Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Rally Car?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Well don't worry, it has to do with the fact my laptop that was originally operated within a protected network environment, and still has some features that I cannot deal with. Probably reinstalling everything would solve the problem, but I don't feel like doing that.

A relief to hear that it was a TR7, a long way away from becoming a classic. You're sure it wasn't a TR8?
    ]
    There's clearly no engine in it - watch the video frame by frame.
    At least someone had some sense - engine in the front would have been too obvious - but then there are the louvres in the bonnet.
    no wonder the series bombed !!

Quote Originally Posted by Matracien et Al
    World rally championship is based on national rallying in mixtures of forest, track and tarmac stages.
    Comparing Pikes Peak cars with stage rallies is like Indy 500 and F1.
    PP car's would not get anywhere in tight twisty rallies - and likewise without major engine re-management, wrc cars would struggle a mile high :-)
    At what point did i compare them? i was just saying its interesting they still have one competing in a major event.
    And ty Henk4 though the pics i have of them there arnt that many lights on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    At what point did i compare them? i was just saying its interesting they still have one competing in a major event.
    Noted Falcon, I was onlyy adding for those who maybe haven't seen many RS200s ( or Audis or Peugeot 405s ) that the ones for Pikes Peak are different cars and setups than rallying. Usually LOTS of wing, HUGE rubber, no lights and as wide and low as they can get it within the rules.
    They can look like different cars.
    Just trying to help.
    Peter
    PS: My systems rebuilding just now,later I'll post some nice vid clips of the 405 on PP :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matracien et Al
    PS: My systems rebuilding just now,later I'll post some nice vid clips of the 405 on PP :-)
    Forgot I had a clip uploaded already. Click on it to view
    Ari in 405 on Pikes Peak ( about 600K ).
    Recommend to all rally and PP fans to get a hold of the full film. It was produced by Peugeot and is the 405 inside and out. Lots of artistic shots to balance the total driving balls-out shots !! A French film it ended up with the odd title "Climb Dance" in English. This film won lots of awards in 1990 and is STILL good viewing.
    Drifiting flat out that close to trees and sheer drops takes a large amount of courage - so the track is WIDE, they use all of it !!!!
    If folks are interested I can open up more of the footage I have of British and European rally clips. A TOTALLY different experience :-) Especially first hand.
    Last edited by Matracien et Al; 12-25-2003 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typos!

[QUOTE=Matracien et Al]Noted Falcon, I was onlyy adding for those who maybe haven't seen many RS200s ( or Audis or Peugeot 405s ) that the ones for Pikes Peak are different cars and setups than rallying. Usually LOTS of wing, HUGE rubber, no lights and as wide and low as they can get it within the rules.
    They can look like different cars.
    Just trying to help.
    PeterQUOTE]
    OK fair enough my friend and yous most certianlyu right as i just found out. The pic Henk posted is so very diffrent from the rally pics ive seen im curious wether that one was a cross country rallylike the mexican baja or somthing?

OK fair enough my friend and yous most certianlyu right as i just found out. The pic Henk posted is so very diffrent from the rally pics ive seen im curious wether that one was a cross country rallylike the mexican baja or somthing?
    Are you talking about the RS200? That was to be the ultimate group B rallyecar, in the same class as the S4, and might even have had to compete with the Ferrari 288 GTO and certainly with this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

well the pics i have they are devoidof all those lights on the front im assuming that wouldof been set up for long distance rallys with the all those lights (of course i could be wrong) I would be following rally if they still churned out cars like that.

well the pics i have they are devoidof all those lights on the front im assuming that wouldof been set up for long distance rallys with the all those lights (of course i could be wrong) I would be following rally if they still churned out cars like that.
    The lights are still in use but only in Rallyes where they do evening stages such as the RAC. I think also the Monte does some night stages. The lights are easily removable, so the cars are totally the same. No reason for you not to follow rallying then

No im saying i dont follow them because the cars lack charictor i find (i still whatch it on tv but i dont get into it much like f1) and have basicly hardly any resemblence from their stock road going counter parts.

No im saying i dont follow them because the cars lack charictor i find (i still whatch it on tv but i dont get into it much like f1) and have basicly hardly any resemblence from their stock road going counter parts.
    Well Group N cars are about as standard as you can get, and actually the current WRC cars are much nearer to the road going versions as the mid-engined group B monsters. It's true though that you cannot buy an AWD 205 or Xsara, but the Lancers and Subaru's are available.

the rs2000 and the rs3100 would be my favourite rally cars even thought the rs3100 wasn't raced as much as a rally car

Well i read in the peformance ford UK that they offerd road going versions of the rs200 too. Well the current class might be closer to real cars even if they did offer proper road going group b cars the price they would of been worth would of been unrealistic to say the least. Any idea if ford (who have confirmed they will still be racing next year) will be running the focus or the Fiesta?

Well i read in the peformance ford UK that they offerd road going versions of the rs200 too. Well the current class might be closer to real cars even if they did offer proper road going group b cars the price they would of been worth would of been unrealistic to say the least. Any idea if ford (who have confirmed they will still be racing next year) will be running the focus or the Fiesta?
    For Group B homologation, manufacturers were required to build 200 and make them available for sale. All the manufacturers ended up with about 150 lying in storage when Group B was banned ! Ford and Rover did close-out sales where they sold them off way below cost to clear the factory ! Brother owns an rs200, Peugeot T16 ( didn't go for the RS4 as quote " it sounds like a tractor and the gearbox baulks" :-) and had 4 quattros - "GBM RallySport".
    The following year, the top drivers in rallycross had reduced weight even further and fettled engines more to produce the ultimate rallycross cars so prices went up again for a while.
    Their is a large Group B onwership club in the UK but thir web page for contacts has gone down :-(
    The RS4 rose again as a rally car in the UK using different engines and were quite successful. quattro S2s were just TOO special to afford to keep running. RS200 owners were and still are able to uprate the 250bhp to 600. Brother's was updated after an egngine mishap and it is astoundingly fast.
    Occasionaly a car will come up for sale in the Group B club for those interested. - keep trying www.groupb-cc.org.uk and hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.
    Last edited by Matracien et Al; 12-27-2003 at 04:13 AM.

Interesting that id love to own one too...Well without aproper job ill be saving up for a damn long time there But thats somthign i never knew What are they like to drive? and about howmuch wouldone be worth?

Interesting that id love to own one too...Well without aproper job ill be saving up for a damn long time there But thats somthign i never knew What are they like to drive? and about howmuch wouldone be worth?
    Long story, but his cars and I have never been in the same place with all of us working OK !!
    The T16 was a street version and didn't get all the rally upgrades, so it's well behind the RS200 - especially after the engine upgrade. With everything adjustable the RS is the perfect car. He ran it as a course opening car on International rally and recorded the fastest time on one of the stages ( it was a tarmac road he drove almost daily so new it compeltely ! )
    For a few years he ran the GBM rally team using Ingolsdadt prepared quattros and they werw big and harder to match the small Ford on twisty roads and the track.
    Hoping next year to take the Alpine to visit him and we have a few days swapping drives :-)

Thread Information