Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen IV V8

Gen IV V8

The Gen 4 V8 sounds like a good engine. The pushrod engine will have a cam pahser and 3 valves per cylinder (2 intake , 1 exhaust). The 6.3L version will produce 373 Kw or maybe more.

373kw sounds like a good figure to go up against ford's supercharged DOHC 5.4L. whats the deal with the idea of having 2 camshafts?

it hasnt been confirmed that it will be a 3 valve per cylinder engine, gm was toying with that idea but doubted it would go into production in the near future or something

actually a while ago Wheels confirmed the Gen4 Australia would see would be a 3 valve version and i think they said the twin cam version would arrive at around 2007

I haven't heard anything about a twin cam version of the engine. I think it has been confirmed that the Gen 4 will be a 3 valve engine

GM about a year or so ago were talking about the possibility of the Gen4 being twin cam/4 valve per cylinder but if its still the original single cam design then honestly the cam phaser's gunna have as much use as they did on an XR6 VCT. the SOHC systems ford use and what holden will inadvertantly start using soon, are just a two stage system, not completely variable, as the whole idea is to retard or advance the intake camshaft relative to the exhaust camshaft or visa versa, so when the same camshaft operates both, its more like being able to have a normal camshaft at low revs and a hotter camshaft at higher RPM. well thats how i see it at least.

Well the twin cam inside the block whichi ehard GM was planning is an interesting concept but im wondering ahs anybody done this before?

nobody's done it before. plus anyone that puts 2 and 2 together, with the idea never been done before and GM saying its better than an equivalent DOHC valvetrain when the rest of the world is upgrading to DOHC will question what GM says about it. i have my worries about the actuation for the extra valve, based on the picture ive seen on the valve actuation. looks liek theres alot of inertia there
    I am the Stig

Well i persoanlly think they wouldof been better off making a SOHC with 4 valves per cylender to elimentate the push rods IMO. I wont go as far to say that the idea does deserve merit but i persoanlly wouldent bother.

well they were looking for the most power out of the least $$$'s, but making the engine OHC isnt that far out of reach. anyone thinking its stupid or impossible obviously hasnt seen the ford I6, they only just got rid of the shaft that filled the gap for the pushrod camshaft in the block
    I am the Stig

Well it most certianly isnt but that of course led wheels to call the engine a dinosaur which also brings me to my old mans coment "well the bloody commadoremotor isnt any newer and at least fords using OHC where holdens still using bloody pushrods"

well all the holdens 6s and 8s are dinosaurs really.....pushrod/2 valves per cylinder, inferior irs,.....and they still sell shitloads.i guess most people are nieve

holden spend alot more on marketing than ford. if they win something, they'll keep using it for marketing until they dont have it anymore, like with the COTY barina adds
    I am the Stig

yes i think ford are just grabbing on to the marketing thing, theyre getting theyre use out of the "car of the year award" and theyres a massive "falcon boss of v8 supercars" add in the city of where i live,with pics of the ambrose car and a pic of an standard xr8, as seen on the v8 supercar website.its bloody huge!

Well i got the beer albums for christmas and there is a few songs from the holden adds on it there is one song on it called Bohemian like you by the dandy warhols they used it in the convertable barina add with the black poodle getting its har rearranged, and its first line (which holden did use was) "you got a great car whats wrong with it today?"....that really does talk to me.

Thread Information