Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone slammed as worst circuit in F1.

Silverstone slammed as worst circuit in F1.

Following years of criticism and question marks over its future in the top flight, Silverstone has once again been blasted as Formula 1's worst circuit by the most powerful man in the sport.

Bernie Ecclestone cast further doubt on the British Grand Prix's future on the F1 calendar, with Silverstone's contract up for renewal in 2009 and a 25 million British Racing Drivers' Club-approved redevelopment programme in the pipeline. He insisted the government should step in to take some of the burden.

Britain is supposed to be the heart of Formula 1 racing,” the BBC quotes the 77-year-old as saying, and our circuit is bottom of the list. They know exactly what they have to do; they've known for at least five years.

It's not for us to say where the money comes from, but it's strange because most of the events we have now are supported by governments. With a tiny percentage of what the government are wasting on the Olympics, they could support Silverstone.

Speaking at the launch of the official season review DVD, the sport's supremo went on to express his disappointment that no more movement had been made on the proposal to stage an F1 race around the streets of London.

"Mayor Ken Livingstone was very helpful and we laid a plan out of what we could do," he said. "It would have happened it was just a question of where the money was going to come from."

"It would cost a small amount compared to what they're spending on the Olympics. If they look at it from a pure business point-of-view all the revenue it would bring in I just don't understand why it isn't happening."
    How can Bernie even think to have Silverstone dropped? This year it had the biggest crowd draw I have EVER seen at Silverstone. Tickets for 2008 sold out A WEEK after ticket sales opened!

Clearly Bernie is not caring for the fans, he's just a profit driven mad man. Whatever happened to F1 being for the fans, like all racing should be?

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    How can Bernie even think to have Silverstone dropped? This year it had the biggest crowd draw I have EVER seen at Silverstone. Tickets for 2008 sold out A WEEK after ticket sales opened!

Clearly Bernie is not caring for the fans, he's just a profit driven mad man. Whatever happened to F1 being for the fans, like all racing should be?
    Have you ever been to Silverstone? The facilities really are bad, very bad.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Have you ever been to Silverstone? The facilities really are bad, very bad.
    They've made some improvements, but yes, I know that the paddock area definitely needs to be demolished and a new one built...

It really needs to be restored. It's just obvious - even Interlagos with it's awful tarmac didn't collect so many negative comments.
    BUT I will agree with Zytek_Fan that they can't just drop it - it's one of the most famous tracks worldwide. We have already lost Indianapolis...
    Last edited by faksta; 11-22-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Having been there in the summer, it's difficult to disagree.

In desperate need of some serious TLC. And I really hope they do, because F1 without a British GP wouldn't quite be right.

Do all the drivers still slam the Hungarian GP (except Jenson, of course)?
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    Do all the drivers still slam the Hungarian GP (except Jenson, of course)?
    Yes they do , even if average speed has increased from 160 kph to 180. The infrastructure for the spectators aren't that good either, but for the press it's one of the most modern. I think each year we should flood the track with water.

Silverstone is pretty bad compare to the newer circuit, having been there the first time this year and using the garages. Sure they are nicer than what we used to have at Formula Student(tents), but the garage themselves aren't good. Even the support paddock at Indianapolis is better equipped.

BRDC building is pretty cool though, with the most incredible model car collection I've seen...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    It really needs to be restored. It's just obvious - even Interlagos with it's awful tarmac didn't collect so many negative comments.
    BUT I will agree with Zytek_Fan that they can't just drop it - it's one of the most famous track worldwide. We have already lost Indianapolis...
    About Interlagos, for this year race the tarmac is new and this year the drivers didn'd complained about the bumps that they hate so much, and Interlagos is trayng to became one of the most modern track (just remenber, Interlagos was one of the fisrt track to replace the grass to tarmac).

Quote Originally Posted by Luiz_Araujo View Post
    About Interlagos, for this year race the tarmac is new and this year the drivers didn'd complained about the bumps that they hate so much, and Interlagos is trayng to became one of the most modern track (just remenber, Interlagos was one of the fisrt track to replace the grass to tarmac).
    Yes, I know that the tarmac is new since this year. That's why I wrote "didn't collect" instead of "doesn't collect". In my opinion, Interlagos is very interesting track, too, mainly because of the relief. And the new tarmac was told to be very changeable during one racing session, which adds some spice moments in racing there.

worst circuit in F1 is no doubt Monaco, but Bernie has no intention to slam that, as it is the playground of the rich and famous.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

how will the street course in Spain be a better one than Silverstone?
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    the culinary facilities in Spain will immensely stand out over the "fish and chips" offered at the Silverstone "restaurants"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    The track is not the problem. It's all the buildings around it.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    worst circuit in F1 is no doubt Monaco, but Bernie has no intention to slam that, as it is the playground of the rich and famous.

Even Monaco now has a dedicated pit facility for F1, which is probably better equipped than Silverstone's garage area....

besides, the traffic access surrounding Silverstone is pretty bad, sure they have highways near by, but they are connected to the tracks with 2 lane road, I can only imagine the congestion during the GP weekend...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information