Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 (C197) 2010-

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 (C197) 2010-

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3

Hot on the heels of leaked images showcasing AMG’s Mercedes SLS GT3, Mercedes today has officially unveiled the model along with its list of attributes. According to the Mercedes, the SLS AMG GT3 has been designed to comply with the GT3 specifications of the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile), and it’s aimed at customers competing in sprints and long-distance races. It will be powered by AMG’s 6.3-liter V8 (not the new 5.5-liter V8 as previously thought), with total output to be determined by the FIA. Exterior enhancements include a new front apron with a splitter, a new bonnet with a central cooling vent, wider front and rear wings, side skirts with integrated cooling vents for the rear brakes, a smooth underbody and a rear diffuser with adjustable rear aerofoil (among other things).

Inside, a steel rollover cage has been added to increase driver safety while reinforcing the aluminum spaceframe. Racing bucket seats with a six-point seat belt and HANS system, a new central display and an open-top steering wheel with gearshift paddles are a few of the other interior additions, while a double-wishbone suspension system, a rack-and-pinion steering with a more direct ratio and speed-sensitive servo assistance and a a composite steel racing braking system with racing ABS all aid in the SLS GT3’s handling characteristics.

Commenting on the Mercedes SLS GT3, Volker Mornhinweg, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH had this to say: “Thanks to uncompromising lightweight construction and superior handling dynamics, the SLS AMG provides an outstanding basis for a highly competitive racing car. This exciting GT3 version is our response to strong customer demand for a car designed for these attractive motor sports series. Once again, it demonstrates AMG’s huge experience gained in more than 40 years of motor sports, and its great expertise in the development of unique high-performance cars.”

To see more of the Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3 and view its complete list of features, you can view the official press release and full photo gallery immediately below. And a special thanks to Autoblog for providing some of the photos.

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 Makes Its World Debut | eMercedesBenz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carreragt10; 03-23-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 #02
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 #03

Didn't see this one coming.

Looks nice, but IMO needs more fender flare vs the width of the rear wing...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Want.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Looks awesome but it has too much going on. The wing is huge but I guess your gonna need all that downforce for a car like that.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Endurance racing seem to have lots of interesting contenders lately. When will they put it on the telly on a regular basis?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Endurance racing seem to have lots of interesting contenders lately. When will they put it on the telly on a regular basis?
    Motors TV had full coverage of Sebring last weekend
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Don't get that unfortunately. I did, but a couple of years ago it disappeared and I've never seen it again...

However, sometimes we get GT3 races in some sports-related TV channels in the satellite TV, but I've only ever seen one race. Sometimes it's difficult to catch them if you don't when are they going to be on.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Don't get that unfortunately. I did, but a couple of years ago it disappeared and I've never seen it again...

However, sometimes we get GT3 races in some sports-related TV channels in the satellite TV, but I've only ever seen one race. Sometimes it's difficult to catch them if you don't when are they going to be on.
    first step: Check with your provider, or look for alternative providers. A station does not "disappear"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

How much lighter would it have been if it had had conventional "doors"?

The original Gullwing had them because it was required. These doors have been put it because it was desired. Form should not follow function. As much as I understand this model was made to commemorate the original Gullwing, I don't like it.

It certainly looks cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    How much lighter would it have been if it had had conventional "doors"?

The original Gullwing had them because it was required. These doors have been put it because it was desired. Form should not follow function. As much as I understand this model was made to commemorate the original Gullwing, I don't like it.

It certainly looks cool though.
    GW doors work much better with driver changes...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    GW doors work much better with driver changes...
    Unless you roll the car onto it's roof.

I wondered about how one would escape the road car in such a situation when I was admiring the car at Amelia.

GT3 is not endurance racing.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information