Thread: Lamborghini Diablo (I) SV Roadster 1998-1999

Lamborghini Diablo (I) SV Roadster 1998-1999

LamboCars.com

The first 'new' model to emerge from Sant'Agata since the Audi take-over was an SV version of the Diablo Roadster, it would have been commercialized to make open-top driving a Lamborghini a little more available to the public.

The SV Roadster was set to be sold at a lower price than the Diablo VT Roadster, just like the Diablo SV was the 'less expensive' Diablo in the range.
    Probably the SV Roadster would be positioned between the SV Coupé and the Diablo VT type, since for some strange reason the rear-wheel drive Diablo had been canceled for the 1999 production year.

The SV Roadster was just like the SV Coupe, a stripped down version of the normal VT Roadster, the suspension geometry was simplified, but the full system would still be available as an option. Also the rear wing wasn't standard, but remained a rather expensive option, available either color coded to the car or in a clear Carbon Fiber finish.
    Another option was the custom made Lamborghini suitcase-set, finished in the finest leather available, matched to the color of the interior of the car the set was ordered with.

Naturally the Diablo SV Roadster prototype seen here used alcantara for the seats, but on special order you could have leather upholstered seats or even specify race type bucket seats with four-point seatbelts.

As usual for Automobili Lamborghini SpA, any color you like could be used on the bodywork, but the factory still tried to keep everything rather normal by suggesting an already very vast palette of colors available, like the flashy orange bodywork of the prototype on the picture.

Shortly after this car was presented on the Geneva Auto Show, the Audi management of Automobili Lamborghini SpA decided not to actively commercialize the Diablo SV Roadster, although several demands were already made by the US importer. The SV Roadster was never put into real production but strangely enough some do exist, the factory actually built a couple of prototypes, some even with the 1999 redesigned headlights, but they never actually put it into production. The US-distributor at that time requsted a Diablo SV Roadster for their market but after Audi took over, all the rear wheel drive only projects (SV) were canceled.

However, the US-distributor did custom built some SV Roadsters themselves in the United States by doing exactly what the factory would do; remove the front drive shaft, front differential and the front half shafts, this would lighten a Diablo VT Roadster by 250 pounds and according to people who actually drove these modified VT Roadster, they were real fun to drive.

A Lamborghini Diablo SV Roadster still remains a very rare car, only a handful were ever built, some sources state only 6 SV Roadster were made by the factory, with only two RHD models, one of which was severely damaged during a crash.
    Note that most of these SV Roadsters were 1999 models, only the orange metallic prototype and a yellow car were 1998 models, the other cars were all based on 1999 specification models.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

i thought the SV was a sort of "hardcore" version of the Diablo, not an economic one...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

um.... leon.... the SV is RWD, while the Roadster is AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by alex1485 View Post
    um.... leon.... the SV is RWD, while the Roadster is AWD.
    ...and so? i know, the were the diablo rwd then discontinued, the vt awd, the vt roadster awd and then the sv rwd. there were also the gt and gtr btw.

i was referring to this sentence

The SV Roadster was set to be sold at a lower price than the Diablo VT Roadster, just like the Diablo SV was the 'less expensive' Diablo in the range.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    ...and so? i know, the were the diablo rwd then discontinued, the vt awd, the vt roadster awd and then the sv rwd. there were also the gt and gtr btw.

i was referring to this sentence
    I guess that, as happened with the Carrera name in the 80's at Porsche, the SV tag was also devalued by Lamborghini in the 90's.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

oh that? probably cause AWD cost more

Quote Originally Posted by alex1485 View Post
    oh that? probably cause AWD cost more
    i do know that it costs more, but the tone of the sentence seems to say it is "simply" the cheaper one. that's all.

The Diablo SVs were cheaper, because they were intended to be "entry" models.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

See something looking as mean as this beats anything Lamborghini currently builds in my books. It so low and wide, these diablos were incredible.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Correct Facts

Just thought I would let you know there 14 SV Roadsters built. The Orange 1998 was one of a few in fact, I had a Blue LHD drive one so I know they built more than 3. There was also the 1998 British motorshow one which was a green tri colour.

Thread Information