Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
Lambo & Carbon

Lamborghini Opens Advanced Composite Structures Laboratory - MotorAuthority

Quote:
Lamborghini has officially unveiled the “Automobili Lamborghini Advanced Composite Structures Laboratory” (ACSL) with an event held at the University of Washington. The unveiling of the lab publicly marks the automaker’s commitment to investing in the future of carbon-fiber technologies by partnering with leaders in aerospace and composite material development, including the University of Washington and aerospace company Boeing.
My opinion is that such an investment is not worthwhile if you are just planning to use the expertise for bodywork construction.

Could it be that they are planning to use carbon in chassis of future models? I wouldn't expect to see that on Gallardo successors. I wouldn't expect it for the Murcielago successor, as the development is at its final stages. I would like to see it on the successor of the successor of the Murcielago
Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Fanatic

Modena
I think the same, even if I doubt they will try to actually produce or design the chassis completely in house, still it's a good thing to know what you are paying other people for.

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA
I think VW realizes material science is the future of the automobile and just thought, 'Why the hell not put it under the Lambo banner?'"

FYI: Horatcio Pagani used to be the head of this division at Lambo.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Fanatic

Modena
That was more than 20 years ago though, and I think three Lamborghini's ago as well.
That was the first CF chassis (a la F40, so a tubular steel frame boxed with CF sheets) on a road car too, the Countach Evoluzione.
Pagani is one of the few to actually completely design the CF chassis in house.
Ferrari, Bugatti and Porsche went to ATR, while Maserati opted for Dallara (both in Italy btw).
Don't know about Koenigsegg and Gumpert.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Rookie

Here
Speaking of material science, I always thought it would be great if someone could figure out how to use spider silk for the auto industry. It's incredibly lightweight, flexible, very strong and occurs naturally using renewable materials as raw input. I know there's been interest in artificially reproducing the stuff but I don't think anyone's made much substantial progress yet. Also, don't know much about its reactions to extreme temperatures...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Devon, England
I just read on Wiki that they can't make it properly synthetically. And if they farm it they have to keep all the spiders separetely otherwise they all eat eachother!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Rookie

To my limited knowledge everyone in the auto industry has known since the '80s, maybe even late '70s, of CF importance and potential. I would agree that VW wanted CF work done and choose to call it Lambo for publicity purposes but I still encourage anything that might allow us to start seeing CF components throughout a greater number of road cars instead of just the bodywork.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
VW wanted CF work done and choose to call it Lambo for publicity purposes
That is probably correct, but let me add that the Veyron also is made of Carbon fibre.

Why this distinction? After all, Bugatti is WAY more upmarket than Lambo. I would expect an in-house project for the whole group, if it was to be shared with other brands.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
Speaking of material science, I always thought it would be great if someone could figure out how to use spider silk for the auto industry. It's incredibly lightweight, flexible, very strong and occurs naturally using renewable materials as raw input. I know there's been interest in artificially reproducing the stuff but I don't think anyone's made much substantial progress yet. Also, don't know much about its reactions to extreme temperatures...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
I just read on Wiki that they can't make it properly synthetically. And if they farm it they have to keep all the spiders separetely otherwise they all eat eachother!
there has been success in altering gene expression in goats so that spider silk is produced in the milk. much easier to produce that way.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
there has been success in altering gene expression in goats so that spider silk is produced in the milk. much easier to produce that way.
Too bad, now they can't produce a Spyder version, they'll call it Goat instead
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
That is probably correct, but let me add that the Veyron also is made of Carbon fibre.

Why this distinction? After all, Bugatti is WAY more upmarket than Lambo. I would expect an in-house project for the whole group, if it was to be shared with other brands.
The Veyron's monocoque is done by ATR though, as previously stated.
Also, I don't think we can talk about sharing a CF chassis, the only example I can think of is the Enzo/MC12 which wasn't so well received right for this reason, even if not really correct.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
The Veyron's monocoque is done by ATR though, as previously stated.
Also, I don't think we can talk about sharing a CF chassis, the only example I can think of is the Enzo/MC12 which wasn't so well received right for this reason, even if not really correct.
That was my point. Veyron outsourced the Chassis from ATR and now Lambo might develop an in-house project. If it was a shared VW project, costs, facilities and technology would be shared, making it easier for everyone. Even Porsche could benefit.

As for the chassis, maybe I didn't clarify my point well enough. I meant technology and facilities sharing, not the chassis itself
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
Quote:
lol, i did find it hilarious when people were panicking over spider-goat genetic hybrids, when it's only the expression of milk that is effected haha.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Here
Quote:
Haha...it won't run on gasoline/petrol...instead it'll run on garbage and old socks!

By the way, anyone know why sometimes a car's called a Spyder, and others Spider?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Novice

Kolkata-7th largest city in the world, still back of beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
We tried composites with it once. It doesn't work.First of all quantity. You won't get enough to scale up to industrial levels. Next is high temperature properies aren't great too. Carbon nanotubes are a better bet.

Tags
carbon, chassis, lamborghini, university of washington