Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Racing forums


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
2010 Indy 500

NO US guys bothering to post ?


Could it be because Brits swept the baords ????
1 - Franchitti , 2 - Wheldon , 3 - Lloyd


AND best of all SCOT Dario Franchitti won for the second time

Well done mate !!!!

autosport.com - IndyCar News: Franchitti dominates the Indy 500

Watched the last 50 laps.
Scary accident with Conway, seems he was air lifted to hospital with a leg injury.


REALLY heart in mouth for Dario as he dropped 20mph trying to eek out the fuel to the end. NOT what I want in racing, but when it's a local then it's different. Bloody American site said Dario was from Edinburgh ... GET LOST, he's from Bathgate !!!!

Quote:
Speedway spokesman Paul Kelly says the air temperature above the paved surfaces at the speedway was 96 at 2:30 p.m., while the surface of the loop itself was 131 degrees.
OUCH, spectating must have been hard.
__________________
"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-30-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
cmcpokey's Avatar
cmcpokey cmcpokey is offline
Flat Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,039
Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey
i thought about posting about it, but it really wasnt anything to speak of. another spec racing series. i watched the whole thing, but it was struggling to keep my attention.
__________________
Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 PM
RacingManiac's Avatar
RacingManiac RacingManiac is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,457
Well its a good weather 500 for a change....it seems for a few years it was always rain threatened or delayed....
__________________
University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
www.fsae.utoronto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
i watched the whole thing,
Wow, you must liek punishing yourself.
I time it only ever to watch the last 30-odd laps of ovals.
Highlights are good enough for what came before.
I guess for most, highlights are fine for all of that one.
Just wanted to see Dario take it again
__________________
"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
cmcpokey's Avatar
cmcpokey cmcpokey is offline
Flat Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,039
Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Wow, you must liek punishing yourself.
I time it only ever to watch the last 30-odd laps of ovals.
Highlights are good enough for what came before.
I guess for most, highlights are fine for all of that one.
Just wanted to see Dario take it again
i have a bit of a ritual... watch monaco then go straight into watching indy. although this year it was turkey obviously. it is the only irl race i watch all of, and it is only because it is indy that i even consider it. i did make and eat breakfast during the race (benefits of living on the west coast) and the wife watched some shows on her computer. so it didn't really impact the day much at all. but i definitely could have lived with the highlights.
__________________
Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,074
I was cheering for Tags and Dario and am glad to see Dario win. I yelled at the TV for the last bit when he was eking every mL of fuel he had.

Tagliani started decently but there was one phase of the race where he absolutely dropped like a stone, didn't hear exactly why that was.

Only 1 American in the top 10 - Danica Patrick, who had a very quiet race and did decently for herself. TK did very well for himself - woulda been cool if he somehow came back from last to win.

pokey, I have sorta come to realize that I don't mind so much if a series is a spec series or not. As long as the racing's good then who cares? As much as I like to see manufacturer against manufacturer, it can lead to very shitty races (see F1 on and off in the past 10 years).

The main problem with this race wasn't that it was a spec series, it was that it's an oval. Ovals I find are pretty boring. I only saw the first 50 and last 30 (I fell asleep rather humoursly)

I caught an IRL race a few weeks back on a road course and it was quite entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM
PRC777's Avatar
PRC777 PRC777 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 210
State #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
Danica Patrick... did decently for herself.
Really? Dancia? I have a feeling that you meant this as an understatement.
No, that's really a surprise for me. So she finally shuts up for once. Or have I been badly misinformed by FOX Sports?
If yes, then damn you, FOX.
__________________
"Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 PM
cmcpokey's Avatar
cmcpokey cmcpokey is offline
Flat Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,039
Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
pokey, I have sorta come to realize that I don't mind so much if a series is a spec series or not. As long as the racing's good then who cares? As much as I like to see manufacturer against manufacturer, it can lead to very shitty races (see F1 on and off in the past 10 years).
i agree for the most part. midget racing is fantastic because they are all so similar, and it is on an oval, albeit dirt. but having differences of performance can be great, like today's turkey grand prix. but it is never good in IRL, have you seen one of their road course races?
Quote:
I caught an IRL race a few weeks back on a road course and it was quite entertaining.
oh, i suppose so. i am never entertained by their races. maybe that's a fault of the tracks they run on, which never seem to be dedicated tracks (besides infineon, which they run one of the crappy layouts). i would rather watch star mazda or one of the other feeder series than IRL.
__________________
Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
Really? Dancia? I have a feeling that you meant this as an understatement.
No, that's really a surprise for me. So she finally shuts up for once. Or have I been badly misinformed by FOX Sports?
If yes, then damn you, FOX.
Well, everyone likes to talk about how horrible she is, but she's not bad, just not a champion. Since most of our racing talent goes into NASCAR she's actually one of the best US drivers in open wheel racing. And it's not really her fault that everyone wants to interview her all the time.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
Well, everyone likes to talk about how horrible she is, but she's not bad, just not a champion. Since most of our racing talent goes into NASCAR she's actually one of the best US drivers in open wheel racing. And it's not really her fault that everyone wants to interview her all the time.
She seems like a bitch though from what I've heard her say in interviews.

I also think we all know that basically the only reason she's made it this far is because of her looks - I would be sure that she has absolutely the best crew that money can buy. From a young age I'd imagine that someone saw she was a decent driver who was also cute and figured they could make some money out of her.

It's worked out well.

It is annoying that the media fixates on her but I guess that's how shit goes. Crappy journalism has been the standard for most media outlets - especially TV - since it's inception.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
She seems like a bitch though from what I've heard her say in interviews.
To be honest I get that from a lot of drivers. I think it may just be one of those things that are hard to tell about a person in an interview. Or she could be. Meh, she's hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
I also think we all know that basically the only reason she's made it this far is because of her looks - I would be sure that she has absolutely the best crew that money can buy. From a young age I'd imagine that someone saw she was a decent driver who was also cute and figured they could make some money out of her.

It's worked out well.

It is annoying that the media fixates on her but I guess that's how shit goes. Crappy journalism has been the standard for most media outlets - especially TV - since it's inception.
Before this year I may have agreed with you. But she really hasn't had the best team this year; all of their drivers have struggled. She's still one of the best US drivers, so I'll cut her some slack.

I do find the fixation annoying, but it's the same for dale jr., so I don't agree with the people who say it's "just" because she's a woman. I think there's several things that go into it. Still, it annoys. Until sports illustrated gets involved, then I don't mind so much.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
To be honest I get that from a lot of drivers. I think it may just be one of those things that are hard to tell about a person in an interview. Or she could be. Meh, she's hot.
She is hot, but I was surprised to learn she's only 28 - she looks to me like she's about 32-35. I think I asked my buddy about his too and he said she looks to be in her 30s.

And yeah, she's hot but beh, there are so many better. The fact that she's hot and drives a car doesn't do anything for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
Before this year I may have agreed with you. But she really hasn't had the best team this year; all of their drivers have struggled. She's still one of the best US drivers, so I'll cut her some slack.

I do find the fixation annoying, but it's the same for dale jr., so I don't agree with the people who say it's "just" because she's a woman. I think there's several things that go into it. Still, it annoys. Until sports illustrated gets involved, then I don't mind so much.
I would imagine that GoDaddy are throwing money at Andretti though - maybe she doesn't have the best team this year, but I'd wager she has a decent budget for her car.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree about her getting where she is because she is a woman. Maybe she was amazing when she was young - I don't know for sure, but don't you think that the far more likely scenario is that that the decision was made by her sponsors when she was still a young lass to promote her over potentially better drivers because she was eminently more marketable? Surely there were better (male) drivers but they didn't get the sponsorship because they weren't as marketable as she would become. Atypical sexism!

Then again, that's the case for all sorts of drivers - what are the odds that we'd see so many sons of drivers in motorsport if they didn't have daddy's money and someone willing to cut them a fat cheque to recapture that old family glory? There are tons of garbage sons of successful drivers that get elevated to positions in motorsport because of their name - see Michael Andretti, for instance, or Nelson Piquet or whoever - the list goes on and on.

I guess if you can get somewhere in racing by having a name, then why not by having a vagina and a pretty face?

Dale Jr. pisses me off. There is a guy that has had everything given to him on a silver plate, including legions of fans for the sole reason that he is the son of one of NASCAR's most popular drivers. I try not to let what people think of him influence my liking of him, but then I heard him talk and he was a real dick (I guess pretty everyone that makes it to that level of racing is though). I also like it too much to see his legions of fans disappointed to see him get his ass whooped by two Californians and a guy driving a Toyota.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
She is hot, but I was surprised to learn she's only 28 - she looks to me like she's about 32-35. I think I asked my buddy about his too and he said she looks to be in her 30s.

And yeah, she's hot but beh, there are so many better. The fact that she's hot and drives a car doesn't do anything for me.
Yeah, it does a lot for me. I get so tired of "Yeah, I like cars." "What kind?" "Blue ones."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
I would imagine that GoDaddy are throwing money at Andretti though - maybe she doesn't have the best team this year, but I'd wager she has a decent budget for her car.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree about her getting where she is because she is a woman. Maybe she was amazing when she was young - I don't know for sure, but don't you think that the far more likely scenario is that that the decision was made by her sponsors when she was still a young lass to promote her over potentially better drivers because she was eminently more marketable? Surely there were better (male) drivers but they didn't get the sponsorship because they weren't as marketable as she would become. Atypical sexism!

Then again, that's the case for all sorts of drivers - what are the odds that we'd see so many sons of drivers in motorsport if they didn't have daddy's money and someone willing to cut them a fat cheque to recapture that old family glory? There are tons of garbage sons of successful drivers that get elevated to positions in motorsport because of their name - see Michael Andretti, for instance, or Nelson Piquet or whoever - the list goes on and on.

I guess if you can get somewhere in racing by having a name, then why not by having a vagina and a pretty face?

Dale Jr. pisses me off. There is a guy that has had everything given to him on a silver plate, including legions of fans for the sole reason that he is the son of one of NASCAR's most popular drivers. I try not to let what people think of him influence my liking of him, but then I heard him talk and he was a real dick (I guess pretty everyone that makes it to that level of racing is though). I also like it too much to see his legions of fans disappointed to see him get his ass whooped by two Californians and a guy driving a Toyota.
I think we actually agree here. I don't dissagree that being a hot female driver helps her marketability and thus promotionability. I just think that all these people who think she has no talent are wrong. She has managed to come in fairly high in points a couple of times and no amount of money thrown my way would ever achieve that. To compete at that level you have to have skill. She just doesn't have the same level as, say, Schumacher.

But the media pays attention, which keeps the sponsors happy and bloggers mad, which helps to keep her in the spotlight.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
Yeah, it does a lot for me. I get so tired of "Yeah, I like cars." "What kind?" "Blue ones."
Well - let me be clear, the fact that she is hot and drives cars doesn't do it for me. That doesn't mean that it would be the case for other women.

I haven't met any girls that are substantially interested in and/or knowledgeable about cars. Even were you lucky enough to find such a woman and wanted to pursue a relationship with her, you'd have to have some emotional connection with her as well as find her attractive.

How many women in anyone's life fit the dream car guy's criteria listed above?

The closest thing I knew to that was my ex - who in many was was (and is) very awesome. She'd watch hockey with me and I'd explain how shit works and who the players were, and she took interest in it.

Her grandmother - who unfortunately recently passed away - was a Formula 1 fan. Keep in mind, this woman was in her late 70s, was from Romania and an F1 fan! How rare and awesome is that? Anyways, my ex (now "just friend" I suppose) used to watch some races or highlights and read some shit and had a rudimentary knowledge of the sport. I never exploited it when we were dating but I definitely regret not attempting to watch races with her.

Sometimes I tell ya, I miss being with that girl.

Sorry to bore you all with intimate details of my personal life.

wwgkd, you keep on trucking and maybe you'll find a hot chick that finds 572 crate engines nearly as sexy as you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
I watched it, but unfortunately it was on Car Channel, with a Dutch commentator, located in Holland, who had absolutely no idea what is important for an Indy race and what the drivers were actually doing. (Even though the Penske crew had mentioned duuring a live interview that Helio could not make to the end, the guy kept talking about a brilliant strategy from the Penske crew, but we got all the dis-information about Danica. If only he would have read Marshall's Indy Preview, he might have been much better informed)
For the first two hours Motors TV was broadcasting the ALMS race at Laguna from two weeks ago, so that was a very good alternative.
Good race from Dario, he was easily the quickest man on the track when needed. Pity about the yellow, because now we will never know what the last lap would have brought if Weldon could have gone full throttle (which I actually doubt as all drivers close behind Dario were in sync).
And you two above, stop talking about Danica.............
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Indy 500 winning Chaparral, McLaren's 1970 debutant and new Maybach and Volvo ... Wouter Melissen Website discussion 2 05-19-2010 06:28 AM
Chevrolet Corvette (C6) Indy 500 Pace Cars Gt1Street Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 13 08-23-2008 03:10 AM
Amazing pics of Indy 500 crash! Jack_Bauer Multimedia 31 07-05-2005 04:12 AM
Indy 500 this weekend Jack_Bauer Racing forums 27 05-30-2005 10:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 AM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com