Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda set to quit F1

Honda set to quit F1

From Formula 1 & MotoGP | Motorsport News | Crash.Net

Honda set to announce plans to withdraw from Formula One with team going up for sale.

Honda is set to make the shock announcement on Friday morning that its Formula One team is to be placed up for sale.

According to the Reuters news agency, team bosses Ross Brawn and Nick Fry told a meeting of the Formula One Teams' Association today [Thursday], that Honda had set itself a deadline of a month to find a buyer for the Brackley-based squad.

Should no buyer be found, Honda would become the second F1 outfit to fold during 2008 – following in the footsteps of former Honda 'B' team Super Aguri.

After a fine season in 2006, when Jenson Button won in Hungary and Honda took fourth in the constructors' championship, the team has gone into a sharp decline, managing just six points in 2007 and finishing ahead of only Force India in the points in 2008.

That came despite Honda spending more on its F1 programme than anyone else, according to a recent investigation by the Financial Times - with the huge outlay not being rewarded with results on track.

With the current global economic situation, it remains to be seen who would have the financial backing to launch a serious bit to enter F1, especially with one of the worlds major car manufacturers seemingly set to reveal that it is no longer prepared to foot the bill.

Should the news be made official – with no comment having currently been made by Honda officials – then it would follow in the footsteps of the decision taken by Honda to cut production at its factory in Swindon, which will close for 50 days in early 2009.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm glad they have confirmed their participation thorugh the 2013 IndyCar Series. I'm excited about the return of turbos for 2011.

Nakamoto leaves Honda F1 team

autosport.com - F1 News: Nakamoto leaves Honda F1 team

More news by tomorrow

autosport.com - F1 News: Honda set to reveal F1 exit plans
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Holy crap this is huge - if Honda is leaving and Toyota is thinking of leaving and they can't find buyers or any competent buyers the sport is gonna be hugely damaged. Was Max right about all the cost cutting needed to save F1? Will Renault stick around if Alonso leaves? Is F1 gonna be privateers again? This is a freaking disaster. Maybe Bernie needs to start sharing money with the teams as opposed to hoarding it through all the ownership companies.

Was just about to post the same thing. Very worrying times indeed. Whilst it will be sad to see a team of their stature forced to leave the sport, you have to say that they only have themselves to blame. They have been spectacularly mismanaged for the past couple of years, and for them to have performed as poorly as they have given the money they have spent is nothing short of embarrassing. And I guess that's the crux of the matter; manufacturers compete in F1 to prove their mettle and their expertise. When they stuff things up as horrifically as Honda have been doing for the past couple of years they just prove themselves to be incompetent.

More news on the matter here:

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | Honda poised to quit Formula One
    pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

It seems to me an easy way out without too much humiliation.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Wow. This sucks. What went wrong with the Honda team?

Rumor has it that Peugeot will buy the team.

(Ted Joans)

I hear that mentioned but on another forum - I guess they'd drop their LMP program in that case as I can't see them running in both. The further rumour was that Todt would return to Peugeot but this sounds like rampant speculation at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I hear that mentioned but on another forum - I guess they'd drop their LMP program in that case as I can't see them running in both. The further rumour was that Todt would return to Peugeot but this sounds like rampant speculation at that point.
    That's pretty interesting.

If true, I hope they wouldn't have to drop their LMP program though.
    You can call me scott.

Well, if you spend that much money for those results in this economic climate...

It's be pretty sweet if peugeot would run in both F1 and keep the LMP running.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I'm pretty much joining Honda in leaving F1.

do you think it may have some connection with the global crisis?
    12 cylinders or walk!

I'd bet it's a factor. They fund the team from vehicle sales basically....and 2009/10 isn't looking good.

Shame. I read an interview a while back with Reubens talking about how he was so pumped up for next year having Brawn and what not.

Sportscar racing is much more investment friendly at the moment.

Thread Information