Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bourdais claims sour Doornbos' first win

Bourdais claims sour Doornbos' first win

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.net
    Sebastien Bourdais did little to endear himself to the Mont-Tremblant crowd by complaining openly about the way in which he felt he had been beaten by first time Champ Car winner Robert Doornbos on Sunday.

Despite making what appeared to be a jump start, the Newman/Haas/Lanigan driver took advantage of problems for both front row starters to lead the field until his first pit-stop on lap 21. Although already raining lightly, the pack remained on slicks, with Bourdais joining the list of mistake-makers with an off that dropped him to eleventh. As he was deep in the field, the NHLR team elected to top off his fuel under the extended caution for Paul Tracy's stranded car, and Bourdais used the extra track time that brought to work his way back up the order, eventually falling in behind Doornbos after taking on wets at his final stop.

The battle became one for the lead when pacesetter Simon Pagenaud went wide on lap 53, but Bourdais was unable to pass and eventually took the chequered flag 2.8secs behind his rival.

However, the Frenchman then used the immediate post-race interviews and then the official top three press conference to complain about Doornbos' tactics, which he claimed including the Dutchman persistently blocking his attempts to re-pass the Minardi Team USA car.

"Robert passed me very cleanly on the track, [but] I just left the door open," the three-time champion began, "I was kind of hoping he was going to do the same when, at some point, I was a little quicker behind him. But that's not what he did, [and] that's the only reason I was very unhappy with him.

"But that's the way it is. Apparently his F1 experience is playing a little bit. He's not quite used to the way we should be behaving on the racetrack, when you're not supposed to move - which he done on three occasions. Race control let it slip. That's fine. He had the faster car, [and] he seemed to do a great job. It's just a shame that, as good a driver as he is, he had to do it this way. I think it would have been a much nicer win had he not done it."

Doornbos acknowledges that he has faced similar complaints before, having been black-flagged at Cleveland last time out, but, along with most observers, felt that he had done little wrong on this occasion. Given the opportunity to defend himself in the press conference, the Dutchman pointed to the variety of lines being employed in the wet conditions that 'graced' much of the race.

"I fully think that I deserve this victory, and I'm very happy for this team and for myself," he admitted, "I know that the rules in the US are different, it's a different way of racing. In Europe, we race hard, in Formula One, we race hard. It's a sport.

"At the end of the day, you're fighting. You have to be selfish, you're fighting for your own positions. In the US, I have to respect the new rules, and I paid the price last weekend in Cleveland, where I felt that basically I made a mistake and the race director gave me a penalty, but, in these conditions, you cannot predict what happens. You're driving on slick tyres in the wet, or you're driving on wets on parts of the track which are dry - you're all over the place looking for grip. If Sebastien feels that he could have passed me, he should have done it. I felt I was quicker."

Clearly irritated by the Dutchman's defence, Bourdais retorted immediately.

"I only wish I could have [passed] - had you not thrown me in the grass, maybe it would have been all right," he glared, "It happened once in the pits and two times on track - going into turn eight and, two laps later, going into turn ten, when I was on the 'push to pass', he just ran me in the grass, so I had to back off. I know exactly what happened, he knows exactly what happened.

"Even if race control did not see it, [and] sometimes it happens, it doesn't stop me from saying what I feel. When it's dangerous, like we're in sixth or seventh gear and somebody is trying to run you in the grass, to me that's not very safe.

"I'm not going to make a fuss about it. I'm just being honest, you know. All I can say is apparently being honest is not always serving you right, but that's the way I am. I've always been like that. I'm not going to start lying to you guys because you want me to."

The pair now head for Toronto this weekend tied on points at the head of the championship.
    I watched the race, and Robert drove the way he should have. Not once did I see him kerb cutting or blocking.

Sebastien is just not man enough to admit he was bested

I saw this race and have to say it was probably the best Champ Car race I've seen. Some great racing once the rain started to fall, it was a question of whoever could keep it on the island would win, and Doornbos was the only one of the leading pack who didn't spin or end up on the grass at some point. I guess Bourdais is probably more p!ssed at himself because he looked to have the race in the bag but made a couple of errors in the slippery conditions.

That being said I can see Bourdais's point. In 'normal' racing terms Doornbos did nothing wrong, however Champ Car has the ridiculous rule that a car is not allowed to deviate from the racing line to defend position, ie "blocking". As Bourdais states he didn't attempt to block Doornbos, but Doornbos DID "block" Bourdais on a few occasions. Doornbos' driving would have been legitimate in any other circuit racing series in the world (and quite right too), but technically he probably should have been penalised in some way due to the nonsensical rules.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I saw this race and have to say it was probably the best Champ Car race I've seen. Some great racing once the rain started to fall, it was a question of whoever could keep it on the island would win, and Doornbos was the only one of the leading pack who didn't spin or end up on the grass at some point. I guess Bourdais is probably more p!ssed at himself because he looked to have the race in the bag but made a couple of errors in the slippery conditions.

That being said I can see Bourdais's point. In 'normal' racing terms Doornbos did nothing wrong, however Champ Car has the ridiculous rule that a car is not allowed to deviate from the racing line to defend position, ie "blocking". As Bourdais states he didn't attempt to block Doornbos, but Doornbos DID "block" Bourdais on a few occasions. Doornbos' driving would have been legitimate in any other circuit racing series in the world (and quite right too), but technically he probably should have been penalised in some way due to the nonsensical rules.
    Those rules are both ridiculous and stupid at the same time.

We've got the same stupid rules for the V8's here i think. They allow blocking for the last 2 laps it is though i think. Until then i think its 1 block allowed, then they start handing out penalties.
    I am the Stig

Sebastien shouldn't be complaining, since he jumped the start and wasn't penalised.

That was the best Champ Car race I've seen in a long time.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Good Lord Bourdais is a whining little girl sometimes, this reminds me of his big cry last year when Will Power got that award over him.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Bourdais wants to come to F1 next year...he might be up for a rude awakening...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Bourdais wants to come to F1 next year...he might be up for a rude awakening...
    because he isn't good or his attitude at times?
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Well... Bourdais has never had his title threatened, so this is a rude awakening for him.

For those of you who forgot, Bourdais shared driving duty one of the 908is at Le Mans.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Minardi's website

http://www.minarditeamusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    because he isn't good or his attitude at times?
    because the racing rules are a bit different from those in the Champ car series. Doornbos comes from F1, and you may have seen the difference.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

those need captions

have a red bull with your big mac..

Thread Information