Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16M 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Some manufacturers are naturally inclined to innovation, like Citroën or Honda, and it's welcome.

And others aren't.
    Honda's a weird one. They put FWD on luxury cars, and although I do see that they're engineered well, that's not really how people want them to be. Only recently have they put AWD on their luxury cars, but then they become kinda heavy too. What's wrong with just going RWD? I can understand FWD for lower end cars, but for Acura, that shouldn't really cut it. With the Integra too, I can understand, because that was more of a low end sports car than a upper class TL, which it turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    And Ferrer as you well know and as it has been mentioned many times, although Ferrari is not typically known for innovation, they do have a record for using a variety of engine configurations depending on application.
    True, on racers there have been Ferraris with many engine configurations.

My point ultimately is that we were all searching perfection all cars would be the same, because in the end there's one configuration that's usually the best one for every application.

And that'd mean uniformity. And I'd hate that. Take the 911, it has the engine in the wrong place. So what? That's what meakes it unique and great in the first place. Don't care about the Cayman being faster. I don't want perfection. I want character. And soul. And uniqueness.

Unfortunately uniqueness today is rare.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    And none of that matters in the real world. The only reason Ferrari is there as a corporation is to make money, like all the other corporations in the world.

499 16M's? They'll sell like hotcakes. V8 or V12? Do buyers care? Maybe, but 499 of them certainly won't. Paddle-shift transmission instead of proper manual? There's certainly 499 people who will drool over the chance to "shift like Michael Schumacher!"

The world from a business point of view.
    Couldn't agree more. How do you sell more "exclusive" cars and still claim rarity? Cart out some overpriced special editions. Though I'll give Ferrari their dues, this isn't just some decorative decals, unique paint job and numbered dash badge. Seems properly sorted, if pointless. F1 reference with the open top? Perhaps if you drive around in a helmet a flame-retardant clothing.

As for the 16M moniker, the fact that you'd need to explain the reference to everyone tell you it's naff.

True, on racers there have been Ferraris with many engine configurations.

My point ultimately is that we were all searching perfection all cars would be the same, because in the end there's one configuration that's usually the best one for every application.

And that'd mean uniformity. And I'd hate that. Take the 911, it has the engine in the wrong place. So what? That's what meakes it unique and great in the first place. Don't care about the Cayman being faster. I don't want perfection. I want character. And soul. And uniqueness.

Unfortunately uniqueness today is rare.
    Yes, uniformity would be boring but I think there is still a lot of variance - at least in the sportscar market. Ferrari diversifying it's use of engines is in a way making it less uniform - you have the choice between the V12 in their supercar or their high end GT, or a V8 in their sportscar. Porsche would be foolish to only offer the 911 as there are some that want a cheaper car and some that probably want a mid-engined car. Something like engine configuration as I said doesn't really matter unless it matters to you as the difference in the experience will not be that great - I would wager the main difference would be the sound.

All this being said, if every company stuck to tradition instead of innovating then we'd be using systems that were not optimised for their application. The best for many people is a balance between innovation and tradition - I think that Ferrari still has a lot of tradition, so too does Porsche - but they aren't going to let this tradition entirely stifle new design ideas.

Also consider: if you love the tradition so much, buy an old one instead. You want a watercooled hardcore Porsche, go buy a used one. You want a Lamborghini before Audi bought them, same too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Also consider: if you love the tradition so much, buy an old one instead. You want a watercooled hardcore Porsche, go buy a used one. You want a Lamborghini before Audi bought them, same too.
    You mean aircooled. But don't worry I will.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You mean aircooled. But don't worry I will.
    I do mean aircooled, and I do know the difference but I just didn't much thought into it when I wrote it.

The Scud bodykit doesn't work on the coupe, but it really doesn't work on the convertible.
    It looks fat.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Honda's a weird one. They put FWD on luxury cars, and although I do see that they're engineered well, that's not really how people want them to be. Only recently have they put AWD on their luxury cars, but then they become kinda heavy too. What's wrong with just going RWD? I can understand FWD for lower end cars, but for Acura, that shouldn't really cut it. With the Integra too, I can understand, because that was more of a low end sports car than a upper class TL, which it turned into.
    Yeah, innovative should be better. Just being different doesn't mean being innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The Scud bodykit doesn't work on the coupe, but it really doesn't work on the convertible.
    It looks fat.
    I don't know that it really counts as a body kit. They put a lot of work into increasing as well as evening out downforce, and wind tunnel testing doesn't always look the best. I don't know if I like this or not; the whole point of the Scuderia was hardcore, and now they went all luxury in addition to the weight of being a convertible.

When I said bodykit I meant revisions to the body. I coulda worded it better.
    What's the point of a hardcore posemobile?

When I said bodykit I meant revisions to the body. I coulda worded it better.
    What's the point of a hardcore posemobile?
    Baller status. And that sells.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

But you can't put TVs in the headrests.

But you can't put TVs in the headrests.
    Baller status in Southern United States ≠ baller status in Italy and Europe.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Da troof. ^

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    For everyone. That's a very close-minded view to have. Ferrari have produced V8-engined cars for years. Now, if for example, they produced a car with a V10 or even, heaven forbid, a 6 cylinder engine, then we would have a real problem.
    then again the 206 and 246 were Dinos...

i like it though, just not nearly as much as the coupe...
    the scuderia was meant to be a hardcore version, but a convertible just seems to undermine that...

i like its looks but not the philosophy behind it...
    i think i like it because the standard 430/scud is so ugly
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information