Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "You can make a difference assignment"

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Because those are the only responses people give, AMERICAN civil rights activists, and their impact on the world amounted to nothing...
    On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hate America? I'm thinking it hovers around 9.5

Because those are the only responses people give, AMERICAN civil rights activists, and their impact on the world amounted to nothing...
    any small impact there words or actions had changed the world.

Moreso than someone being so negative about their actions and those who bring attention to them.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hate America? I'm thinking it hovers around 9.5
    Here we go, if you hate war, imperialism and capitalism then youre anti american...

Come to think of it, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    any small impact there words or actions had changed the world.

Moreso than someone being so negative about their actions and those who bring attention to them.
    Ask people around the world and they dont know who the **** they are, they may have briefly HEARD of them but dont know anything about them. However ask them who Nelson Mandela or Marcus Garvey were and they most likely know. American civil rights leaders are exactly that, american, and their impact was felt only in america...

Ask people around the world and they dont know who the **** they are, .
    But that's all about "publicity"
    The task is " the idea that one person can change the world "

So it's not so much WHO has WHAT
    Hence the suggest of McAdam. Next to nobody knows that he existed or that he "invented" the asphalt surface but everyone benefits from it and everyone wants one to be past their house
    So he is little known, but his "invention" made the wide adoption and usage of cars possible.

Likewise, Penicillin. We'd be a much smaller population on this world without it. How much of a "change" did the discoverer of THAT make ??

Personaly I think higher marks will be given for an unusal but effective person than one that everyone knows ( and the tutor has probably read reports on a thousand times )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    But that's all about "publicity"
    The task is " the idea that one person can change the world "

So it's not so much WHO has WHAT
    Hence the suggest of McAdam. Next to nobody knows that he existed or that he "invented" the asphalt surface but everyone benefits from it and everyone wants one to be past their house
    So he is little known, but his "invention" made the wide adoption and usage of cars possible.

Likewise, Penicillin. We'd be a much smaller population on this world without it. How much of a "change" did the discoverer of THAT make ??

Personaly I think higher marks will be given for an unusal but effective person than one that everyone knows ( and the tutor has probably read reports on a thousand times )
    On that basis, I'd throw Tesla in to the pot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    On that basis, I'd throw Tesla in to the pot, too.
    But not Maxwell ? Without his electromagnetic equations none of the rest could have followed
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Einstein? Freud?

they altered the world
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Einstein? Freud?

they altered the world
    American civil rights leaders did NOT alter the WORLD, they altered AMERICA...

America was one of the first countries in which slavery, segregation etc was abolished. leading the world in the practice.

Notice it was not THE first, but certainly one of the trendsetters.

tell me thats not changing the world.

America was one of the first countries in which slavery, segregation etc was abolished. leading the world in the practice.

erm ... NO.

Care to elaborate? or just be negative?

tell me thats not changing the world.
    youve got it backwards i think. i love america...ya'll know im one of the biggest flag wavers in here but America was one of the last "civilized" (for lack of a better word) to abolish slavery and segregation. the only major player to have a worse track record than america in that regard is south africa and south africa isn't really a major player.

to be honest as far as "changing the world, or making a difference" rosa/mlk/malcom x/all those civil rights leaders are little more than a drop in the barrel. first of all their contributions were not felt the world over, it was really just in America, and on top of that they didn't even really affect all of America just about 12 percent although they had a decent lasting impact for future generations their story is more of a "feel good story" rather than making a difference on a global scale.

if you wanna talk about one person making a difference (some say for the better, some would dissagree) talk about the ultimate difference maker...the person who eventually became the foundation for people like MLK, Rosa Parks, Mother Teresa, and 33% of the worlds population today. A person who directly led to America and various other countries being formed. some of the nicest people, and alternatively some of the biggest, most gruesom wars known to man...yeah thats right...im talking about JESUS CHRIST. He was one man who started from scratch and he has changed the world more than anyone else. And as much as you christian haters might say his followers or whatever do more harm than good, you gotta admit he has a huuuge influence and his teachers are legit and they are provided a lot more good than harm.

Another person who had a major impact on world events was gravilo princip. the guy who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophie which triggered world war 1, which led to world war two, which led to the cold war which ultimately led to a complete shift in the balance of power and ultimately has changed the course of world history, led to the atomic age (among many other technological revolutions space race, ect...). While many might say the outcome of his actions were bad, the bottom line is he single handedly made a huuuuge difference in the world.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    youve got it backwards i think. i love america...ya'll know im one of the biggest flag wavers in here but America was one of the last "civilized" (for lack of a better word) to abolish slavery and segregation. the only major player to have a worse track record than america in that regard is south africa and south africa isn't really a major player.

to be honest as far as "changing the world, or making a difference" rosa/mlk/malcom x/all those civil rights leaders are little more than a drop in the barrel. first of all their contributions were not felt the world over, it was really just in America, and on top of that they didn't even really affect all of America just about 12 percent although they had a decent lasting impact for future generations their story is more of a "feel good story" rather than making a difference on a global scale.

if you wanna talk about one person making a difference (some say for the better, some would dissagree) talk about the ultimate difference maker...the person who eventually became the foundation for people like MLK, Rosa Parks, Mother Teresa, and 33% of the worlds population today. A person who directly led to America and various other countries being formed. some of the nicest people, and alternatively some of the biggest, most gruesom wars known to man...yeah thats right...im talking about JESUS CHRIST. He was one man who started from scratch and he has changed the world more than anyone else. And as much as you christian haters might say his followers or whatever do more harm than good, you gotta admit he has a huuuge influence and his teachers are legit and they are provided a lot more good than harm.

Another person who had a major impact on world events was gravilo princip. the guy who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophie which triggered world war 1, which led to world war two, which led to the cold war which ultimately led to a complete shift in the balance of power and ultimately has changed the course of world history, led to the atomic age (among many other technological revolutions space race, ect...). While many might say the outcome of his actions were bad, the bottom line is he single handedly made a huuuuge difference in the world.
    Thanks for clearing up my thoughts on that issue - i'm happy to be wrong if it's been explained properly to me.

You've come up with some interesting ideas actually - the Assassin is one i'd never have thought of.

Care to elaborate? or just be negative?
    I think I was putting in as much work as you had in the original point

OK. I googled on your behalf to confirm some dates .....

23 February 1807: British Parliament votes to abolish the trade in slaves.
    22 September 1862: Emancipation Proclamation issued by US President Abraham Lincoln.
    1 January 1863: US Emancipation Proclamation comes into force.

Thread Information