Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan's rotary or America's V8

Japan's rotary or America's V8

Hi, Members! I was wondering if you guys could give you opinions on if a Mazda rx 8 rotary engine or a Pontiac GTO V8 was better in terms of power and speed? Which one cost less in maintenance? Thanks for reading.

V8 for most people but rotary for the enthuasiast
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Rotary engines are usually unreliable, and have practically no power/torque until ~5000rpm. They also get really terrible mileage.

EDIT: I just checked the stats, and the GTO's V8 embarasses an RX-8 wankel.
    Last edited by Sweeney921; 03-08-2006 at 12:43 PM.

Well look at the displacement, im not sure of the numbers here, but the GTO's v8 does have 4 if not 5 times the displacement of the rx-8. Ive driven an rx-8, and once those rotars get over 5000, the power they make is incredible, not to mention the sound and smoothness. As for reliability, i would regard any japanese car produced these days, regardless of engine type, as more reliable and better built then any american car.

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    Well look at the displacement, im not sure of the numbers here, but the GTO's v8 does have 4 if not 5 times the displacement of the rx-8. Ive driven an rx-8, and once those rotars get over 5000, the power they make is incredible, not to mention the sound and smoothness. As for reliability, i would regard any japanese car produced these days, regardless of engine type, as more reliable and better built then any american car.
    Lmao Yeah american cars arent reliable at all thats why they sell 700k F150 a year vs a est 100k tacomas or less. The numbers speak for them selves
    UCP biggest mustang lover

The LS2 shits all over the Rotary. It has a great torque curve, sounds so much better, and is not heavy by any means (385lbs dry).
    The Rotary eats oil like it does gas, and form what Ive heard are not very reliable.

The 8 in the GTO is a great motor, especially for the 30+k bargain the GTO's at anyway.

The Rotary is a descent motor, with some great power in hidden places, but there are just too many downfalls.

Rotary all the way. It sounds like a Turbo without and engine at high speed, and it's compact size gives it an edge.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

I'd go for the rotary because I'm a technology person. I like the fact that it uses a unique way to solve the problems of a normal engine. It might just be used on one or two of Mazda's lineup, but I like it much more than the V-8. If the V-8 requires brute strength and displacement to create its power. Any large displacement engine can produce power. If the V-8 was the same displacement as the rotary, I doubt it would produce as much power.

Just a quick suggestion- you can create a poll if you wanted to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    I'm going to build an LS7 powered FD RX-7 after I get an STi.

Look at the weight distribution: 53% Front/47% Rear with the rotary and 50.5% Front/ 49.5% Rear with the LS1 and the LS1 powered car only weighed 15 pounds more! So much for the SBC haters...

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Lmao Yeah american cars arent reliable at all thats why they sell 700k F150 a year vs a est 100k tacomas or less. The numbers speak for them selves
    I beg to differ.

The v8 is better than the rotary basically as many have listed already. But just because i like the design and the tech in the RX8 im going to go with the rotary on this. Just cause i like the car.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Of course the v8 is going to have more torque and hp then the rotary, a better comparison would be to compare a v6 engine to the rotary, or the v8 to the twin turbo rotary from the late rx-7. Just because more F150's are sold then tacomas doesnt mean that the fords are any more reliable then the toyotas. Infact, toyota's and honda's regulary have milage over 150,000k and still run perfectly. Ride in a ford with 150,000 recently? If your lucky enough you would propobly see alot of blue smoke, hear alot of rattles, and feel alot of vibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    Ride in a ford with 150,000 recently? If your lucky enough you would propobly see alot of blue smoke, hear alot of rattles, and feel alot of vibrations.
    Hah! I've ridden in a Ford with 750,000 miles on the stock longblock. Reliable as a crowbar.

Thread Information