Thread: Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Hyundai came out with a new concept called the Hyundai Genesis Coupe I was wandering what people thought about it.

V6 300-hp, rear drive
    Last edited by Super GT; 12-17-2007 at 01:16 PM.

In theory it sounds like a good idea. But then again that's how a lot of concept cars start out. Hyundai has shown promise with some of their cars and then again some of their cars look like they've been glued together with rubber cement.

It's a concept car but it'll go into production. In my opinion more affordable rear driven cars are always welcomed. So good idea then.

Hardly a classic car, though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Filovirus View Post
    In theory it sounds like a good idea. But then again that's how a lot of concept cars start out. Hyundai has shown promise with some of their cars and then again some of their cars look like they've been glued together with rubber cement.
    I had a talk with the Product Planning Manager of Hyundai Europe R&D center recently. I learned a LOT of of it. He explained more or less that they are working there with a very young team. Because Hyundai does not really have a brand identity yet, they are free to try and find stuff out that works. They want to place the brand between the "old" brands that are associated with luxury, like VW, Mercedes etc.

On my question why they sometimes looked a bit "rickety" he answered that the R&D center was fairly new and because of a combination of inexperience on this field, very tight deadlines and the constant search for brand identity.

The concept is way too gaudy, but I understand what Hyundai is getting at.

Like Ferrer said, I don't like the concept. But the big engine, RWD car looks like a good formula.

It'll be a good thing, because if that's the car that makes Toyota and Honda wake up from their relative slumber, then so be it.

They've been lazy with performance cars anyway.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    With the direction Hyundai has been going, I'm hopeful.

As I said somewhere else, Hyundai is the JP car industry, lagged 10 years. That's the key to their success. They're making their sport RWD 300hp cars now that the JP industry used to be so good at but for some reason has killed off. They seem to forget that its what made their companies big names in the car world.

I honestly think Hyundai may be literally studying what has worked in the past around the world and it applying it now: successfully.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

the car looks alright but far too garish in this paint scheme at least but it is a welcome change from the rather boring tiburon
    but 300hp and RWD sound good

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In my opinion more affordable rear driven cars are always welcomed.
    Agreed!

I like it, it looks awesome (for a Hyundai)

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I had a talk with the Product Planning Manager of Hyundai Europe R&D center recently. I learned a LOT of of it. He explained more or less that they are working there with a very young team. Because Hyundai does not really have a brand identity yet, they are free to try and find stuff out that works. They want to place the brand between the "old" brands that are associated with luxury, like VW, Mercedes etc.

On my question why they sometimes looked a bit "rickety" he answered that the R&D center was fairly new and because of a combination of inexperience on this field, very tight deadlines and the constant search for brand identity.
    Sometimes I wonder who you didn't talk to.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I like it, it looks awesome (for a Hyundai)

Sometimes I wonder who you didn't talk to.
    lol. I try and visit as much seminars / congresses and such I can. It sure learns you a lot and you get a lot of contacts in the Automotive world. I try to note as much as possible down later, for further reference. After the seminar in Eindhoven, there was a oppurtunity to talk to all those people. Around 50 top-ranking people were present, so..

Why don't you do it yourself ? The fee's asked are not too high and 9/10 times it's free for students.
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-18-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Aside from the weird bumper and the droopy Z4-esque rear window, it looks nice.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information