Thread: Amelia Island Shooting

Amelia Island Shooting

Once again, I am consulting this forum on photography...

Next Friday and Saturday I am going to be at the Amelia Island auction, 1) because I love cars, 2) Because I think my Grandpa might be buying one of them. Anyway, its in a hotel, which I've never shot in, what are the experts tips and tricks on this.

whats he lookin at? i went to the concourse last year, but didnt go to the auction. if you get a chance to hit up the concourse, i'd highly recommend it.

as far as shooting, many of the recommendations that were given for the collection shoot still apply. the lighting will probably be better, but still not good. unless its in a tent outside, which i think it sometimes may be. if it is, then youre golden.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    Once again, I am consulting this forum on photography...

Next Friday and Saturday I am going to be at the Amelia Island auction, 1) because I love cars, 2) Because I think my Grandpa might be buying one of them. Anyway, its in a hotel, which I've never shot in, what are the experts tips and tricks on this.
    just wait and see how Ultimatecarpage will be shooting there.....RM puts many cars outside anyway, only the most prestigious ones can be put inside. And how they do it and the light conditions is always a surprise, there are no general rules, just bring the tripod.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Most of the auction cars are outdoors, some are in a huge tent...but all of them are driven to another huge tent for the actual auction.

The lighting is decent...but your shooting angle is up to how good you can position yourself in the tent.

Unless you just have to have pics of the actual auction...your best shots of the cars will be taken before they ever get in the auction tent.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    whats he lookin at? i went to the concourse last year, but didnt go to the auction. if you get a chance to hit up the concourse, i'd highly recommend it.
    A 275GTB/4. Anyway, I'll be up there before any of the cars are out on display so I presume I'll be shooting indoor more than out but, we'll see I guess. I've never been to Amelia Island before.

A 275GTB/4. Anyway, I'll be up there before any of the cars are out on display so I presume I'll be shooting indoor more than out but, we'll see I guess. I've never been to Amelia Island before.
    Amelia is nice... the concourse, and i presume the auction, is held at the ritz, which is about a 15 min drive from downtown Fernandina Beach, which has some good restaurants, and a lovely atmosphere. some great driving is to be had of you go west or southwest of the town. and jacksonville is only about 30-45 min away, and there are lots of big city things to do there. if you need some restaurant recommendation for jax, let me know, i just moved away.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    Amelia is nice... the concourse, and i presume the auction, is held at the ritz, which is about a 15 min drive from downtown Fernandina Beach, which has some good restaurants, and a lovely atmosphere. some great driving is to be had of you go west or southwest of the town. and jacksonville is only about 30-45 min away, and there are lots of big city things to do there. if you need some restaurant recommendation for jax, let me know, i just moved away.
    Actually, I would love a restaurant recommendation, probably a nicer restaurant would be suitable. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the roads on the way up from Fort Myers as I'll be in a Porsche.

Actually, I would love a restaurant recommendation, probably a nicer restaurant would be suitable. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the roads on the way up from Fort Myers as I'll be in a Porsche.
    PM sent.

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Amelia a few years ago, nice hotel, although the bed covers annoyed me. It's right on the beach, so be prepared for a small rain shower in the afternoon, we were there for a week and it rained every day around 3-4PM for about 15 minutes.

The island is nice, there was this really good coffee place there...I can't remember the name, but it's on a shady street in an old house, at least a few blocks in from the beach. Don't really remember where we ate there, but there are some cool little shops in town.

But on to the shooting, if you have an external flash i would use it either with a diffuser or bounced off of the ceiling.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I sort of figured that would be the best way.

The auction setup was different this year from any other due to construction.

It was chaos...the cars and people jammed too close together...hope their project gets finished for next year.

Thread Information