Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Technical forums

Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
The Special One

Porto - Portugal
How a differential works.

This video is stunning. I've never seen such a simple and clear explanation of how a differential works. For those who aren't yet sure of how it works is useful. For others, is still nice to watch.

Here's the link: YouTube - Around the Corner
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by McReis View Post
This video is stunning. I've never seen such a simple and clear explanation of how a differential works. For those who aren't yet sure of how it works is useful. For others, is still nice to watch.

very nice, now up for part 2, the limited slip differential
BTW the Lego film might also give some answers...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Rookie

IA
That video was awesome in that they actually built the differential and showed the purpouse of each mechanize. They definitely need one for an LSD.

On a modern open differential is it still common practice to connector the drive shaft to one of the half shafts? Or is the power sent to the differential itself and then split through the gears?

I ask because in my two RWD vehicles if I break the rear end loose while traveling straight they always want to rotate the same direction. So they are very easy to rotate counter-clockwise but it is a lot more work to go clockwise. If that is still common practice it would explain this behavior.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM

PEI,Canada
All i know is that its a bitch to replace when its broken. It broke on my car two weeks ago car less ever since, but she's back tomorrow hopefully.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Nice video. Very vintage, but still awesome. Entertaining too.

Amazing that Lego can reproduce these machines too. My Technic off roader has 3 differentials.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

No(r)way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McReis View Post

Nice to see you have switched to educational videos to fill your days at work. Think about if you got payed per video on you-tube you watched.. You would have been a millionaire.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

No(r)way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
That video was awesome in that they actually built the differential and showed the purpouse of each mechanize. They definitely need one for an LSD.

On a modern open differential is it still common practice to connector the drive shaft to one of the half shafts? Or is the power sent to the differential itself and then split through the gears?

I ask because in my two RWD vehicles if I break the rear end loose while traveling straight they always want to rotate the same direction. So they are very easy to rotate counter-clockwise but it is a lot more work to go clockwise. If that is still common practice it would explain this behavior.
I have wondered this also sometimes, but on fwd cars.
Since there are some snow up here the amount of hand-break slides is high.
There also i feel the the counter-clockwise direction is the easiest way.
I have often thought that your position in the car (left side for me) makes it psychological easier to go around counter clockwise. I also feel that I have more control going counter clockwise doing a hand break slide.

Though, I also have a RWD car with an LSD, which is used in winter time. The difference disappears on that car. It's very easy to go around, both ways.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

Really good find. I may send that off to some profs I know. Perhaps all these years later it will find use in school.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Rookie

IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
Though, I also have a RWD car with an LSD, which is used in winter time. The difference disappears on that car. It's very easy to go around, both ways.
I too would really like to get an LSD for my Celica just for the consistency, I think it would make driving in the snow a lot more enjoyable.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post

On a modern car (basically any time after the dif was invented) power always goes to the dif then to the two wheels.

The easiest way to think about how a LSD works is imagine a brake that tries to keep the left and right wheel spinning at the same speed. It makes it harder but not impossible for the wheels to spin separately. Basically all passive LSD's work that way. The difference is how they control the "brake". Some simple kinds are the spring loaded clutch pack which really is just a brake that tries to keep the two rear wheels spinning at the same speeds.

The viscous system in really simple terms (really really simple) is like having to paddle wheels in the same water. When the wheels spin at the same speed the paddles don't have to do anything. When they go at different speeds the paddles start to work against each other. Again, the system tries to make the wheels spin at the same speed.

Difs like the Torsen are more complex but ultimately they again try to apply the brakes between the two wheels.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by culver View Post
(basically any time after the dif was invented)
AFAIK differential gears were invented in 1897 by David Shearer of South Australia, who built a steam car with a differential inside left rear wheel hub.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

Let me clarify, after it was commonly found on cars (vs 1wd)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Rookie

IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by culver View Post
On a modern car (basically any time after the dif was invented) power always goes to the dif then to the two wheels.
That what I thought, but then what leads to the consistently asymmetric power delivery?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Fanatic

Connecticut, USA
Send a message via AIM to johnnynumfiv Send a message via MSN to johnnynumfiv
Spools> LSDs