Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First four-star award for pedestrian-protection for Citroen C6

First four-star award for pedestrian-protection for Citroen C6

The European New Car Assessment Programme has announced that the Citroën C6 is the first car to be awarded the maximum four stars for pedestrian protection. The executive-sized car is also awarded five stars for adult occupant protection and four stars for child protection, showing that occupant safety need not be compromised to protect those outside the car. Euro NCAP has been pressing for better pedestrian protection for many years to try to drive down avoidable deaths and injuries to vulnerable road-users. The C6 detects when a pedestrian has been struck and ac tivates a ‘pop-up’ bonnet to give greater clearance between the bonnet and the rigid parts of the engine. It is the first such system to be assessed by Euro NCAP but it is expected that other similar systems will be introduced soon. The Seat León is awarded three stars for pedestrian protection, reflecting a growing emphasis by some car manufacturers on pedestrian safety. The Jeep Grand Cherokee scores zero points for pedestrian protection and is awarded no stars in that category.

Claes Tingvall, Euro NCAP Chairman said,

“It is very gratifying that Citroën have achieved four stars for pedestrian protection. A few years ago, some manufacturers claimed that it was impossible. Now, it is clear that manufacturers who are committed to all-round safety can protect those outside the car without compromising the safety of those inside. Citroën’s achievement is particularly clear, coming as it does in the same phase as a car that has scored no points for pedestrian protection. There is no longer any excuse for such neglect and Citroën are to be congratulated for setting an example which we hope others will follow.”

Amongst the latest Euro NCAP results released today (23 rd November) is a struck-through three-star rating for the Chevrolet Matiz for adult occupant protection. The strike-through indicates an unacceptably high risk of life-threatening injury in one aspect of the car’s performance, in this case chest protection in side impact. The Matiz lags behind other Superminis whose results are also released today, notably the Fiat Punto and the Toyota Yaris, both of which are awarded the maximum five stars for adult occupant protection. The Matiz is also the only car tested in this phase not to have a seat-belt reminder system as standard. Such systems have been shown to encourage seat-belt use 1, essential for effective occupant protection.

Claes Tingvall said,

“All but one of the cars tested in this phase had a seat-belt reminder system. That’s great news. All of the safety features in a car are wasted if people don’t wear their seat-belts and we now know that a reminder system is a very effective way of encouraging use.

“I am pleased to see that we have two more Superminis providing five-star occupant protection. It is clear that manufacturers are finding new ways to provide safety even in small, tightly packaged cars. However, we also have a struck-through three star car in this phase, showing that there is still room for improvement. Euro NCAP will continue to encourage all manufacturers to achieve the highest levels of safety.”

Results are released in the Supermini, Small Family, Large Family, Executive, Small MPV and Large Off-Roader categories.
    Last edited by jorismo; 11-23-2005 at 06:46 AM.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

And still the car did not even make it to the final of the European car of year award...Stupid journalists...

The report also makes it perfectly clear why we don't want SUVs, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Results:
    Scores in this order: Occupant Protection Child Protection Pedestrian Protection

Chevrolet Matiz
    3 stars (-1) 3 stars 2 star
    Citroën Berlingo
    4 stars 3 stars 2 stars
    Citroën C6
    5 stars 4 stars 4 stars
    Daihatsu Sirion
    4 stars 3 stars 2 stars
    Fiat Croma
    5 stars 4 stars1 stars
    Fiat Punto
    5 stars 3 stars 3 stars
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    4 stars 3 stars 0 stars
    Kia Rio
    4 stars 3 stars 2 stars
    Mazda 5
    5 stars 3 stars 2 stars
    Mazda 6
    4 stars 4 stars 1 star
    Mitsubishi Colt
    4 stars 3 stars 1 star
    Peugeot 407 Coupé
    5 stars 4 stars 2 stars
    Seat Leon
    4 stars 4 stars 3 stars
    Toyota Yaris
    5 stars 3 stars 2 stars
    Volkswagen Fox
    4 stars 4 stars 2 stars
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    And still the car did not even make it to the final of the European car of year award...Stupid journalists...

The report also makes it perfectly clear why we don't want SUVs, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Cars don't cause accidents, it's the people that are the problem.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Cars don't cause accidents, it's the people that are the problem.
    the Cherokee scored 5 stars..... (parked in the garage)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i know the matiz is quite old but 3 stars is really appalling

also i wonder what the 2cv would score in a pedestrian crash test. probaly more than for the occupants
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i know the matiz is quite old but 3 stars is really appalling

also i wonder what the 2cv would score in a pedestrian crash test. probaly more than for the occupants
    in the 2CV you know that you are vulnerable and you drive accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    in the 2CV you know that you are vulnerable and you drive accordingly.
    I hope the same principle won't be applied by C6 drivers.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    I hope the same principle won't be applied by C6 drivers.
    yep they are still vulnerable, as long as the Grand Cherokee is around...

Its not just the Cherokee you know? There are these really big contraptions called trucks used for carrying heavy loads across long distances and they are often driven by people unfit to drive. I know which one I'd rather be hit by.

If cars are safer, people drive them rougher, so all those stars doesn't say that much for me. And usually not the nicest cars get the most stars
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

I don't think a C6 is the sort of car you'd drive fast. Its seems abit of an old person car to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    The C6 detects when a pedestrian has been struck and ac tivates a ‘pop-up’ bonnet to give greater clearance between the bonnet and the rigid parts of the engine.
    Good grief! What's next? A guy in a pink Easter bunny costume that pops out of the hood and gives people a hug??

I wonder how hard it is to time that bonnet, if the car hit a smaller person their head might hit the bonnet as it is traveling up!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    I wonder how hard it is to time that bonnet, if the car hit a smaller person their head might hit the bonnet as it is traveling up!
    Not hard to time it as they "pop up" VERY quickly. So it's up there LONG before the passenger body/head rolls onto the bonnet - unless you hit them at 100mph and in which case it's all a bit moot
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information