Thread: Berger buys 50% of Toro Rosso

Berger buys 50% of Toro Rosso

His goal is to be a team owner in 2008.

(GMM) Gerhard Berger's recent hints about returning to F1 finally made sense on Thursday, as the veteran of 210 grands prix has bought a 50 per cent stake in Red Bull's 'Toro Rosso' team.

As the Faenza based team's new 'STR01' car debuted at Jerez, it was announced that the deal would see fellow Austrian and friend Dietrich Mateschitz buy half of 46-year-old Berger's shipping company.

Berger, who won ten times and last raced in 1997 but continued until 2003 as joint BMW motor sport director, will be an STR and Red Bull Racing advisor, but the finer details of his formula one involvement are not known.

He commented: ''I am aware that my formula one know-how is very much valued by Red Bull in general and by ... Toro Rosso ... in particular.''

In Spain, meanwhile, Scuderia Toro Rosso's 'new' car - rolled out by Vitantonio Liuzzi - was observed as very much resembling the 2005 Red Bull RB1, but with developed side pods and a new engine cover.

Elsewhere in Thursday's headlines, Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn said in a news conference that he would review the French carmaker's involvement in formula one on a 'year after year' basis.

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/new...osso/view.html

i don't know why red bull wants to sell a team they have just created
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    i don't know why red bull wants to sell a team they have just created
    The fact that Gerhard Berger has 50% of the shares (At least that's the rumour, whether true or not) doesn't mean that Red Bull doesn't control the management of the company. After all they need expert knowledge on the field. Gerhard Berger along with his colleagues have a lot to offer.

Whether this deal is going to pay off, only time will tell. From what it seems they can use technology from mother-company Red-Bull (Maybe they can take advantage of economies of scale )

Thread Information