Thread: Goodwood FoS: Full report and 300-shot gallery ...

Goodwood FoS: Full report and 300-shot gallery ...

For the 19th time, Lord March hosted the annual Festival of Speed on his fabulous Goodwood estate. One of the premier automotive events in the world, it traditionally attracts some of the finest road and racing cars ranging from the earliest leviathans to the latest F1 racers and supercars. At this year's edition the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the E-Type and the centenary of the Indy 500 took centre stage. With over 40 important machines, including many winners, the Indy 500 inspired 'Gasoline Alley' was particularly impressive. In addition to the activities on the hill set fixtures like the Cartier Style et Luxe Concours d'Elegance and the Bonhams auction also returned. The latter had very impressive results with 84% sold for a total of just over 7 million Pounds. The top-seller was the Aston Martin DB2/4 Bertone Cabriolet that we featured a few weeks ago.
    Our photographers ventured out to the lovely West Sussex area of England to capture the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed in its entirety. All of the highlights and much more can be found in our detailed report, illustrated by a mouth-watering 300-shot gallery. In the coming weeks, you can expect specific features on many of the fabulous machines that starred at Goodwood.

Enjoy the links:

2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed - Report and Slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Some really great photos there. Amazing that the Spyker Silverstris managed to win an award in the Style et Luxe, which vaguely resembles the Top Gear Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust

I couldn't make it this year as I was helping out at the HSCC Superprix, but lets hope next year there's not so much going on during Goodwood weekend!

Great shots, were you there for the full 4 days. I made a thread for my picture, there no where near as good but it's nice to see other people shot. One problem i had was when i got a good shot other people got in the way, also i had to rush around see all of GoodWood in 1 day.

One more question, were did you see the Zonda C12 S because i didn't see it.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

The Zonda was in the Bonhams auction tent, and we saw it on Thursday. The auction was on Friday, so if you went there on Saturday, by that time the car had probably gone.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Fantastic coverage lads! The event looks to be a lot of fun and your photography is simply spectacular.

The shot of the Gazoo LFA is particularly beautiful; it's the best photograph I have seen of that car.

Excellent as always, hope one day to be there for the sounds and smells! Loved seeing Mefistofele, the FF as well as all the '60s-'70s F1 cars, the shot of the 2J blowing dustclouds, and curious if you got any audio of the Novi? Also... was that Surtees aboard the blower BMW?

I missed the shot of the LFA... need to go wade through again...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Excellent as always, hope one day to be there for the sounds and smells! Loved seeing Mefistofele, the FF as well as all the '60s-'70s F1 cars, the shot of the 2J blowing dustclouds, and curious if you got any audio of the Novi? Also... was that Surtees aboard the blower BMW?

I missed the shot of the LFA... need to go wade through again...
    We don't have audio cameras, and yes it was Surtees on the blower BMW. He was also in the Tripoli Mercedes W165

The dustclouds were already produced in the assembly area....(and without running the snowmo engine) From te looks of it, Vic had shown some overenthusiasm in a previous run...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 07-06-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What is the blower BMW?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What is the blower BMW?
    this one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    Some really great photos there. Amazing that the Spyker Silverstris managed to win an award in the Style et Luxe, which vaguely resembles the Top Gear Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust
    "Style et Luxe" was won by Touring-bodied 1951 Ferrari 340 America. Spyker prototype was honored in "Comeback Kids" class.

Here's a press release excerpt:

On a calmer note, David Cottingham’s sublime Touring-bodied 1951 Ferrari 340 America claimed overall honours in the Cartier ‘Style et Luxe’ concours d’elegance. Among the other winners, William Ainscough claimed the Boat-Tail Beauties category with his 1931 Bentley 4.5-Litre Supercharged Roadster, while Kees Smit’s 1937 Tatra T87 was a worthy recipient of the Extreme Lines prize for ‘Pre-War Streamlined Specials’. The People Power class went to the 1961 Renault 3 from the factory’s collection, with the Comeback Kids gong going to Maarten de Buijn’s 1999 Spyker Silvestris V8 prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecnelis View Post
    "Style et Luxe" was won by Touring-bodied 1951 Ferrari 340 America. Spyker prototype was honored in "Comeback Kids" class.

Here's a press release excerpt:

On a calmer note, David Cottingham’s sublime Touring-bodied 1951 Ferrari 340 America claimed overall honours in the Cartier ‘Style et Luxe’ concours d’elegance. Among the other winners, William Ainscough claimed the Boat-Tail Beauties category with his 1931 Bentley 4.5-Litre Supercharged Roadster, while Kees Smit’s 1937 Tatra T87 was a worthy recipient of the Extreme Lines prize for ‘Pre-War Streamlined Specials’. The People Power class went to the 1961 Renault 3 from the factory’s collection, with the Comeback Kids gong going to Maarten de Buijn’s 1999 Spyker Silvestris V8 prototype.
    correct spelling: "de Bruijn's" so with an R.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    We don't have audio cameras, and yes it was Surtees on the blower BMW. He was also in the Tripoli Mercedes W165

The dustclouds were already produced in the assembly area....(and without running the snowmo engine) From te looks of it, Vic had shown some overenthusiasm in a previous run...
    Too bad... a little video would be fun, hopefully someone posts something to YouTube. The Novi supposedly makes quite a shriek when revved. Saw the earlier photo of Surtees in the W165, but it's a pleasure to see him on a bike even if not one he raced. And looks like
    Quick Vic decided a haybale was in the wrong spot! A shame they never fired up the sucker motor... that running with the Chevy
    blare is a rare pairing of sounds.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

NOVI

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Too bad... a little video would be fun, hopefully someone posts something to YouTube. The Novi supposedly makes quite a shriek when revved...
    You're familiar with these?:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTBuW4gReE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTBuW4gReE[/ame]
    AND
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryW5Q9QBhPg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryW5Q9QBhPg[/ame]

I've personally seen, touched and HEARD these Speedway Cars. My uncle had a casual relationship with "Herk"- Jim Hurtabise.
    CHEERIO!...and keep smiling...
    Last edited by novi; 07-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Thread Information