Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe...Surprisingly Good?

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe...Surprisingly Good?

The test drivers of CNET.com rated the Genesis coupe 4 out of 5 stars for its "excellent handling and a powerful, efficient engine" and " a very affordable price" (base MSRP: a "low" $29,500). Honestly, do you guys think that the Genesis coupe can stand up with sports cars such as the Evo X or maybe an Impreza?
    And what about Hyundai's "rep"? Do you think the Genesis is enough for us car enthusiasts give Hyundai a little respect after their debut with both the Genesis Coupe and sedan?

At first, I thought this car would be just another Tiburon, for better or for worse.

Here's the link for the Genesis Review:
    2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Coupe/Hatchback reviews - CNET Reviews
    Last edited by PRC777; 05-28-2009 at 10:37 AM.

I never even thought about the EVO X or Impreza being its competition. I see it as a lighter, better handling, more fuel efficient and less expensive alternative to a mustang coupe
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

I have my personal prejudice against Korean cars, but if the Sedan was good, I don't see why the Coupe wouldn't be....besides, other than the 2nd gen Tiburon, the coupes have been good looking cars to start with....

As an aside though, CNET is not what I'd consider as automotive authority....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Anyone have any insight as to why they did go with the same name for two different cars?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    Anyone have any insight as to why they did go with the same name for two different cars?
    They aren't the only, Mercedes-Benz E Sedan VS E Coupe, just as a recent example.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I think the Genesis embodies Hyundai's idea of a revolution. Making that name into their premiere sedan and coupe will probably lead to new models in the future, if you get what I'm trying to say here. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched models like the Accent and Sonata in the future for something new.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'll admit that the Genesis is a good car, and a great step forward for Hyundai, but there's something about it that would make me go Mustang. I don't know if it's the average/ugly styling or its Koreaness that make me think that, but I do.
    About that last point; I can intellectually accept that there are good Korean cars (and Aveos ain't 'em, Fiz), but I have yet to get over the immediate gut-feeling Oh-god-it's-a-Hyundai part.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
    do you guys think that the Genesis coupe can stand up with sports cars such as the Evo X or maybe an Impreza?
    Since they aren't sportscars, not very well probably. Very different kind of car.

I want it to come to Europe.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

had it been out a year ago, there might have been one in my driveway.

if fits in a very neglected gap. the $30k, rwd, non-american, 2 door, 4 seater sportscar. pretty much the rx-8, 135i, bare bones G37.... and im out. exactly what i was looking for, and exactly what i got, but i had to go used to get what i wanted for a good price.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

nowadays I'd be looking a 370Z....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I took a look at one around here and was really impressed. The 3.8 maybe a mustang competitor yeah, but look at the 2.0 turbo- 22,000 and you get a rwd, manual car with a solid engine and imo, wonderful interior. seats are incredibly good too. and that engine has easy potential to be tuned as far as you want to take it...

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    nowadays I'd be looking a 370Z....
    But if you need 4 seats the Z won't do.
    Visca Catalunya!

Also BMW 3-Series and Infiniti G37...

On paper it seems like a good car and as cmcpokey said, it's filling a desirable gap occupied by few, but I'm definitely one that's always had a stigma about Korean cars, as I always buy German. But as already mentioned, this could be a turning point for them, and I'd certainly give one a test drive to see what's up. I see a silver one drive by my house every few days, and it's not bad looking. I don't like the typical Asian car angry face though. It would be nice to see car designers realize that aggression is not the only way to convey a competitive spirit...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    Also BMW 3-Series and Infiniti G37...

On paper it seems like a good car and as cmcpokey said, it's filling a desirable gap occupied by few, but I'm definitely one that's always had a stigma about Korean cars, as I always buy German. But as already mentioned, this could be a turning point for them, and I'd certainly give one a test drive to see what's up. I see a silver one drive by my house every few days, and it's not bad looking. I don't like the typical Asian car angry face though. It would be nice to see car designers realize that aggression is not the only way to convey a competitive spirit...
    i agree with everything you said, just let me play counterpoint.

i also would have preferred a euro car, but the options arent really there. i didnt want a bmw for reasons not to be outlined here. MB is a bit too pompous and not really a sportscar (and i couldnt afford a C63), and audi? no, just no. so that sent me to the land of the rising sun, and found the G35 to be an outstanding, if not a bit rough around the edges, car. so while the europeans do a decent job, the japanese really have this field locked up. and since having driven a 135i, i still prefer my G.

as far as the styling is concerned, toyota (non-lexus) doesnt go for the really angry look, and all of their cars look a bit blah. or awful if you prefer. the japanese brands dont have the design language that goes back decades, so they are still trying to piece it together. i think infiniti is the only one that has a very consolidated theme among all of its models, and they arent very aggressive. so i think as the brands mature they will start to subdue and become more consolidated. but i think it is also what the japanese consumers are after, and so thats why they look that way.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i didnt want a bmw for reasons not to be outlined here.
    I'm sorry but, why?
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information