Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Friday: the new California and the legendary Breadvan

Ferrari Friday: the new California and the legendary Breadvan

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

Here at Ultimatecarpage.com it is not 'Casual Friday' today, but 'Ferrari Friday' as we take a renewed look at two remarkable prancing horses. First up is one of the biggest surprises of the recent Paris Motor Show; Ferrari California. It is not that we did not know it was going to be there, but rather we were surprised by just how good it looked in person. Earlier this year, when we highlighted the 250 GT Pinin Farina Cabriolet, we already suggested that Ferrari needed a new luxury drop-top. At first we were a little skeptical if the new California would fit that bill and at Paris we found out it did, despite its steel folding roof. The only point of criticism is the name 'California,' which was originally used for the Spartan and competition derived roadsters. The new California is neither, but a fantastic addition to the Italian manufacturer's range nonetheless.
    The history of the Ferrari 250 GT SWB 'Breadvan' is a little less straightforward, but ever so interesting. Based on a 1961 competition 250 GT SWB chassis, it was transformed by Ferrari's former employee Giotto Bizzarrini to what he believed could beat Ferrari's own GTO. The result was a very, very quick racing car. It has however gone into history for its unusual appearance, which the French believed resembled a 'camionnette,' or 'Breadvan.' Needless to say the name stuck, making it one of the best known Ferraris of the era. Recently the car was brought back to full running order as can be seen in our spectacular gallery showing the Breadvan in action at Goodwood last month.

Enjoy the links:

1961 - 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB 'Breadvan' - Images, Specifications and Information

2008 Ferrari California - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That rear is spectacular.

but why does the grill in the front look like it should have a Maserati badge on it?

its probably just me..

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    That rear is spectacular.

but why does the grill in the front look like it should have a Maserati badge on it?

its probably just me..
    it was designed by Bizzarini before he left ferrari to start his own company, so it has a Biz style grill.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I don't know... the california looks kind of cute... For a Ferrari... Which is not very helpful in the appeal of supercars...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Hooray for Ferrari Friday!

The new California looks much better in person than it does in photographs. I'll take one on Grigio Palladio thank you very much.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I think its great looking personally. I really like it. This might be my new favorite Ferrari.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Ferrari SL500 to me at least. It's a decent looking car, that's for sure. It just seems more like Maserati styling. I'll just give it some more time to grow on me...

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Ferrari SL500 to me at least. It's a decent looking car, that's for sure. It just seems more like Maserati styling. I'll just give it some more time to grow on me...
    No it doesn't look like a Maserati.

It looks like a fat cruiser.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like the new California. Not as sporty as your average Ferrari, and pretty heavy as well... But beautiful and with a lot of attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No it doesn't look like a Maserati.

It looks like a fat cruiser.
    I think you'll like it once you see it in person. It's a GT car for sure, not as visceral as a 430, but it's still a Ferrari.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I think you'll like it once you see it in person. It's a GT car for sure, not as visceral as a 430, but it's still a Ferrari.
    I don't think he'll like it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't think he'll like it ever.
    Well let's be positive for a moment.

At least it's available with three pedals.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

is the ferrari media website also not working for you who have access to it?
    12 cylinders or walk!

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    I think its a disappointment, it looks and I cringe saying this, cute. Who the hell wants their new ferrari to be called cute? *shudder*
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

it's not bad, it's certainly not pretty, but it's not overly bad like the 612

Thread Information