Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to file Formula BMW USA applications?

Anyone know how to file Formula BMW USA applications?

Anyone know how to file Formula BMW USA applications?

As a driver?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    As a driver?
    Yeah.
    Last year, applications were to be submitted in November, and I can't remember what to do.

This is for one of the scholarship ride? Have you contacted any teams that run in the series?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    This is for one of the scholarship ride? Have you contacted any teams that run in the series?
    I guess.
    What should I say in an email to a team?

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I guess.
    What should I say in an email to a team?
    You better have some kind of documented race experience. Otherwise, good luck.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    You better have some kind of documented race experience. Otherwise, good luck.
    The scholarship is there for people who haven't been able to get into racing

The scholarship is there for people who haven't been able to get into racing
    In that case.. good luck.

Let me rephrase. [This is an edit] If you haven't been racing since you were 12, your best bet would be an advanced engineering degree in mechanical/automotive engineering for an opportunity in motorsport. I hate to sound like the bearer of bad news but at 20 I'm way too far off the path of super-racer. SCCA would be the best bet.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 10-30-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

In that case.. good luck.

Let me rephrase. [This is an edit] If you haven't been racing since you were 12, your best bet would be an advanced engineering degree in mechanical/automotive engineering for an opportunity in motorsport. I hate to sound like the bearer of bad news but at 20 I'm way too far off the path of super-racer. SCCA would be the best bet.
    Yeah I know what you mean.
    It's unfortunate that you need lots of money to race competitively

Yeah I know what you mean.
    It's unfortunate that you need lots of money to race competitively
    Welcome to reality.

I would kill to be a paid racer, too bad I have no chance because my dad wasn't an anal 'go race karts at 7 years old noob' type of father.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Welcome to reality.

I would kill to be a paid racer, too bad I have no chance because my dad wasn't an anal 'go race karts at 7 years old noob' type of father.
    There are no race tracks around here
    My only hope is a race scholarship, lottery, or wait until I have money

Multiple of my friends actually did/do some racing. One of my class mates is a regular test driver in F3 Euro Series now.

The way to the top is mostly by practicing from young age, however not always. Try and read about Robert Doornbos. IIRC he first raced a kart at 17, but set a new lap record in his 2nd lap ! Offcourse he was noticed and he shot up like a missile through the ranks.

If you want to get into that series, I suggest you write a good letter showing your enthousiasm and motivation. Then your resumé should be clear about your skills on the automotive area, for example if you have some degree/diploma on something. But most important thing is to go networking ! You have to meet the right people. A open application is trown in the bin, that's something they do all the time in this business. They dont even open it, no kidding. I've experienced quite a few times now that I called after 1-2 weeks if they received my letter and they said; "What letter ? I haven't read it !". So find the right person, go to congresses, seminars and get in touch via the better automotive resources available. If you give your letter personally to these folks and hold a short sales pitch about you to them at the same time, it is usually arranged within a few days.

With DAF for example, i handed my letter personally to a woman that I met on a congress before. I got her card and called her. Then she told me she was on my school the next week for 1st year students, i went to her and handed her my letter and had a good chat. Two days later the chief R&D engineer called me and 5 days later I had been in the factory and received my contract

edit: try contacting the people noted on their website, this guy seems to be the guy on the right place:

Driver Coach
    Peter Argetsinger
    E-mail: [email protected]

Formula BMW Americas
    Last edited by drakkie; 10-31-2008 at 04:45 AM.

The scholarship program is for people who have done well in their Karting days, and you will be competitng against people who have been racing since they are 8 or something. The average age of F-BMW drivers are like 15. Most aren't legally to drive a car, or drink alcohol(thus in all the none-F1 venue races, spray bubbly Apple juice instead of champaige). I've worked in a FBMW team on-and-off the last 4 years(Team Autotecnica, based in Toronto), and a full season in 04 as a mechanic, if you haven't been racing since those age, you are already too late. Even as a scholarship driver(which gets 80K from the series), you are probably looking at twice that to have a meaningful season, and you still need to contact the teams to get a ride since its the teams that will be running your car, not the series. I think drivers pay 5-6K for a trial test. Of course if you have pocket deep enough you can just pay for a ride, look at Franky Muniz from Malcolm in the Middle.....he's got pocket deep enough to pay for an Atlantic ride now...after finding BMW "too slow" despite he finishes last just about every race....

And most race car drivers aren't paid until you get into the big series. I'd say even 60% of the ALMS drivers aren't paid, and I am sure some of the smaller IRL teams' driver aren't neither. For most its basically find funds, pay someone for the ride, then repeat as needed until you are any good and people offer you money to drive. And most never get there. That's why racing is still primarily a hobby for most, and only a profession for very, very few. But in US at least SCCA is big, and going club racing as an amateur is not that big of an issue. You just need some money for some type of car and you can find a category for it at your local venue.
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 10-31-2008 at 05:44 AM.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Looks like I will be moving to Portland

yeah my childhood dream was to be a race car driver! they i realized how difficult it is and how young they start at and i had no experience what so ever in that area. so now i wana design and build em. maybe this way i can drive em?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Thread Information