Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Photography

Old 10-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Fanatic

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Future of the photo comps

So guys, we currently have noone running these comps at the time. What are we going to do now ?

If noone else is willing to do it, I can run it for a few times. However because of my unpredictable time schedule I can't guarantee everything will be on time. Therefor it'd be better if someone else would do it.

Another heavily discussed issue is the editing of pictures. IMO it would be best to allow either full editing or no editing at all. Why ? Because it is difficult to detect all changes done to them. Also it'd prevent a lot of debate and problems.

What I'd like to ask to everyone entering and/or posting in the future is to make less fuzz of everything. Don't be a whiner and give positive feedback to everybody that is helpful and educative to others. Basically, act mature.

Please share your views on the future of the comps, or volunteer to organise them.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Fanatic

True North
Quote:
Don't be a whiner and give positive feedback to everybody that is helpful and educative to others.
Fine then I won't.

I don't think there should be any editing allowed.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Eindhoven
Send a message via MSN to jorismo
Always the f**king editing story and we never come to a good solution... This is one of the reasons why I don't enter anymore. I'm just getting a bit sick of it.

And I don't care if this makes me a whiner, so be it.

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One
Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
Always the f**king editing story and we never come to a good solution...
Which is why I myself have come to the personal conclusion that it'd be best to allow it all together. We can never make 100% sure a picture has not been edited in ANY way. It's not because of my personal preference (which is to allow slight editing), but simply because it is most practical to enforce.

We might never reach a solution everybody likes, the best compromise that is best to enforce will be the best in the end, I guess.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Fanatic

NEW YORK
Send a message via AIM to baddabang Send a message via MSN to baddabang
We should elect someone to manage the photo competitions that is the most experienced photographer and they can deiced all the rules.
cause i got it on my hands
Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
We should elect someone to manage the photo competitions that is the most experienced photographer
I vote for Drakkie.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Fanatic

NEW YORK
Send a message via AIM to baddabang Send a message via MSN to baddabang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
I vote for Drakkie.
seconded.
cause i got it on my hands
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

USA, Colorado, Vallecito Lake
Now guys, sarcasm is so hard to detect on the internet you mine as well not try it.

My thoughts, I could really care less. People who are so conserned with editing are only out because they really want to win and are upset that their photos dont, IMO.

I vote for NO conversions out of camera such as photoshop, except for resize/B&W. Really what is wrong with the current rules. This bickering is pointless and because of it, we have lost alot of users including myself. Why cant people just go with it. I dont much care about the rules as long as they are followed. But if editing is allowed, I for one, wont lose any sleep.

Last edited by Sledgehammer; 10-14-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 PM

New Zealand, Feilding.
Send a message via MSN to #1 Mustang Fan Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Mustang Fan
Personally I think that editing shouldn't be allowed and if someone doesn't like it post there Pics in a editing comp, thats what they are for. (resizing - reformatting is obviously needed) People should stick to rules and not try to cheat their way to a "win".

We need to find someone committed and good at photography to host the comps and create rules that apply correctly.

Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 10-14-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 AM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
We need to find someone committed and good at photography to host the comps and create rules that apply correctly.
True. But how do we make sure this person is completely impartial ? Impossible and over the internet even more difficult. I can see debate and a lot of criticism coming then for this person. He or she'd leave swiftly again.

I'd say right now, to just screw it. Here and now the comps are more or less declared dead. At the age of 109 "my baby" has died.

Last edited by drakkie; 10-15-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Rookie

Scottsdale, AZ
I think editing should be allowed as long as it's not like pasting the car in a new scene, adding people/cars, etc. I think it would be obvious if someone were to do something like that, but I don't know, maybe that'd be too much of a judgment call.

EDIT: Or maybe run some sort of trial contest(s). Make up the rules, if it causes problems, change them.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 AM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
i'm good with the no editing rules...mainly because i never do it, due to laziness/ineptness so it's possibly unfair to some of the other members who like to cheat/take it to seriously, whatever.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Conrod
I believe many photographers here wouldn't think of EDITING = WANTING TO WIN.

The beauty of Digital Photography is that you can expand your knowledge on photography by altering the pictures to make it look nicer than what mother nature puts it in perspective. It would be pretty upsetting to know that certain pictures were posted with the photographer knowing how much more that picture would be better if editing is allowed.

A good photographer can visualize a wonderful photo in their mind - that's the ultimate form of photography know-how; merely knowing how to operate a camera by turning dials and adjusting ISOs or placing them on a tripod is not the essential thing about photography. Editing good scenes into wonderful works of art takes more practice and imagination than adjusting settings on cameras.

Limit his or her capability by the price of that camera alone because of limited functions and capabilities or the good or bad of that lense itself is rather unfair. Give two good photographers, one a point and shoot camera and the other a SLR, 100% that SLR would give better pictures from the exact same scene, but if both are allowed to edit the photos taken, it would be up to that particular person's knowledge or imagination on how to make a good photo, or art.

To add - Allowing editing, and then with photographers explaining what have they done and how they've did it would be much much more interesting and constructive than merely posting and waiting for remarks and votes. And it adds much more value to the whole thing of photography competition - To make good photographers better, to exchange knowledge and to discuss upon, and for the good of all photography enthusiasts here. Those that knows how to take, or edit, or those like me who doesn't know a thing about how to use SLRs, or Adobe, but has an eye on judging whats art, and what's fart.

Last edited by Ingolstadt; 10-15-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

USA, Colorado, Vallecito Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
To add - Allowing editing, and then with photographers explaining what have they done and how they've did it would be much much more interesting and constructive than merely posting and waiting for remarks and votes.
I like that idea. To me, this idea would be the best for the advancement of talent and skills and would likely result in better photos. However I would still like to keep advanced skill photographs and heavy editing in a seperate competition. By advance skill I mean HDR and such.

Last edited by Sledgehammer; 10-15-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Adelaide, Australia
Send a message via ICQ to john14 Send a message via AIM to john14 Send a message via MSN to john14 Send a message via Yahoo to john14
In my opinion, all editing should be allowed. Drakkie's point is correct. We can never really tell if no editing was used in a photograph. People are not 100% honest.