Thread: V8 supercars vs BTTC and DTM

DTM hands down, just my style of cars
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

The BTCC's a bit rubbish, especially as all the manufacturers are always threatening to pull out.

There are some really top-notch track battles sometimes though.

I think that if the same sort of racing can be achieved by the proposed SCV8 championship it will be even more fun.

The cars are almost silhouette, but they keep the manufacturer's original wheelbase measurements for the different cars, big V8s and rearwheel drive.
    Thanks for all the fish

Wheelbase and overhangs are just a couple of things that AVESCO are thinking about controlling for parity now though, although the cars still have the original chassis and are actually made on the same production lines as the Falcons and Commodores on the roads.
    I am the Stig

The BTCC cars are very impressive to watch with those fantastic battles on track and naughty driving manners. The cars themselves may be underpowered but the go and sound faster than they really are. BTCC cars are actually as fast as the porsche GT3 cup cars around some tracks (atleast they were at knockhill this year) despite having far less power, displacement etc. Touring cars make up on GT cars in corners because of the suspension, chassis etc. DTM cars are the fasted type of closed wheel racer behind LMP cars. That says it all.

today I watched part of the Bathurst 500 on Motors TV. Apart from the different paint jobs, I had the impression that I was looking at a race between 10 year old Toyota Carinas. The resemblence is actually striking....
    The race itself was nice to watch, especially during the rain intermezzo.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    today I watched part of the Bathurst 500 on Motors TV. Apart from the different paint jobs, I had the impression that I was looking at a race between 10 year old Toyota Carinas. The resemblence is actually striking....
    The race itself was nice to watch, especially during the rain intermezzo.
    It was interested indeed, wouldn't mind those cars in some European tracks.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

nice vintage pic of 1969 Bathurst 500 (mile)

a couple of Holden Monaro GTS 350 sandwiched between two Falcon GT-HO (Phase 1), about to overwhelm a Cooper S on the climb into the Cutting
    Attached Images Attached Images

I quite enjoyed the bathurst race on sunday. Some good racing and some interesting faults.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I watched about five laps in the middle of it before my friend and I started playing Forza 2. Hopefully Bathurst will end up as a DLC track for Forza 3, the devs have stated that they wanted to do it but didn't have the time/resources.

i would like to see more manufacturers in ATCC, like how it was back in the day. not straight BTCC/DTM cars, but those manufacturers building cars to ATCC spec.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think ATCC would be more likely to have a bigger field if they picked an internationally recognised spec to use. Maybe it should be one that Ford and Holden could build to if they wanted.

The only international spec out there is S2000 though, and there wouldnt be much fan support for such a move. Theres talk of changing the current formula around 2011-2012 but that would be to more of a standard chassis/floorplan setup where any manufacturer can use the top hat of their intended model and have the competitive chassis layout.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    The only international spec out there is S2000 though, and there wouldnt be much fan support for such a move. Theres talk of changing the current formula around 2011-2012 but that would be to more of a standard chassis/floorplan setup where any manufacturer can use the top hat of their intended model and have the competitive chassis layout.
    So.. nascar then. Shame..

Don't worry. Apparently the spec chassis idea (a la Nascar) has been ruled out. They want to keep V8 engines, four opening doors and keep the cost of constructing the cars below $250,000 (V8 cars far away from ordinary motors).

There have even been rumours or suggestions that the series could move from Commodores and Falcons to Holden Cruze and Ford Focus size cars. This would only happen if Holden started to sell more Cruzes than they do Commodores.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Why does everyone always jump straight to NASCAR when spec chassis are mentioned?

I think more than likely theyre going to go to a spaceframe type chassis, and move away from the current system of chopping the stock chassis to fit a predetermined silhouette.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information