and sea.
    That's the whole point of an electromagnetic railgun, just not in outer space.

There's no warhead. It's just a dense piece of metal, like tungsten or something.

Technically, they could use anything. Depleted uranium, anyone?

Ok you realize this would be alot cheaper than missiles right?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's the whole point of an electromagnetic railgun, just not in outer space.

There's no warhead. It's just a dense piece of metal, like tungsten or something.

Technically, they could use anything. Depleted uranium, anyone?
    i read a while back that they had to use plastic/aluminium in some of these?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    yeah, just gotta balance the cost and maintenance of each missile vs the initial cost of a railgun basically
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Rods from god are launched from space. Developing the technology to launch them from space and stocking an orbital bombardment device with sufficient ammunition to make it worthwhile would cost hundreds of millions of dollars,and resupplying with tungsten rods would cost millions per launch.

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper than missiles.

Bombs from planes work well too, and are cheap.

yeah, just gotta balance the cost and maintenance of each missile vs the initial cost of a railgun basically
    As I mentioned, it would cost millions to resupply the launcher with rods.

No idea, but with a railgun you could use anything I think. Not sure.

Rods from god are launched from space. Developing the technology to launch them from space and stocking an orbital bombardment device with sufficient ammunition to make it worthwhile would cost hundreds of millions of dollars,and resupplying with tungsten rods would cost millions per launch.

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper than missiles.

Bombs from planes work well too, and are cheap.

As I mentioned, it would cost millions to resupply the launcher with rods.
    Kitdy, I think The_Canuck meant that railguns were the weapon of the future and will be more cost effective, not the weapon from space.

Bombs from planes work, it's just that you can't move an airplane or a bomb quickly enough without using rocket technology, which railgun technology totally gets around.

Basically, we said that it would be expensive to support the outerspace weapons thing. You kinda decided to support it anyway, for some weird reason.

Besides, I don't think weapons are allowed to be stationed in outer space.

No idea, but with a railgun you could use anything I think. Not sure.

Kitdy, I think The_Canuck meant that railguns were the weapon of the future and will be more cost effective, not the weapon from space.

Bombs from planes work, it's just that you can't move an airplane or a bomb quickly enough without using rocket technology, which railgun technology totally gets around.

Basically, we said that it would be expensive to support the outerspace weapons thing. You kinda decided to support it anyway, for some weird reason.

Besides, I don't think weapons are allowed to be stationed in outer space.
    I guess I can see railguns being more cost effective than missiles, but I would say that most effective bombing is carried out from the sky.

I don't support kinetic energy weapons, but I find them hilarious.

They are against no treaty - only WMDs are forbidden in space.

I guess I can see railguns being more cost effective than missiles, but I would say that most effective bombing is carried out from the sky.

I don't support kinetic energy weapons, but I find them hilarious.

They are against no treaty - only WMDs are forbidden in space.
    Why hilarious......?

Come to think of it, it's the same as lobbing a huge cannonball

........... at Mach speeds.

The image is kinda funny there.

Didn't know that WMDs were forbidden in space.

Why hilarious......?
    The image of a telephone pole sized projectile hurdling from space called a rod from god is I think intrinsically funny.

The image of a telephone pole sized projectile hurdling from space called a rod from god is I think intrinsically funny.
    Yeah, I understand that.

Yeah, I understand that.
    At least, as funny as an instrument of death can hope to be.

Thread Information