Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Aside from the fact that that's b*llocks - he was the quickest man on the track for pretty much the whole race - what exactly is being able to win a race if it isn't keeping your car in tact?
    But not always does the fastest man win either, especially on a circuit like Hungaroring and starting where Button started. Now of course Alonso also got up from the back, and so did Schumacher, all mostly because of the weather conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to put Button down as he's a good, fast driver and he definitely deserved the win. Actually he's probably one of the drivers at the moment I'd most like to success. But as far as I've understood, he's not one of the best when put under pressure. Naturally, in a winning car he's championship potential but until Honda gets to the same level with the top teams, I don't see him winning many more races.

Look, I would never say Button beating Alonso was as foregone-a-conlcusion as him beating Schumi, but he stood a damn good chance. He was out-pacing Fernando throughout the GP - in all conditions.
    have we been looking at different races? I do remember that Alonso was about hafl a minute ahead of everybody else after 15 laps or so... Alonso was never on dries, and I think his first tyre change was to full wets again...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Alonso was never on dries
    He was on dries when he last left the pits with his rear wheel inproperly attached. But that was only one lap if even that so I don't know if you intentionally didn't count that in, as he never drove a fast lap with dry tires.

Edit: oops, I read through the thread too fast and, missed the earlier post where you mentioned about Alonso's tires
    Last edited by twinspark; 08-08-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark
    He was on dries when he last left the pits with his rear wheel inproperly attached. But that was only one lap if even that so I don't know if you intentionally didn't count that in, as he never drove a fast lap with dry tires.
    I already mentioned what you said in a previous post, so I thought there was no need to repeat it..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    What did he do wrong then?
    Who said he did anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Who said he did anything wrong?
    You make it sound like the only good thing he did on Sunday was finish the race.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    You make it sound like the only good thing he did on Sunday was finish the race.
    Ah. He did show up for the race, I suppose that helped too.

Olivier Panis also won a GP
    Exactly. The Button win is just another anomaly.

It takes someone with a CLUE to understand that when the whole of F1 underperforms it's going to make some wannabe appear that he did perform.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark

Edit: oops, I read through the thread too fast and, missed the earlier post where you mentioned about Alonso's tires
    His driveshaft popped, his wheel was on fine.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    His driveshaft popped, his wheel was on fine.
    no sir, a safety device keeping the wheellock fixed disfunctioned....Alonso may have that it was a driveshaft, but his team told the real story.

no sir, a safety device keeping the wheellock fixed disfunctioned....Alonso may have that it was a driveshaft, but his team told the real story.
    Ah,ok. The ITV-F1 commentators got , how do i say it, told off by Renault mechanics, becuase the commentators said it was a wheel nut, and they (Renault mechanics) said the driveshaft went on it.

EDIT: Just doublechecked. Sens it was a wheel fix was knackered.. apologies to Twinspark and yourself Pieter.
    Last edited by adamfraser; 08-08-2006 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    Ah,ok. The ITV-F1 commentators got , how do i say it, told off by Renault mechanics, becuase the commentators said it was a wheel nut, and they (Renault mechanics) said the driveshaft went on it.

EDIT: Just doublechecked. Sens it was a wheel fix was knackered.. apologies to Twinspark and yourself Pieter.
    they where actually happy that it was only the wheel fix, and nothing serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Exactly. The Button win is just another anomaly.

It takes someone with a CLUE to understand that when the whole of F1 underperforms it's going to make some wannabe appear that he did perform.
    If it had have been in the dry - yes. You would probably be right.

But, did you notice the only drivers thinking to make a clear decision to take 'The Wet Karting Line' at any point were Alonso, Button and Schumi? Just as an example. The very fact that Button did so well in such appalling conditions surely negates this fluke rubbish? You also haven't acknoweldged the fact that Button was - at pretty much any point in the race - tidier, more consistent and faster in all condtions than any other driver.

At the very least he would have finished second - and you probably would have been saying he did brilliantly to get to there from 14th - but he would have been all over Fernando towards the end of the GP regardless, and given the ballsy move on Schumacher near the beginning of the race, he may well have got round him.

I can't wait until Button wins his next GP - hopefully he will pull one out of the bag before the end of this year. We'll see what Button and the team take away from it - as we all know, winning a race is much more complex than the sum of its seemingly simple parts would suggest - hopefully the victory will encourage them towards better and more confident tactical decisions after what can only really be described as a diabolicle record in that area.

To lighten the mood of this thread somewhat - I put the original of this picture as my backdrop on Sunday. Naturally! I'm a Brit in a house full of people that don't care about motor racing - I have to get the Formula 1 flag up when I can! Anyway, my mate Dave decided to cock about with it while I was out and, this is the (VERY silly) result. I'm pretty certain it's 'TEH' rather than 'THE' deliberately - probably some 'hilarious' internet joke. Well, hopefully it will raise a smile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-08-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Guest Guest
    To lighten the mood of this thread somewhat - I put the original of this picture as my backdrop on Sunday (of course, I'm a Brit in a house full of people that don't care about motor racing - I have to get the Formula 1 flag up when I can! Anyway, my mate Dave decided to cock about with it while I was out and, this is the (VERY silly) result. I'm pretty certain it's 'TEH' rather than 'THE' deliberately - probably some 'hilarious' internet joke. Well, hopefully it will raise a smile.
    best caption is "James Allen is behind you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    best caption is "James Allen is behind you!"
    ...and he seems to be holding his cock.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Thread Information