Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
What is THE most reliable Le Mans engine EVER built with the highest percentage of finishes ??
The 20B.

The rotary is a fantastic racing engine but it never has to last for longer than 24 hours. For highpower street applications, the rotary is almost worthless.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

St Marys Western Sydney
Send a message via MSN to fpv_gtho
Didnt they race the 26B

The rotary is only worthless because too many people are ignorant. Look outside the US and tuned rotaries are revered like GTR's
Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

Kokomo, IN
Send a message via AIM to SupraMan22
I have a chevy blazer that has 135k on the odo. A toyota supra that has roughly 100k on the odo and they both run perfect. For all the "jap cars dont run for a long time" you probably haven't owned one. I know they are reliable cars because my mom drove a Honda Accord and nothing was ever wrong with it. They are becoming popular and people dont like it. Just because toyota is selling more, just as much, or a little less as ford and gm. My family owns both a Ford F150 and also a Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. The X-runner doesnt rattle at all, even with a Xtant Subwoofer blasting constantly in it. My dads truck is silent as a mouse also. Ride is smooth as hell and very nice. My supra on the other hand rattles some, its mostly in the glove compartment and the hatch though. Which is most likely metal to metal or plastic to plastic vibration. Fixable, but most things more than 15 years old need some work. And as for the rotary thing like i said its all about power these days. And with the GTO having alot, its pretty obvious. But style and technology goes to the rotary. With out a doubt. Plus how many other cars are running rotary engines these days? Not tooooo many. Maybe cause replacement parts are quite a pocket burner.
Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning
Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Kokomo, IN
Send a message via AIM to SupraMan22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBB
The 20B.

The rotary is a fantastic racing engine but it never has to last for longer than 24 hours. For highpower street applications, the rotary is almost worthless.
lol the truest statement i've seen in this thread yet.
Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning
Old 03-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Spastik_Roach Send a message via Yahoo to Spastik_Roach
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
japanese cars last until ~120,000km's, and then they're on borrowed time. this is fact.
simpler, not as stressed V8's will last a lot longer.
What?

You're just talking about Rotarys right.

Our Corona is at 230,000kms and never skipped a beat ever. I've seen Coronas with almost twice that that are fine.

Pull yer head in Clutch!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

V8 there is no question about it, I love the feeling of sitting behind a gigantic inefficient engine as opposed to the little power developed from the rx-8's rotary, but i preferably would like a bigger engine to add mods to
Old 03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
What?

You're just talking about Rotarys right.

Our Corona is at 230,000kms and never skipped a beat ever. I've seen Coronas with almost twice that that are fine.

Pull yer head in Clutch!
yeah, rotaries and honda's
Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Rookie

If were comparing the GTO to the rx-8, what about breaking and handeling? Theres no doubt the GTO would win on the drag strip, but i think the lighter, nimpler rx would do laps around that beast on the track.
Again, although the GTO puts out 400hp compared to the RX-8's 232, the GTO does displace 6.0L, compared to the mazda's 1.3L. The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Northern New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Rockefella Send a message via MSN to Rockefella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
the GTO puts out 400hp compared to the RX-8's 232, the GTO does displace 6.0L, compared to the mazda's 1.3L. The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
Comparing power/displacement with the sbc v8 and wankel rotary is like comparing an apple and an orange. The two engines serve different purposes, and rotaries aren't known to displace 2+ liters. 3+ would be overkill in a street-legal car.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Furniture

Quote:
If were comparing the GTO to the rx-8, what about breaking and handeling? Theres no doubt the GTO would win on the drag strip, but i think the lighter, nimpler rx would do laps around that beast on the track.
Again, although the GTO puts out 400hp compared to the RX-8's 232, the GTO does displace 6.0L, compared to the mazda's 1.3L. The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
i thought they did put a 3 rotor rotary in the eunos cosmos.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
japanese cars last until ~120,000km's, and then they're on borrowed time. this is fact.
simpler, not as stressed V8's will last a lot longer.
hate to break this to you but i got a mistu L300 1990 model, with 400,000 kms on the clock and its still going stong. so much for 120,000
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Fanatic

San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
And have about 1/10th the longevity as the American cars.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebrows
hate to break this to you but i got a mistu L300 1990 model, with 400,000 kms on the clock and its still going stong. so much for 120,000
fine! FINE! i admit it. i was talking out my ass
i still say rotaries and 4-bangers will die sooner than a V8 will
Old 03-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Fanatic

In the shed
twin turbo the rotar and youre laughing
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicks
The LS2 shits all over the Rotary. It has a great torque curve, sounds so much better, and is not heavy by any means (385lbs dry).
The Rotary eats oil like it does gas, and form what Ive heard are not very reliable.
Eat oil, where are these facts coming from Slick, sounds like a massive generalization again. A guy I know races a 13b and its heaps more reliable than some high stressed V8's that he always beats . He freshened up his motor before the Nationals, before it had raced for 4 seasons, 6 races a season of 15-20 laps plus probably 12 prcatice days . You do the math slicks. The other pic of Torana with a 650 hp 350 Chev gets freshen twice a season and it costs more to freshen a V8 than it does a rotor.

As the old saying goes V8 for towing a rotor for going
P.S Check out the lap times the V8 gets smoked

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/cars/sutton.htm

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/cars/eldridge.htm

Last edited by charged; 03-09-2006 at 02:42 AM.