Thread: Hamilton nearing a debut?

Hamilton nearing a debut?

More silly season news.

Sep.25 (GMM) Pedro de la Rosa says he is unlikely to leave the McLaren team, even if he fails to retain his race seat.

The 35-year-old Spaniard, who could even be replaced by newly crowned GP2 champion Lewis Hamilton ahead of this weekend's Chinese grand prix, insisted that his future will 'always be bound' to the Woking outfit.

De la Rosa's seat has yet to be confirmed for the final races of 2006, but he is also in the running with Hamilton to become countryman Fernando Alonso's teammate next year.

''There is no chance that I am going to go to a less competitive team,'' Pedro, initially a McLaren test driver, said at the DTM race in Barcelona at the weekend.

But de la Rosa confessed that it is possible that rookie Hamilton, 21, will get his grand prix debut this season, but said he hoped to be confirmed soon for the remaining races in China, Japan and Brazil.

He said: ''I am enjoying my role at the moment and I would like to keep doing it for as long as possible.

''And then next year is a long way away.''
    http://formula-1.updatesport.com/new...edro/view.html

Personally I'd be suprised if Hamilton makes his debut before the end of the season. He's only had one proper test session and that was 2 days at Silverstone last week, and the first day of that test was all but lost to electronic glitches meaning he didn't even get to set a timed lap. We know for certain that De La Rosa will be in the race seat for Shanghai this weekend, and there will be little chance for Hamilton to get any time behind the wheel in testing before the final two races, as the teams will be jetting all round the world for the next month or so for the last few races of the season.

Given the circumstances I think it could even do Hamilton more harm than good to throw him into the deep end with such little testing under his belt. In such an unfamiliar car it is very unlikely that he'll be fully on the pace straight away and it might make him look slow or clumsy in comparison to the rest of the drivers on the grid. He'd be better off waiting until he gets a full preseason under his belt before he makes his full competitive debut IMO.

I'd rather see Gary Paffet given a go in a race seat. He's allegedly in the frame for the '07 seat alongside Alonso plus he has a full season's worth of testing behind him now. I think it would do him and the team good to see if he really has what it takes to cut the mustard at the highest level and see if he deserves a shot at the seat for next season.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

In the commentary during one of the GPs they mentioned that Hamilton managed to get within a second of the other drivers times during testing.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    In the commentary during one of the GPs they mentioned that Hamilton managed to get within a second of the other drivers times during testing.

During which GP? He only had his first proper drive in the car last Wednesday, obviously there hasn't been a GP since then.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Some people excel under these type conditions and some struggle...it's all up to the individual. Hamilton, if thrown in, may just be instantly great...who knows.

IMO McLaren have c0cked up majorly by not getting Hamilton into the car until recently. In comparison, how early was Rosberg dordling around in the Williams....
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    IMO McLaren have c0cked up majorly by not getting Hamilton into the car until recently. In comparison, how early was Rosberg dordling around in the Williams....
    Dad kinda helped Nico with that...

And? Hamilton's been supported by McLaren throughout his career (or so Ron Dennis would want us to believe). He's got equal exposure as far as that's concerned.

McLaren havent been in championship contention all year, they couldve easily put him in a car and given him half a dozen laps just as a starter.
    I am the Stig

Exactly... they bascially have nothing to race for, so might as well put their money where their mouths are. Go Hamilton!
    .... preparing for life after Michael

Thread Information