Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Handling car

to many answers to this question...caparo T1, Caterham RS500, 911 4S, M6, 599GTB, Veyron.......etc who knows its personal pref theres no be all end all sportscar that pwns all
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

the t1 handles well under downforce but its pretty bad at low speeds. when you say handles it really depends the speed of the corners you are taking. i always laugh wen u watch classic car races and 1275 minis cruise round corners leaving 3/4l v8 to brake and take nice wide lines haha.

i think the best handling car is one that can out do other cars that appear to have a mechanical advantage over them. aka POWER and expensive components. if a car e.g an exige can out do ferraris that cost alot more round a track.

Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    well for what I believe and what ive driven a fiat X19 abarth is a handling beast or hell just the plain fiat X19 absolutely handles like its on rails IMO but thats just my 2cents
    on roads or track ?
    What suspension do you run ??

We tried to rally an X1/9 in the 80s and despite spending a fortune and LOTS of time trying setups coudl NOT get the tail end controllable
    Fine on smooth tracks, but bumpy roads or gravel and a fast corner and it was "hello mr hedge"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    on roads or track ?
    What suspension do you run ??

We tried to rally an X1/9 in the 80s and despite spending a fortune and LOTS of time trying setups coudl NOT get the tail end controllable
    Fine on smooth tracks, but bumpy roads or gravel and a fast corner and it was "hello mr hedge"
    standard rear suspension, adjustable front (camber). to be honest the x19 abarth was built & designed for circuit racing (anywhere which is paved) not for rallying and offroad use(that why its uncontrollable in the dirt). we use ours for road rally's, autocross and street circuits and it obliterates other cars with more horsies than us because we can take the tightest lines and get away with it. but ours is a 1300 which is a tad suckful at the top end so were putting a 1500 in so hopefully we should be ably to pick up the times a little

The MX5 is my bet. Fantastic machine based on Mazda's superb reputation with the MX-5. 2006 MX-5 sport handles exceptionally well to driver's inputs and displays the same characteristics of more expensive sports cars (e.g., S2000, Z3/4, etc). After checking out the Solstice, before buying the MX-5, I'm an even bigger fan of the the MX-5 now. Aside from driving and handling qualities other great features are the top, instrument cluster and 6 speed manual transmission.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 05-28-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Removed spam

if i had to name a vehicle that performs well in all conditions it would have to be either the STI's or EVO's. preety boring choice but in reality their probably the best all rounders. i wonder what an RS4 would be like on gravel or dirt
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Small, low, lightweight, H22A VTEC preferably. The Smart Roadster seems like a good candidate for such an engine.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Asking what is the best handeling car is like asking what is the most comfterble sofa in the world, there are so many sofas and so many asses (pun intended).

At best you can get the views of the members here based on their ass and what they got to drive...

so to contribute to that list, I got to drive an Golf V GTi withe 225bhp, a rollcage and upgraded bilstein suspension. Which handeled superbly on the Nurburgring ! however the 07 Mercedes C200 Kompressor we had was magnificent to drive on the german autobahns, plants itself like nothing else when you hit 200Kph
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

I can't figure a supercar cornering well, don't know why

but the Caparo T1 is a hell of a car, they usually say that is the driver who control the cornering speed of this machine

Lotus Exige?

Quote Originally Posted by DanWheldon View Post
    I can't figure a supercar cornering well, don't know why

but the Caparo T1 is a hell of a car, they usually say that is the driver who control the cornering speed of this machine
    either that, or he's on fire...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

If youre looking for the best handling road car thats more than 20 years old and affordable...you would be looking at a Mercedes 190E Sportline or 16V Cosworth. Those things were over engineerd (Mercedes proclaimed it themselves) and just wouldnt oversteer no matter what! Its a great car for everyday fast road driving and a track day every now and then. Im not a Mercedes-Benz fan, but I sure as hell am a huge 190E fan!

Wasn't the BMW M3 E36 once voted the "best handling car at any price"? A while ago of course!

I'll tell you the worst I've ever owned and that's my 348TS. I only found out after it was gone that the chassis was so poor that when the limit of adhesion was reached the chassis could flex up to one inch (2.5cms) which was why it was impossible to catch. Apparently the TB was fine but a lot of strength was lost when they put the targa roof in which is probably why the fibreglass strakes in the doors both cracked through. Again, as regards classics, it can depend greatly on the tyres. My D type is on the R5 cross-plies which it was designed for and can be drifted on opposite lock but the E type is now on radials. When it lets go on radials it is well gone but on cross-plies is chuckable.

I too remember the enjoyment of sliding a well balanced car on forgiving, predictable crossplies

[edit] if you haven't seen it, you'll like this .. check out the hammering they give those CWWs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerwmGstWEE
    Last edited by nota; 03-31-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Thread Information