Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Gaming > Trivia and quizzes

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Calif.
And THEN there was the MATRA V-12 Engines...which could be like a dentists' high-speed drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8fcA6lcpX4...I've heard and felt them on numerous occasions...especially at the LBGP...betwix the canyon of buildings!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Nice you love the sound of the Matra ... but they never sounded like a dentists drill
Recordings never manage to recreate the low end of the mighty V12 and the modern runnings they dont rev the engine to anywhere near it's limits

The old Le Mans crowd will cry when they talk of the memories of the V12 coming past at full chat

Nice vid find tho' thanks .... especially the Matra Bagheera in yellow !!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
two weeks back i heard a top fuel drag car start up and perform it's run.. probably the 'most powerful exhaust' i've heard.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast

Way Down South
Most powerful exhaust I've ever heard was a Saturn V lifting off. If that doesn't count, I too miss the sounds of Matras, Alfa 33/3s and under-three-liter anythings at full song. Top fuel still amazes, so does a full-on NASCAR field blasting by. But in the modern era of sportscar racing it's got to be the Mazda 787. Those really did sound like a dentists drill focused on your skull.
'68 911T Targa Sporto
'68 Mercedes 280 SL
'62 BMW 700 Sport
'63 BMW 700 Cabriolet
'72 BMW 3.0CSL
'72 BMW 3.0CSA
'70 914/6 GT
Old 04-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Most ear bleeding exhaust I've ever heard are classic 60's and 70's Formula 2s at full throttle inches from me.

Group 4 Stratos runs in second place.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Calif.
EDIT: extra info deleted

I'm going to make a huge leap of faith (or am I really just being presumptive) and assume that you possess a working knowledge of the French Auto-mobile industry. Using that as a foundation, I shall ask of you, "Does virtually every French made car STILL have a "wet-sleeved" powerplant wedged under its' bonnet? And what is their u-ni-que fascination with that design...i.e., individual, removable, cylinders? I was a master mechanic for over 40 yrs. and got to overhaul 3 of them...AND have mixed feelings, indeed, what?

Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-19-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: remove info
Old 04-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Hi zuzulo56, you dont need to paste all that detail as I nearly missed your question.
THis might be worthy of a thread of it's own, but will quick answer hear

Not just French cars used and use wet liners.
So it's not unique, but appreciate it may seem so from your end of the planet
If you come across an old Triumph for example
There are a number of reasons a wet liner will be user by a designer.

- special light, easy to cast alloys can be used by fitting liners. ( this applies to wet and driy )

- Replacing a worn/scored or damaged bore is much simpler : Lift the liner out and put a new one in. Otherwise it's strip the block, machine it smooth and fit oversize piston/rings.
Small adjustments in capacity/stroke/bore easily incorporated across an engine range

- Same block just different liner and crank/rods/pistons and completely different engine performance. Keeps costs/design down.

- Lower/simpler manufacturing cost. Not so critical now as casting methods and alloys are improved. Gettign efficient waterways to cool the cylinder walls of a compact performance engine is a challenge. Casting them is even harder. A wet liner allows much more efficient waterways. Not looked inside a recent wet liner engine ( my 1992 Alpine is ) but woudl imagine that by using better alloys and casting then smaller, lighter can be achieved.

- negative is the block isn't as structurally strong to twist as a single cast without additional specific features. But usually only a necessity for larger multi cylinder engines. Not small low capacity, high revving high power units. But see K-series in Lotus Elise issues

No doubt once the word went out that you did wet-liner engines folks woudl come to you. So many times I've heard of less knowledgable mechanics LIFT a head off of a wet liner system to find a liner dome with it and instead of a simpel head off work it's a full engine out, crank out and refit a liner NB: For anyone who is going to take a head off of an engine that MIGHT be a wet liner always, ALWAYS push the head to the side to break the seal to take it off .... NEVER lift it !!!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Calif.
Wet cylinder liners...followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Not just French cars used and use wet liners!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

It just seems as if the entire world's auto industries 'ave been missing a sure, advantageous, engine-design...for 'oer a century. Thusly, are Gallic vehicles the most revered, popular and durable...a standard bearer for all! (As-well-as the apparent reason for virtually all proper auto racing sleds to be powered by wet-sleeved-wonders.)
Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Rudolstadt/ Thuringia
Well, mine was a Merc SLS with a sports exhaust. Wicked sound.

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E
Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Rookie

i dunno if it is the exhaust or the turbo, but the Porsche 935 turbo on rFactor sounds amazing. its in that video i posted. love it!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Novice

Alabama
My friends 1938 Chevrolet Coupe with a 270 GMC 6 cyl with a one foot long exhaust pipe connected to the manifold! Iowa cops hated it!!!