Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Classic cars

Old 06-13-2004, 11:11 AM
From Beer to Paternity

Hamilton Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to NoOne
Seems a lot of pople are biased when it comes to American engines powering Supercars, I've heard the same bashing over the Koenigsegg. Bottom line is American engines are not exotic ... which makes performance mods, service and yes even all out replacement easy and relatively cheap.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Romania Bucharest
Send a message via Yahoo to DasModell
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
What do you mean? The 351 cleveland is a great engine. Good power and relatively low cost. If they would have put a V12 or something in the Pantera it would have cost too much.
nope . nothing wrong with the engine . just not to my liking
Old 06-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

ACT,Canberra Australia
Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
Seems a lot of pople are biased when it comes to American engines powering Supercars, I've heard the same bashing over the Koenigsegg. Bottom line is American engines are not exotic ... which makes performance mods, service and yes even all out replacement easy and relatively cheap.
Im all for it...american engines are good performers and parts can be found all over the place....Helljust the other day me and my old man went through his shed and he had a set of closed chamber 2v clevland heads in the shed...he sold them to a friend who raced historics....ive been to a few swap meets and for a few hundred dolelrs i could of made a mild engine from the bits they had there....302 Clevland full engine $300 750dp holley carbie $150 edelbrock manifold (unsure what kind) $200 and all the bits we have already...
Old 07-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Novice

new dram project

hey,
well after losing ambition for building a sick shelby cobra kit car ( seems those cars are getting like bellybuttons....especially at car shows) i saw and fell in love with the detomaso pantera a while ago. i want to build one. a serious one.

i want to build enough power to take it 200+ mph (easy part for me)
...brought my 2001 turbo (15psi on k04 turbo) volkswagen jetta to 150.....what's another 50mph?

but i have no idea where to get legitimate parts for the pantera....... (not so easy part for me)
things such as brembo / willwood brakes, aftermarket suspension parts, turbo and blower kits, headers, well-fitting body panels,REAL H.I.D. headlight setups, all the in's and out's, the real stuff, not just stuff from "honest bob's parts company".

i'm an engineer, and am already building a 9-second-hopefully mustang with my buddie. the 'stang sports a BUILT 4.6L on an ati F1R supercharger.
while this is nice, i'm not much of a straight-line only guy and i want to build basically my own "supercar" using a badass and rare car such as the pantera. please e-mail me with all comments and info to: ford794x4@aol.com

thanks for listening to me rant!!!!

jake
Old 07-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Jake, welcome to UCP.

Hope you don't mind but as a first post, you're asking a lot for UCP memebers to trust that e-mail address. You may just be spamming for qualified e-mails.

Besides others may like to see the contributions and posting here means it saves people telling you the same thing twice !!

So folks ...........
- follow net.101 class and don't ever send an e-mail to an unknown addy unless you like spam.
- post here so we can all see progress
- and Jake can reply with his plans as he decides

This would also be best as a new thread. If Jake is 'for real' then I'll split it out....
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 AM
aussies do it the best!!!

sweet, i love the old muscle!!!!!

badboy
Old 09-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Legendary

Euroland
Send a message via MSN to McLareN
I love the Pantera 2
Check out this pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detomaso Pantera 2.jpg (183.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Detomaso Pantera 2..jpg (173.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Detomaso Pantera 2...jpg (201.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Detomaso Pantera 2.....jpg (252.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasModell
nope . nothing wrong with the engine . just not to my liking

Funy, the engine is why I like mine so much. Easy to work on, powerfull, throaty, great part's availability. It is exactly why I would not have a car such as a V12 Jag or a Ferarri. I love those cars, love to see them but would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. With my Pantera, I can get parts anwhere and the aftermarket performance parts have really evolved.

Awsome car!

Gary
Old 10-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Iwakuni Japan
Is that your latter model Pantera Gary?! Nice if so, welcome to UCP.

A good amount of nice pictures! After these few years, the Pantera series still look nice. The emission regulations killed the car, or I should say the lack of engineering; a shame that they didn't continue to evolve the car to modern standards
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

Coldenflat
Send a message via AIM to CdocZ
i once saw one......nice car, kinda rare in maryland (at least the areas around me). oh well......whats this thing the "magusta" by the way? saw one in a parking lot at my supermarket. looked awesome
Old 10-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by distress
Is that your latter model Pantera Gary?! Nice if so, welcome to UCP.

A good amount of nice pictures! After these few years, the Pantera series still look nice. The emission regulations killed the car, or I should say the lack of engineering; a shame that they didn't continue to evolve the car to modern standards
Well sort of, several things killed the cat. First off the government was begining to regulate crash testing. They were not producing enough to put it through that kind of expense. Second, with the gas crunch, automakers were dropping their performance cars and this one had not been around long enough to get a foothold. And oddly enough at the time, Ford had divorced his Italian wife and had "had enough of the Italians". He was ready to move on. He sold the name back to Detomaso and the car continued production in it's original form till the mid 90's. (at a lot slower rate). There is actually a lot more to it than even that. Interestion story, car history at that time. The battle of who was going to come out with mid engine cars, who was bluffing. AMC had an awsome mid engine concept that never developed.

I put the transaxil back in last weekend:
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Novice

Hmm....these Cars Rule!!!

Any one have any idea as to which year would be the best to own? as far as suspension and driveline durability? (trans-axles, half-shafts, spindles, etc)

i know the upgrades the cleveland should receive....been a ford guy forever! lol

thanks...appreciate the input...

J
Old 02-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

i love the pantera there is one at a local dealer in red it is amazing. oh and distress cool avatar!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

UK
It is a lovely car, but I prefer the styling of the Mangusta.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Rookie

Valencia, Spain
now that were talking about De Tomaso, Ive a doubt. Has anyone seen Kill Bill part two??? the car that david carradine drove was a de tomaso mangusta????

Tags
de tomaso