Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Racing forums

Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
here is one that I shot in the pre-start assembly are during the 2006 Silverstone Historics. I have some doubts about the originality of the front fairing...is that the fiberglass housing you were talking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FiatAbarth1000TC-1s.jpg (131.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg FiatAbarth1000TC-2s.jpg (110.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Novice

Los Angeles
yes, that's it

Fairing, shroud, housing--I don't know the accepted name for it, if there is one--that's what I mean.

Jim
Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Novice

Los Angeles
I'm sending you a personal message

Henk, please check your personal messages folder

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
Jim, you can subscribe to a thread to get email notification. If you edit your profile accordingly you will get an automatic warning that a new message has been posted in a thread where you also made a post.
and the "New Posts" button at the top of the page will show you all threads which have had a new post. Once read some/all click on "Quick Links" ... "Mark forums read" to keep up to date.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Why do all the Fiats have open rear hatches? Is it because it needs the extra cooling?

Anyway, cool pics. It looks like an Italian Mini Cooper on steroids.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R
Why do all the Fiats have open rear hatches? Is it because it needs the extra cooling?
Yes. __
Old 01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Novice

Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer
Yes. __
Actually, no.

That's what Abarth wanted people to think, so they wouldn't be inclined to make him close them.

In reality it markedly improved the aerodynamics of the car and increased top speed. A rounded rear, unless you can make it very long, creates a great deal of drag. Look at the "whale tail" spoilers on 911's, for example--they basically fill in the void created by the body as it slopes down, creating a squared off rear. The goal is to keep the air flowing higher and then have a sharp cut off. You will see many examples of this if you look at the cars on the road around you.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantdino
Actually, no.

That's what Abarth wanted people to think, so they wouldn't be inclined to make him close them.

In reality it markedly improved the aerodynamics of the car and increased top speed. A rounded rear, unless you can make it very long, creates a great deal of drag. Look at the "whale tail" spoilers on 911's, for example--they basically fill in the void created by the body as it slopes down, creating a squared off rear. The goal is to keep the air flowing higher and then have a sharp cut off. You will see many examples of this if you look at the cars on the road around you.
Thank you for the information, I actually didn't know it and I believed the official story. I suppose that the Kamm tail is also a similar solution, if different, to this aerodynamic problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Novice

Los Angeles
Quote:
Thank you for the information, I actually didn't know it and I believed the official story. I suppose that the Kamm tail is also a similar solution, if different, to this aerodynamic problem.
Yes, it is. The best example is the Alfa Duetto Spider. It looks cool, but when they chopped off the tail and made it chopped/Kamm it produced less drag.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:53 AM
The Special One

Porto - Portugal
Quote:
Actually, no.

That is true, because they used to have the option of opening it even in the early 850TC road version. But it is also true that the exhaust system on the later versions would make it impossible to close.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Actually, no.

So does that mean all the Porsches that don't have a wing or one that pops up have aerodynamic problems?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Yes. __
Just wondering, but why did you just assume?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

East Sussex, England
Quote:
Just wondering, but why did you just assume?
Quote:
Thank you for the information, I actually didn't know it and I believed the official story.
Keep up.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by :Exige:
Keep up.
What do mean by that?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Novice

Los Angeles
Quote:
So does that mean all the Porsches that don't have a wing or one that pops up have aerodynamic problems?
Not problems really, but if two cars were otherwise equal, the one with the spoiler would go faster. And probably have more downforce, as a 911 is a beautiful car but is basically shaped like an airplane wing, so it will tend to lift off the road at high speed.