Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best classic Ferrari?

My favorite would be the 1962 250 GTO.

The 250 GTO or the 250 Testa Rossa.

Quote Originally Posted by Napolis
    That's why I keep one of those around as well.

Best
    Hi Napolis. This weekend I passed my eyes through the article about you and your cars on "Automobili Classiche" (is this the exact name of the mag?).
    Great stuff! I loved the pic with the yellow beauty amongst the traffic over the bridge.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Hi Napolis. This weekend I passed my eyes through the article about you and your cars on "Automobili Classiche" (is this the exact name of the mag?).
    Great stuff! I loved the pic with the yellow beauty amongst the traffic over the bridge.
    Hi

Best!

The most exciting all-round pre 1980's?
    Probably the 250SWB, great racing and road car, almost the power of the GTO and lovely to look at.

Of course the 250LM is magic (an earlier post mentioned the LM over a GTO) but not very easy to drive, especially the gearbox.

ferrari 250 swb berlinetta

FERARI 250 SWB.jpg

FERRARI 250 2.jpg

FERRARI 250 SWB.jpg

Form and function can be combined very well in automotive design, the Ferrari 250 GT SWB underlines this like few others do. Considered by many as Ferrari's and Pininfarina's best looking car, the SWB took the first four places in its class at the 1960 LeMans 24 hours race, completely blowing competition from Aston Martin and Chevrolet away.

Introduced at the 1959 Paris Motorshow, the SWB used a body very similar to those of the 250 GT LWB Interim Berlinetta campaigned throughout the 1960 season. The largest visual difference between the two is the lack of the Interim's fixed rear quarter windows on the SWB. The new chassis was similar in design to the 250 GTs raced in the 1950s but the wheelbase was shortened by 20 mm to 2400 mm, hence Short Wheelbase (SWB). A wheelbase of 2400 mm is considered as the ideal length, to allow for good cornering characteristics (the shorter, the better) and straight-line stability (the longer, the better). It is not a coincidence that the most successful racer ever, the Bugatti Type 35, has a 2400 mm wheelbase. Another major improvement was the replacement of drum brakes by discs, all around. This was the first time the factory equipped discs appeared on a 250 GT.

Under the bonnet a revised V12 engine (Type 168) was installed. Although its displacement and bore and stroke were exactly the same as the first of the 250 GT engines, it was a completely different engine, a result of 6 years of development. The Type 168 engine was closely related to the Type 128DF engines used in the Interim Berlinettas of 1959. The sump, oil pump, timing chain casings and oil filters were updated or replaced by new parts compared to the 128DF engine. Larger Weber carburetors were also fitted, breathing was further assisted by the installation of 250 TR derived intake and exhaust ports. Competition engines were good for around 260 - 275 bhp (referred to as the 280bhp engine) and the street engines good for 220 - 240 bhp (240 bhp engine).

Ferrari's stronghold on international GT racing continued in 1960; the new SWB Berlinettas being nearly unbeatable. The Tour de France was a complete whitewash, with SWBs filling the first three places at the end of the 5500 km marathon. At Le Mans the domination was even more complete; four SWBs were on the top of the GT-class leaderboard. Overall or class victories were further scored at Monza, Spa, the Nurburgring, Monthlery and in the Tourist Trophy. Determined to continue the dominance, Ferrari refined the SWB for the 1961 season.

Cars produced after 1960 can be easily identified by the removal of the 'kink' in the top edge of the side windows. Other modifications mainly seen from late 1960 cars onward are the relocated fuel filler cap, fatter wheel arches and the ventilation vent in the roof instead of the rear window. Some competition cars used a lighter tubing for the chassis and were equipped with a very powerful engine. These cars are commonly referred to as 'Comp/61' or 'SEFAC Hot Rod'. Fitted with larger valves and rather oversized carburetors, the Comp/61 engine produces well up to 300 bhp.

Ferrari's dominance in GT-racing was complete in 1961, with GT-class victories all over the world and a clean sweep of the first four places at the Tour de France. Although extremely successful, there was a big drawback of the SWB's design; it shared its aerodynamic characteristics with a rock. After just two years of racing, the SWB was already up for replacement. After a winter's worth of testing the result was the 250 GTO. It was equipped with a more aerodynamic body and a full blown 250 TR engine.

Featured are two Comp/61s, recognizable by the bug deflector and the exhaust cover. Such a cover was made mandatory by the ACO (Le Mans organizers) to prevent fires while refueling. Pictured in the first six images is s/n 2439GT, which was raced with a lot of success by its Swedish owner. It is seen here at the Bonham's 2004 Gstaad Ferrari sale, where it was offered for sale. The next six pictures show '2701GT', originally raced by the works team until it crashed heavily in the 1961 Le Mans practice. Returned to its original glory by the factory, it is seen here over forty years later competing in the 2004 Tour Auto.

Ferrari 250 GT SWB Competizione

Ferrari 275 GTB/C

Ferrari 250 GT SWB Competizione and Ferrari 275 GTB/C. I love these cars...

ferrari 250 GT SWB california spider/berlinetta/GTO
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

250 Gto

Ferrari 365 GT/4 Daytona

the 1963 250 gt berlinetta swb
    i like it when you call me big mommy.

ferrari GTS Turbo intercooler...

Quote Originally Posted by fabio1162
    ferrari GTS Turbo intercooler...
    so it's 328 GTS, but just with a smaller engine
    12 cylinders or walk!

250 swb
    i like it when you call me big mommy.

Thread Information