Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michelin to sue FIA after tyre tender decision

Michelin to sue FIA after tyre tender decision

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.net
    Michelin has announced it is has initiated legal proceedings against the FIA, following the news at the end of last month that Pirelli will become the control tyre for the FIA WRC from 2008-2010.

Michelin currently supply all the teams in the World Rally Championship, via sister brand, BFGoodrich, however the recent decision by the World Motor Sport Council has left the French tyre manufacturer extremely upset.

Indeed BFGoodrich rally competition director, MR F. Henry-Biabaud has already said that the decision was obviously based on criteria unknown to them and 'unrelated to sports'.

A brief statement to the media read: "Michelin has initiated legal proceedings against the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile… and requests that the 27 February 2007 decision of the World Motor Sport Council of the FIA granting Pirelli the exclusive supply of tyres for the 2008-2009-2010 World Rally Championships (WRC) be annulled due to irregularities in the tender process."

The FIA has yet to issue a counter-statement, if it does, however, Michelin and the FIA have not been on good terms since the United States Grand Prix farce back in 2005.

Then Michelin failed to supply the appropriate tyres and all its teams were forced to miss the event following the parade lap, much to the embarrassment of all involved.

More to follow as it develops...
    I knew it was coming

Michelin are getting wiped out of every FIA competitions I see. Is there a particular reason for them being replaced by Pirelli?

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Michelin are getting wiped out of every FIA competitions I see. Is there a particular reason for them being replaced by Pirelli?
    It seems as though the FIA is playing hate on Michelin.

Well the question begs; is this coincidence or becoming a pattern? This really seems odd as Michelin are being completely wiped out of WRC by this move. At least in F1, Bridgestone already had an existing supply to teams, and there was that political issue at Indy.

Anyone know if MotoGP are moving to a control tyre?
    I am the Stig

The 2005 US GP at Indy fiasco has effected the FIA's decisions in categories of racing it governs too much. The FIA needs to look at the present and the future, not the past. One event shouldn't spark such stupid rules as a control tyre. Yes I know the FIA is afraid of a repeat of the 2005 US GP at Indy, but imagine this: What if a problem that could jeopordise the safety of the competitors arrises, and the whole field has to be withdrawn? Wouldn't that be far worse? Surely a few cars running is better than none at all.

I hope Michelin wins in court.

One event shouldn't spark such stupid rules as a control tyre.
    Eh?

Isnt this about Michelin being snubbed? They go from total supply to losing the contract for the supply?

Control tyres RARELY have safety issues. Theyre usually that far back in development sense that theres very little risk of anything negative happening. That and the lower cost (due largely to the lack of development) will be the main reasons why theyve gone that direction for both F1 and WRC now.
    I am the Stig

Having a control tyre helps close up the competition as well
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Having a control tyre helps close up the competition as well
    but unlike in F1, the rallye tyres can be used to further develop normal road going ones. Introducing a standard tyre will reduce development possibilities.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i think that michelin should shut up and accept anything the FIA throws at them.

INDY 2005

Quote Originally Posted by torque55 View Post
    i think that michelin should shut up and accept anything the FIA throws at them.

INDY 2005
    including a ban on using Michelin tyres?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by torque55 View Post

INDY 2005
    Or ban the Indy circuit as it's surface does not conform to modern F1 requirements
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

FIA is full of bullshit.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

FIA stands for F***ing Irritating Authority or something like that.

As for Indy 2005, I agree with Matra. There's speak of Indy being run in an opposite direction as to how it's run now (can't remember if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise) apparently to accommodate MotoGP.

And guess what, F1 will probably do the same (if F1 is to stay at Indy), because, as it turns out, one of the turns are completely different to any other modern F1 track. This makes it unsafe (hence the Michelen debacle) not only for MotoGP, but for F1 as well.

Blame 2005 not only on Indy, but mostly on the FIA's bureaucracy and incompetency.

Of course it couldn't be that Pirelli simply put in the better bid, could it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Of course it couldn't be that Pirelli simply put in the better bid, could it?
    That could well be, but if Michelin would protest it could well relate to the tender procedures, because if they clearly would have lost on the basis of objective judgemental criteria I doubt whether they would protest in this way.

Thread Information