Thread: Out with the old, in with the new at Toro Rosso

Out with the old, in with the new at Toro Rosso

Press Release from The Official F1 Website:

Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing has a thing about Sebastiens...

Quote Originally Posted by www.formula1.com
    Toro Rosso have confirmed that Switzerland's Sebastien Buemi will drive for the team in 2009. Buemi, who competed in GP2 last year, was Red Bull Racing's reserve driver in 2008 and has been supported by the Austrian drinks company as a member of its Junior Driver programme since 2005.

“We are delighted to welcome Sebastien, who was already part of the Red Bull family, to our team,” said Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost. “Our engineers have been impressed with his speed in the car and his ability to learn and progress during the testing he has carried out for us last year.

“That, along with some impressive performances in GP2 was enough to convince us to give him the drive. His appointment also fulfils the aims of the Red Bull Junior Driver programme and meets Dietrich Mateschitz’s intention to use Scuderia Toro Rosso as a showcase for young drivers the company has supported in the lower formulae.”

Twenty year-old Buemi first tested for Red Bull in 2007, whilst racing in the Formula Three Euroseries. In 2006, he competed in Formula Three, Formula Renault and the F3 Euroseries, while in 2005 he raced in the Formula BMW series, finishing the season second overall after winning seven events.

“I am naturally very happy to be driving for Scuderia Toro Rosso this year,” he said. “Being a Formula One driver has always been my target, since I first started racing. This year, I will do all I can to bring home the best possible results and to show Red Bull that the confidence it has shown in me is justified. I want to thank Red Bull for this opportunity and for all the help they have given me in my career, dating back to 2005.”

Buemi will make his first outing as an official Toro Rosso driver at a test session to be held at Portugal’s Portimao Circuit later this month.

Toro Rosso have promised an announcement on Buemi's 2009 team mate 'at some point before the Australian Grand Prix'. Their 2008 driver Sebastien Bourdais and former Super Aguri racer Takuma Sato have both spent significant time testing with the team over the winter.
    The Official Formula 1 Website

Looks like a new era of young stars over at Toro Rosso. I personally am as excited as I've ever have been with so much young potential in 2009's line up. Between Glock, Hamilton, Vettel, and now Buemi, not to forget many other contenders, there is plenty of young talent to be had, if only the governing bodies could get it right , we might actually have a incredibly intense season.

Please share your thoughts....
    Last edited by Soloracer; 01-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.

don't know, young drivers usually become meat for the F1 huge and hungry body.
    Bourdais should have been a strong fellow for Vettel but he never found his way into F1 at all.
    Glock...don't know. I think he is more average than what I thought before, regardless of what happened in Brazil.
    and what about Kovalainen? he perhaps suffered too much the Hamilton-centered team.
    forget about Piquet.
    new drivers are always welcomed, but I would prefer more new teams.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    and what about Kovalainen? he perhaps suffered too much the Hamilton-centered team.
    forget about Piquet.
    new drivers are always welcomed, but I would prefer more new teams.
    Success in F1 usually requires a scrub and a champ. (Barrichello and Schuy) You need one guy to be competent enough to score points in the manufacturer's championship and one to win the championship. Kovalainen was the scrub. He knew it when he signed on. He knows he's not a real championship threat (at least right now) and he's clearly content being second fiddle to Hamilton. He won (inherited) once this season and he now joins the club of F1 winners, a huge achievement and hats off too him, but never a champion.

Piquet blows. And I agree about the teams thing. We could always see mored cars on the grid. Anyone got $300 million sitting around?

In defense of Piquet. He did give Hamy a good run not too long ago. But like most Drivers' that go to Renault, Their season seems to be a disaster. It's like Alonso is the only Person Who can drive that Car. Red Bull is being very unfair, waiting so long to annouce Their driver line up IMO

When you think about it, theyre being quite fair. Buemi's now confirmed which leaves it down to Bourdais or Sato. The team have confirmed that either driver will need to bring performance AND economic benefit, and Sato will give them alot of exposure in Japan as well as any other money he may bring in. It would seem theyre giving Bourdais as much time as possible to come up with some sponsorship before having no choice but to pick Sato.
    I am the Stig

You forgot, Senna, Button, Barricello. di Resta is looking to get a seat. And don't forget all the Test Drivers who have become recently under employed to say the least. I don't think Sea Bass will be back. hope I'm wrong

Neither Senna, Button or Barrichello are a serious shot at Toro Rosso. Button might be if he wasnt so commited to sticking with whoever takes over Honda. Barrichello was likely to be forced into retirement with Senna taking his place. But none of those 3 have tested with Toro Rosso recently and the team are still only focusing on Sato and Bourdais.
    I am the Stig

After Fry's announcement this week,Button may want to reasess his comitment

Thread Information