Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Formula One Season Official Thread

I'd sorta like to see F1 die and the manufacturers form their own championship with more money going back into teams and better management. Plus, I love the drama that goes around with all the threats, thrusts, parries, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Plus, I love the drama that goes around with all the threats, thrusts, parries, and the like.
    I find the politics of it extremely annoying. That is why I am glad to see F1 on the way down. The drama in a race series should happen on a racetrack, not it some HQ in Woking or Maranello or some courtroom in Paris.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Ferrari sounds very bitter considering they have a whopping 3 points in the Constructors Championship.
    6 mate, read the newspaper
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    6 mate, read the newspaper
    My mistake.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Team US F1 has become the second team to publicly confirm that it has lodged its entry for next year's world championship.

While the current teams continue discussions with the FIA about changing the regulations so they are happy to submit their own entries, US F1 has joined Campos Racing in committing itself to its 2010 plans.

autosport.com - F1 News: US F1 confirms 2010 entry submitted

The FOTA has suspended Williams from their working group:

Following Monday’s confirmation that the team has submitted its formal entry for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, the Formula One Teams Association has today decided temporarily to suspend Williams F1 from membership of FOTA.

Frank Williams, Team Principal: “FOTA’s decision, although regrettable, is understandable. However, as a racing team and a company whose only business is Formula One, with obligations to our partners and our employees, submitting our entry to next year’s Championship was unquestionable. In addition, we are legally obliged under our contract with FOM and the FIA to participate in the World Championship until the end of 2012.”
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thats really a shame. FOTA would really be kidding themselves to believe Williams wouldve followed them out of F1, and as the team points out theyve got existing commitments to F1. Maybe it wont be too long now before FOTA's united stance breaks down to simply Ferrari's insistance on no budget cap and Toyota looking for an excuse to get out.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Thats really a shame. FOTA would really be kidding themselves to believe Williams wouldve followed them out of F1, and as the team points out theyve got existing commitments to F1. Maybe it wont be too long now before FOTA's united stance breaks down to simply Ferrari's insistance on no budget cap and Toyota looking for an excuse to get out.
    I think not much should be read into this.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think all teams have existing commitments to F1.
    That said, it only makes sense for a privateer team like Williams to follow the new rules. It should be so even for smallish team like Force India and STR, but since both can count on major money incomes, they are probably, and by now, fine with the current situation.

The only thing I read into the FOTA action is that they're not going to be any different to Bernie's Boys So you are either with us or against us, no middle ground.
    Sad

Quote Originally Posted by WorldCarFans
    Without a rapid solution to the teams' FIA standoff, Force India and Brawn will be the next current teams to imminently sign up for the 2010 world championship.

It is now believed that the crisis is indeed nearly over, after at a Heathrow meeting on Wednesday, the FOTA alliance apparently agreed a compromise that is likely to be accepted by Max Mosley.

But with Friday still looming as the deadline for next year's entries, any further delays will result in Brawn and Force India - who like Williams see F1 as their core and only business - also breaking ranks and lodging the 2010 paperwork.

It is understood that, when Sir Frank Williams and team CEO Adam Parr were asked to leave the meeting room on Wednesday, Force India and Brawn did not join the other FOTA members in voting to expel the Grove based team.

As reported on Wednesday, however, the FOTA alliance is unlikely to fracture further, with Mercedes' Norbert Haug and McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh receiving much of the credit for the compromise that is now likely to speed towards a handshake deal.

The deal will involve a 100m euro budget cap next year, before Mosley's 45m figure arrives in 2011. As a sweetener for the teams, one more staff member per team - like Red Bull's highly-paid Adrian Newey - can be excluded from the cap in addition to the drivers and boss.

FIA president Mosley told La Gazzetta dello Sport this week: "I am willing to compromise, but only if small and new teams can operate with much lower budgets and are not much slower than the others."

The details of the technical compromises are still sketchy, but it is understood that component and informing sharing, and even the sanctioned use of whole customer cars in 2010, could be among them.

Mosley added: "I am very optimistic about a solution. The big and small teams have very different interests and we have to protect everyone.

"Will Ferrari enter by Friday? I think so. I am optimistic and confident. Ferrari is very important for formula one, but formula one is very important for Ferrari as well," he added.
    This soap opera is getting boring.

It seems all the remaining 9 teams of the FOTA signed up for next year, under the condition that their new proposal (see quotation above) will be integrally accepted.

That makes 14 teams signed up, with only space for 13. Provided Toyota, Renault or BMW dont pull out (or at least secure a new buyer) then somebody's going to miss out, and the weak link IMO looks like Campos. Neither they or USF1 have existing production facilities that i'm aware of (of which Prodrive and Lola do) but Bernie would be pushing in USF1's favour IMO, if purely to have a stronger American presence on the grid.
    I am the Stig

Some interesting reading.

pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news

Apparently, the 2010 entries lodged by the FOTA members (aside from Ferrari's) are all invalid/illegal. I know Pitpass love their 'conspiracy theories' and reports from unnamed, supposed 'F1 insiders' a little too much which harms their credibility somewhat, but if what they're saying is true it could make June 12th rather interesting.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

But what would the point be for the FIA to kick out all the manufacturers? Unless Mosley also enjoys shooting himself in the foot.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information