Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what would make f1 more exiting

Here's a great idea for making F1 more exciting... watch BTCC, or V8 supercars, or DTM, or rallycross, or GP2.... or any of the other fifty million motorsports that ALREADY HAVE all these things people want in F1.

I really don't get it. If it's dull - stop watching it, if you don't but want exciting motor sport: see first para.
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-21-2006 at 10:22 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Problem seems to be that people ARE stopping... Someone said in another thread that they were sick of the speculation over what was going to happen with next year ie driver line ups and engine deals and rule changes and every other thing thats happening outside of the racing. Thats because up until the last round, the racing was abysmally boring, it was like watching over 90's lawn bowls on the abc at 4am. Or possibly worse...
    Somewhere along the line, and before the start of next season, the clowns that are running the circus called F1, HAVE to find a way to spice the racing up, because quite frankly, Nascar, IRL, Cart, V8 supertaxi's, DTM, hell, even the under 9's at the local go kart track are more entertaining to watch, than that mega mega expensive 90 minute advertorial we call Formula One.
    Its not the pinnacle of motorsport anymore. It might as well BE a control formula, its a sparrow farts from becoming one anyway.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

I'm sure someone mentioned it, but, major reduce in aero, full-on slicks with wider rear tires, heavier cars, TCS off. The paddles can stay I guess.

Fenders and ovals.

[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    Granted that the Fang wouldnt know what to do with the grip, but him being a racer, I'm sure he'd soon figure it out... Senna had the grip, that williams he had was the most technically advanced F1 car ever built. Before the wankers get up and say oh but what about the aero, just remember the active suspension, the auto box, and every other whizbang gadget that car had... To make F1 more exciting? halve the aero grip, put the slicks back on, get the power back over 1000hp, unrestrict the engine format, ie allow turbos, super chargers, rotaries, v4's 6's 8's etc, with an equivalency formula for max capacity. allow alternative fuels, make the boxs full manual without poofy paddles, they belong in a boat... and take off the traction control, if the champ cars can do it with a turboed motor, then 'the best drivers in the world' can do it in a canoe... theres my buck fitty

Dude, I just have to reply to this!

And before I begin, I'll admit I'm a Senna fanboy.

Firstly, Senna only drove for Williams like for 2 months (he was killed at Imola).

Secondly, active suspension was outlawed at the end of '93 (could've been '92).

Thirdly, I know for a fact that by the first race of '92, Senna still had to make do witha manual gearbox in his McLaren Honda while most others had the luxury of semi-automatics.

Fourth, "that williams he had was the most technically advanced F1 car ever built" is a bit off, since as already mentioned, he only raced it for about 2 months + it had no Active suspension. The FW92 or FW93, yes those might qualify as the most advanced Williams ever, but certainly not the FW94.

Just had to clear that up.

To make F1 more exciting? I say let the manufacturers use whichever engine-format they choose, limit the power to say 900bhp and torque to no more than say 500N.m. No rev limit, but limit the size of the fuel-tanks and add a 20sec. addition to the total time the car must be stationary inside the pits. This would mean if you refuel the car in 7sec. you'll have to wait another 20sec. before you can leave the pits. Increase the additional time incrementally every year.
    Min weight (dry) would be 500kg's. Keep the tyres the same width as they are now, just make them real slicks for Pete's sake. And allow slightly lower profiles to be used, say 16" wheels with tyres to match.
    We want bigger diffusers! Keep the wings as they are (we all know you wouldn't want to get rid of all that advertising space), just limit the angles they can be fixed at. This, together with the larger diffusers, can mean the same amount of downforce with less of a negative impact on cars following eachother, which hopefully will mean easier overtaking.
    Bring back pre-2001 qualifying format, now!
    Allow the cars to be a bit wider. 2m isn't necessary, 1,9m is enough. The cars as they are now at 1,8m look more like darts than cars!
    Fire Herman Tillke! He molested Hockenheim and he's doing the rest of the tracks no favors either! Instead give us more tracks like Spa, and have a race at the Nurburgring as well while we're talking soup. And no, not the pansy modern version, but the old track with all the bells-and-whistles! Throw in just one oval as well for the US folks' sake! Would be nice to see just how fast an F1 car can go with minimal wings and long gears...

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    Would be nice to see just how fast an F1 car can go with minimal wings and long gears...
    Ask Honda
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Ask Honda

I know, Salt flats run attempt to top 400km/h?

Would still be interesting to see what they can do on tarmac instead of salt.

Probably faster considering there'd be more traction.
    I am the Stig

How about they make F1 like those dog races. You know, where a toy resembling a bunny gets pulled on a railing in front of the dogs?

In F1 they could have all the nasty people of the world (Ecclestone, Gates etc.) be tied into a similar device (would probably have to be wheeled in this case), then all the F1 drivers could chase the thing around the track. The twist: Whoever catches up to the thing gets to run-over whatever is inside. An F1 car is light, so they'll probably have to do more than one attempt to make sure the prize is well and truly dead. Slow-mo moments aplenty...

No rev limit, but limit the size of the fuel-tanks and add a 20sec. addition to the total time the car must be stationary inside the pits. This would mean if you refuel the car in 7sec. you'll have to wait another 20sec. before you can leave the pits. Increase the additional time incrementally every year.
    Bring back pre-2001 qualifying format, now!
    Allow the cars to be a bit wider. 2m isn't necessary, 1,9m is enough. The cars as they are now at 1,8m look more like darts than cars!
    Hahaha, hope to God that was an experiment in artificial stupidity. 20 secs?

One of the cars in every race should randomly be selected to have a bomb built into it that would go off without warning during the race. That way all the drivers would be scared for their lives because none of them would know who would be blown to pieces. Drivers would avoid each other on the track for fear that the guy next to them might blow up at any second. It would make for some great sketchy driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmacher
    Hahaha, hope to God that was an experiment in artificial stupidity. 20 secs?

What if it wasn't...?

Anyways, I just follow the results of GPs these days, as I've stopped actively watching it (staying up late just to follow the show) since about '98.

When they brought in the grooved slicks I kind of realized that it was turning into a joke.

I share Kipling's view: rather watch something else.

When they brought in the grooved slicks I kind of realized that it was turning into a joke.

Actually I found the adding 10cm to avoid resemblance to darts bit facetious!
    Last edited by Nazmacher; 08-24-2006 at 03:46 AM.

My opinion.

Lose the tarmac tracks and go to dirt ovals.

That will introduce them to car control.

Quote Originally Posted by beast11
    My opinion.

Lose the tarmac tracks and go to dirt ovals.

That will introduce them to car control.

Don't, even for a second doubt their ability to control an automobile! Remember they were't born into F1, they have been around the place.

Thread Information