Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why is it that Today's Youths like rice so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen Hobo
    i can't shake a car jack in my area without hitting a riced civic.

Not saying my car's anything special with its stock 193hp (mustang) but all i've done is put stuff on it that is "mustang stuff" i.e. Ford racing wheels, the rocker panel w/ mustang lettering, and silver stripes that are identical to the 40th edition red/gold stripe mustang (mine is a 40th edition year 2004, but it's sonic blue so we cut out the perfect match stripes in silver)

But god......and there's this one with some freaky ass hologram body graphic that parks in the entrance of campus, and if the suns hitting it right, it just about damn blinds you.
    Riced honda civics should die. Thats all people do in indiana, buy a old crx and rice it, or a newer civic..and rice it. This is f'n america people. Buy some good cars.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

I drive a truck, and I love it, but hot damn I wish I had a mustang!! Even the 6 cyl. seem like they'd be fun to work with. My dream is a muscle car though, but i'm years away from affording one of those big powerful dinosaurs.

All the kids from my hometown were all into the import scene, and they'd try modifying them with all the engine mods to make them fast. I thought that was pretty cool, but the kids who just throw the exterior mods on don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Because the cars they're modifying are a dime a dozen. Nice examples of a Honda CRX can be found for $1500 and less. Civics are EVERYWHERE. Eclipses are everywhere. And the lesser models are cheap to insure. A 4 door, 4 cylinder VW Golf costs me $1600/year (19, no accidents or tickets they know about). I'd looked at insurance for a 2003 RSX Type S about a year ago. Insurance was roughly $3300/year. Insurance on something with 8 cylinders would most likely be in the $4000 range. Then there's gas.

The parts for imports, especially those of low-quality (the APCs of the world), are cheap. APC altezzas for a 93-99 Golf are $90 on eBay, compared with $175 I paid for my M3 style In.Pro's from Germany. An 'N1 style' exhaust is $27 on eBay, compared to $450+ for a GHL stainless steel cat-back 2.5" system. And the cheap muffler will probably end up robbing you of horsepower.

Kids will run out and buy a Neuspeed chip for $100 because it promises them gains. But if they had looked around, they'd see that a GIAC chip will net bigger gains for a little more money- and the chip is upgradable.

It takes a lot of money to make a nice domestic. It takes even more to make a nice import. Most kids simply don't have the money or attention span to save their pennies and buy quality over quantity. I blame a lot of it on the change of the tuner culture starting around the time 'those two movies' came out. There was a sudden and huge drop in the quality of modified cars. People wanted their cars to be like the ones in the movie, but after seeing the money that it took to get there, decided to chince out on it.

(I used my car as an example because I know what parts for it cost... Replace Golf with any cheap import FWD econobox.)

Sorry for the rant. I just really don't like where some of the scene has gone.

I concur. My Honda's getting old, yet the only thing I'm doing to it are things necessary to keep it running well. No fart can, no wing, no stickers, the only things non-stock on that car is a dc sports header that was installed before I got it, and the stereo. I'm having problems with the revving which I've talked about previously, so no way I could think of making my car a performance vehicle. It's a peppy little econobox, and won't be much more. Maybe when the engine in it finally dies, I could consider researching and eventually swapping the engine from the Gen 5 in... but that's doubtful, and only if I have an assload of money laying around.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Don't lose hope just yet. I am 19 years old and I drive 69' Chevelle SS EVERY DAY. I got it when I was 14. The car was a basket case, but after 2 years of saving up and buying parts here and there, me and my dad finally got it together enough to drive it. It had some ugly torn 2nd gen. Camaro bucket seats and was primered black. But I didn't care. Mechanically it was sound, I had rebuilt the 396, overhauled the front end, and went completely through the brake system. Last year I had it repainted the original Le Mans blue with the optional D96 white wide SS stripes on the sides. I found a bench seat out of a 72 Chevelle that I recovered along with my back. Yes I said bench seat! I also found a set of the original 14X7 SS wheels I put on after I painted the car. I also built a 427 and droped it in about the same time last year. It has a 3 speed saginaw, but I am currently looking for a 4 speed to drop in. I don't like really like imports and I hurts me when I see people my age forget what cars are all about. I feel they have a lack of respect and little pride in AMERICAN MADE products. I try to make sure what I buy is made in America if I can. I do love terrorizing the Imports with my solid lifter cam flowing some sweet sounds through my chambered exhaust. And I think it is awesome when I see an old Impala with wheel covers, bench seat, and a 4speed. Almost all my friends are involved in old cars. My best friend has rebuilt his 69 Mustang, his was in about the same condition as my Chevelle. He drives it every day also. He has a 67 Fairline 2dr that he drove to work while he was fixing up the Mustang. Another friend of mine rebuilt a 73' Dodge Challanger and pulled out the 318 2bbl and droped in a 440. Another friend drove a 327 powered 68' Camaro everyday. One of my friends races sprint cars and drives a 79' Camaro Z/28 with a 327. Another close friend of mine drove a 66 Mustang with a 302 Boss engine. Finally, last summer I rebuilt a 350 in a 89' Firebird Trans Am GTA with a hotter cam and vortec heads. Right now me and my Dad are working on a frame up restoration of his dream car when he was growing up, a 70' Corvette 454 4spd. If you want the youth to love American cars you have to bring them up around it. If they grow up on their own, they are going to be influenced by others who don't know better. My dad had me help put a new camshaft in my mom's Oldsmobile when I was in kindergarten. Sure I didn't really understand what was going on, but the beginning of my passion for American Muscle was started right then and there. So there is hope for the next generation and the future of American cars. You can find late 70's and 80's Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs that are carburated and still simple enough to work on. Most 80's models have overdrive automatics or 5 speeds so gas mileage is still good. They are just as cheap as some Hondas too. Take the time to get your kids involved. You'll never know how much it means to them later in life.

Fried rice is cheap. You can make enough to last you atleast a week so pay less and it goes further
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

A hate the ******* rice shit.

If I put an empty coffee can on my muffler will it sound as cool as the other cars?
    I like my cars like I like my women: Fast & Loose

Quote Originally Posted by 69ChevelleGuy
    Don't lose hope just yet. I am 19 years old and I drive 69' Chevelle SS EVERY DAY. I got it when I was 14. The car was a basket case, but after 2 years of saving up and buying parts here and there, me and my dad finally got it together enough to drive it. It had some ugly torn 2nd gen. Camaro bucket seats and was primered black. But I didn't care. Mechanically it was sound, I had rebuilt the 396, overhauled the front end, and went completely through the brake system. Last year I had it repainted the original Le Mans blue with the optional D96 white wide SS stripes on the sides. I found a bench seat out of a 72 Chevelle that I recovered along with my back. Yes I said bench seat! I also found a set of the original 14X7 SS wheels I put on after I painted the car. I also built a 427 and droped it in about the same time last year. It has a 3 speed saginaw, but I am currently looking for a 4 speed to drop in. I don't like really like imports and I hurts me when I see people my age forget what cars are all about. I feel they have a lack of respect and little pride in AMERICAN MADE products. I try to make sure what I buy is made in America if I can. I do love terrorizing the Imports with my solid lifter cam flowing some sweet sounds through my chambered exhaust. And I think it is awesome when I see an old Impala with wheel covers, bench seat, and a 4speed. Almost all my friends are involved in old cars. My best friend has rebuilt his 69 Mustang, his was in about the same condition as my Chevelle. He drives it every day also. He has a 67 Fairline 2dr that he drove to work while he was fixing up the Mustang. Another friend of mine rebuilt a 73' Dodge Challanger and pulled out the 318 2bbl and droped in a 440. Another friend drove a 327 powered 68' Camaro everyday. One of my friends races sprint cars and drives a 79' Camaro Z/28 with a 327. Another close friend of mine drove a 66 Mustang with a 302 Boss engine. Finally, last summer I rebuilt a 350 in a 89' Firebird Trans Am GTA with a hotter cam and vortec heads. Right now me and my Dad are working on a frame up restoration of his dream car when he was growing up, a 70' Corvette 454 4spd. If you want the youth to love American cars you have to bring them up around it. If they grow up on their own, they are going to be influenced by others who don't know better. My dad had me help put a new camshaft in my mom's Oldsmobile when I was in kindergarten. Sure I didn't really understand what was going on, but the beginning of my passion for American Muscle was started right then and there. So there is hope for the next generation and the future of American cars. You can find late 70's and 80's Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs that are carburated and still simple enough to work on. Most 80's models have overdrive automatics or 5 speeds so gas mileage is still good. They are just as cheap as some Hondas too. Take the time to get your kids involved. You'll never know how much it means to them later in life.
    Nice car/story, but.. I prefer cars that can turn well.
    EDIT: (British, German, Italian)
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by onetoolfan
    So you've done nothing to make your car any faster, just rims, stripes and Mustang written down the side....No offense, but I think thats called ricing dude.

I think the same thing could be argued on most "riced" civics, that they just put "civic stuff" on it. Ricing is putting money into things race-related but that dont actually improve performance. Maybe Im wrong.
    Well his is tasteful visual modification, that makes the car look nicer than stock IMO. Ricing is when you have a Civic with a huge hideous bodykit that has NO performance gain, an exhaust that is as loud as a Boeing 747 and about as big as one. Tasteful visual modifications are good, ugly visual modifications=rice.

"Rice" has become so overused anymore, that the second you do anything cosmetic it gets labeled as rice. Rice started as (and for me, still is) a state of mind. A given cosmetic part can be rice in one situation and not in another. IE, guy A puts an aluminum wing on his Civic DX because he likes the way it looks. He knows his car won't be faster/quicker/handle better, and may actually effect it adversely, but is willing to do it anyway. Meanwhile, guy B adds the same wing to an identical Civic DX but his mentality is that it will create downforce and hence his car will be faster/quicker/handle better.

Styling is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And all that other garbage. Frankly I'm glad that the aftermarket scene is big enough that people have the options of choosing a big aluminum wing or a M3-replica spoiler for their cars. After all, isn't that why we modify them to begin with? To express ourselves and make our cars reflect us as individuals?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

why did the youth of the 60's and 70's love muscle?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

For the same reasons that today's youth has embraced the import scene. They're cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap to mod. And they often came in outrageous colors that let the owner stand out from the crowd.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

there ya go.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

The younger generation is having trouble buying over priced homes, getting cheap health/auto insurance and looking into the future and seeing a good, stable, well-paying job that allows them to support a family. So they live with their parents andany have video game attention spans, low impulse control and a need for attention. Imports are cheap, easy to add some bling to (wheels/tires/stereo/tint/lowered) and are attention getters for all the movie going crowd.

It will only grow as all the grown up hot rodders continue bid more and more for all the old hot rods and pour thousands into them.

the rice movement isnt all bad... personally i prefer lightweight sportscars and powerful muscle cars but look at whats cme from the rice...
    1. JGTC series- these cars are easily comparable to Europe's cars, they're all light 4-cyl engines that corner incredibly
    2. drag racing- FWD runs in the sixes and more interest in america
    3. drifting
    basically is the byproduct of something that is basically a good thing and we all know that rice will eventually die, but its good that its increasing interest in cars

Thread Information