Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Help

Electronics Help

This has been bugging me for a few months now and it's gotten to the point where I need to fix it before I go insane..

This is my problem: I have a Philips LCD TV and a Pioneer DVD player/5.1 surround sound system in my room. The Philips TV has its own dedicated remote as does the Pioneer system. The Philips remote control gives me no problems and works like a charm but the Pioneer remote stops working when the tv's on. When the tv's off the Pioneer controller works with no problems but having the tv on intercepts the signal and makes the dvd player remote essentially useless. Since these two controllers came shipped with the product and can't necessarily be reprogrammed I'm lost as to how I can fix the confusion in the IR signals

Now, I have this HP All-in-one remote that came with my wireless media server but I don't think I can program it to work with the Pioneer DVD/surround system -- even if I could I would miss out on a lot of functionality (pictured)

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

get off your ass and walk over to the DVD player?
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    get off your ass and walk over to the DVD player?
    The DVD player only has 4 or 5 buttons. I can't do things like: change the picture output, change from 2ch to 5.1ch sound, can't ff/rew, change chapters or episodes on a dvd, change the input from dvd/cd to am/fm tuner to usb, etc. It's a pain in the ass without the remote
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

There may be some hidden IR channel knobs on one or the other device and its remote.. not sure whether they exist, but if they do then one of them might have it. Maybe a dedicated home theatre board might have some members with ideas?

I only got one fix. Works for most electronics though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    I only got one fix. Works for most electronics though
    I like your thinking.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Try calling either Panasonic or Phillips customer support and cross your fingers that they have good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    The DVD player only has 4 or 5 buttons. I can't do things like: change the picture output, change from 2ch to 5.1ch sound, can't ff/rew, change chapters or episodes on a dvd, change the input from dvd/cd to am/fm tuner to usb, etc. It's a pain in the ass without the remote
    Try moving the remote to the receiver so they are touching. I imagine the interference shouldn't be a problem anymore that way as the waves would only have to travel a few milimetres?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Try calling either Panasonic or Phillips customer support and cross your fingers that they have good service.
    If that is no help, you could buy a true universal remote such as one of the Harmony series from Logitech...

With these, you program the remote via your computer and online assistance...I have used them for 4-5 years without fail and it ends a lot of home theater nightmares..

Downside is that it is another cost: $80-250 depending upon model

Quote Originally Posted by wstander View Post
    If that is no help, you could buy a true universal remote such as one of the Harmony series from Logitech...

With these, you program the remote via your computer and online assistance...I have used them for 4-5 years without fail and it ends a lot of home theater nightmares..

Downside is that it is another cost: $80-250 depending upon model
    I was thinking that too, hopefully I can find one heavily discounted on woot.com or something in the near future
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

First, let's take one step back

Infrared remotes ONLY transmit when a button is pressed and the receiver (DVD/TV) do NOT transmit !

So a number of things are worth checking ...
    1. HDMI connection ? Some products have extended capability to provide control via the cable.. PRETTY SURE THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. DISABLE IT IN THE TV
    2. IS it correct, that ALL the dvd remote controls work sith the TV off -- and how do you tell ?
    3. I'd be resetting the remotes back to factory setup too, just in case.

^ I'm sure #4 will solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    First, let's take one step back

Infrared remotes ONLY transmit when a button is pressed and the receiver (DVD/TV) do NOT transmit !

So a number of things are worth checking ...

1. HDMI connection ? Some products have extended capability to provide control via the cable.. PRETTY SURE THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. DISABLE IT IN THE TV
    There is an HDMI connection from the DVD player to the TV but I'm not sure I understand you completely -- disable what exactly?

2. IS it correct, that ALL the dvd remote controls work sith the TV off -- and how do you tell ?
    The dvd remote controls work with 100% functionality when the TV is turned off. I know this for 2 reasons: I've only had the LCD for about a month or two now; when I used to have my old tv I would never get this problem. Also, the way I use my dvd remote when tv's on is to turn off the tv for a few seconds, then navigate a few buttons with the dvd remote, turn the tv back on to see where I am, then turn the tv back off and keep pressing buttons on the dvd remote until I've successfully gotten to where I need to be (takes a lot of memorization and knowledge of my DVD player's GUI). This step is annoying because I may turn my tv on and off 3-10 times in a span of 2 minutes.

3. I'd be resetting the remotes back to factory setup too, just in case.
    I think they are at factory setup, unless there's a way to determine or fix this
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    There is an HDMI connection from the DVD player to the TV but I'm not sure I understand you completely -- disable what exactly?
    Based on the expanded description of the porblem then it HAS to be down to this.

If you lok at the manual for the TV I think you might find it supports control of connected devices using. It's likely called HDMI-CEC or EasyLink, both are Philips brand names for the industry standard.
    Also, if you check your panasonic manual I think you'll find it explains that HDMI controls over-ride local ?
    In both/either of those manuals there willbe a menu option to enable/disable the EasyLink HDMI control signsl being setn ot received.
    If all else fails, try a cheap HDMI cable The cheap ones tend not to have the caboing for the serial comms channel

AHA, foudn a Panasonic Manual on line ... go to the HDMI Menu and turn the Viera Link OFF and try that.

I think they are at factory setup, unless there's a way to determine or fix this
    I was thinking on removing any "learning" functions it may have had.

PS: Give us the model numbers and I'll check for you. 99/100 these are installation cock-ups. Made worse with no totally agreed HDMO control standard. Lots of "vendor spscific" bits still
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 09-01-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Based on the expanded description of the porblem then it HAS to be down to this.

If you lok at the manual for the TV I think you might find it supports control of connected devices using. It's likely called HDMI-CEC or EasyLink, both are Philips brand names for the industry standard.
    Also, if you check your panasonic manual I think you'll find it explains that HDMI controls over-ride local ?
    In both/either of those manuals there willbe a menu option to enable/disable the EasyLink HDMI control signsl being setn ot received.
    If all else fails, try a cheap HDMI cable The cheap ones tend not to have the caboing for the serial comms channel

AHA, foudn a Panasonic Manual on line ... go to the HDMI Menu and turn the Viera Link OFF and try that.

I was thinking on removing any "learning" functions it may have had.

PS: Give us the model numbers and I'll check for you. 99/100 these are installation cock-ups. Made worse with no totally agreed HDMO control standard. Lots of "vendor spscific" bits still
    The tv is philips and the DVD player pioneer, to address the bolded bit, but I'll try what you stated and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help

edit: My HDMI cables are all cheapo 5 dollar cables from the internet so that bit may be off
    Last edited by Rockefella; 09-01-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information