Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would the 1500 hp+ supercar engines required to dethrone the Veyron be?

How would the 1500 hp+ supercar engines required to dethrone the Veyron be?

20 Liter displacement?
    16+ cylinders?
    Extreme pressure supercharging/turbocharging?
    15,000+ rpm?
    Maybe some other developing or still unknown technology?

As insane as 1500+ hp sounds somebody will make it.
    As amazing as it is, the Veyron will not reign forever. That's for sure.
    When, whom, how and for how much are the questions.

Feel free to guess at it.

I believe it would be better to cut down the weight on new supercars then going for extreme output figures. Although I have no doubt it will handle and perform like a dream, the Veyron is a pig at +2.000 kg.

Reasons why I am more interested in projects like Lamborghini's Sesto Elemento with a dry weight of just 1.000 kg, the handling an acceleration should approve accordingly also with less demanding power. More of a Lotus-esque philosophy.

But of course today, moar is better

It even would be a more demanding challenge to create a pretty car, if at all possible in this league which is ruled by aerodynamics.

These days of increasing speed cameras, speed bumps, fuel prices and unpopularity of speed the Veyron might just be the end of an era.

The next generation of supercars will battle in acceleration and Nuburgring lap times.

In Gran Turismo 6.

Probably.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Some lunatic is going to still try and go for shear horsepower. With emissions and efficiency regulations only getting tighter, I think the trend will be for more boost. The Veyron makes its full power at 19 pounds of boost if I remember correctly. I think we'll be seeing more engines of similar size running more and more pressure. I think with modern turbo management, architecture design, and direct injection, modern street cars could handle close to 25 pounds of boost on pump fuel. Obviously, low compression would be required, something like 9 to 1. The Veyron has 8 to 1, but no direct injection. Adding direct injection to the Veyron could probably add 100 horsepower more if they bump up the compression to match.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    I believe it would be better to cut down the weight on new supercars then going for extreme output figures. Although I have no doubt it will handle and perform like a dream, the Veyron is a pig at +2.000 kg.
    In the future, shy of the 1,000,000 bhpz monsters that will inevitably be created as engines get better, I think for acceleration lighter weight, as MoS says, will be the way to go. Also, if top speed is the desire, I think frontal areas will have to go down. The current crop of hypercars are so wide that they probably have a similar frontal areas to some sedans.

After all, the GT40 went 200mph with only 350-400hp because of its small frontal size, bikes get to 60 in -1.5 seconds with only 100hp, and Formula One Air Racers go almost 300mph with only 100hp, in addition to pulling 6 Gs.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Nemesis"]Sharp Nemesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    I know these are all apples to hypercars' oranges, but they show that power need not be the only way to speed.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Maybe the latest Vector project will eventuate, including the proposed billion litre V8 and quadrillion horsepowers.

People have shown that you can get a Veyron-esque 1000hp by twin-turbocharging a Gallardo. Maybe you're sacrificing reliability or driveability, but it can definitely be done without the Veyron's level of engineering (or weight).
    Someone like Venom could do it, they appear to have the passion and the resources to turn out fast hypercars. And the Tuatara should be reasonably quick
    All about the t-tops

SSC and Hennessey are pretty darn close to beating the Veyron already and just think about top fuel dragsters. They put out 3,000 hp and go 0-300 in 3 secs. I'd say it's possible to refine that technology into a street legal car at some point

Top Fuel simply does not equate to anything production. I think the EPA would go ape shit if someone ran nitro in a street car. Those same cars consume 20 gallons of fuel over staging and a pass, so about 80 gallons per mile.
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Some lunatic is going to still try and go for shear horsepower. With emissions and efficiency regulations only getting tighter, I think the trend will be for more boost. The Veyron makes its full power at 19 pounds of boost if I remember correctly. I think we'll be seeing more engines of similar size running more and more pressure. I think with modern turbo management, architecture design, and direct injection, modern street cars could handle close to 25 pounds of boost on pump fuel. Obviously, low compression would be required, something like 9 to 1. The Veyron has 8 to 1, but no direct injection. Adding direct injection to the Veyron could probably add 100 horsepower more if they bump up the compression to match.
    So true.
    But how will this "lunatic" (a hero to me) make it?

And they said the same with the McLaren F1. All the factors you mentioned just got worse since the 90s yet it was surpassed.

I'd say lighter weight and a more comprehensive mechanically effecient all wheel drivetrain will be what detrhones the Veyron.

Seriously, I think once we get past the HP numbers the Veyron currently produces, it becomes stupidly impractical, even for a hypercar.

I think owning a 2000 HP factor street car sounds stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRGT3 View Post

I think owning a 2000 HP factor street car sounds stupid.
    Cut that number in half and 20 years ago it would have been stupid. Its all public perspective. Humans and males especially are fans of the "bigger is better" mentality.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

The answer's already here, it's a hybrid. Next Veyron (ie, super fast and super luxo) looks at the 918/P1/TheFerrari and adds more battery/electric motor to overcome more weight. No chance of just more petrol power being used.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

A Bugatti insider had said last month that the next Bugatti will be a hybrid.

That car has to top the Veyron. Higher boost, electric-assisted turbos, a clever-er AWD system, better aero, obviously. Its gonna be nuts, thats for sure.
    Jimi Hendrix

Interesting assumptions here.

The answer to @Big time lies in a car officially unveiled at Geneva. The new Koenigsegg One:1 has an engine displacement of 5 litres packed with two turbochargers, probably last of the remnants, because I believe everyone who produces hypercars will go to hybrid solutions. However, new One:1 can run on biofuel, too, something that Koenigsegg first adopted with CCXR model.

1500 bhp mark is very close and inevitable.

(yes, this is my first post here, I would like to know where can I introduce myself, thank you in advance!)

Welcome DogZy!

The One:1 is nice exercise in numerical symmetry if nothing else, though despite measuring their power-to-weight ratio in hp/kg, they decided to give it a megawatt of power. I like that Koenigsegg is persevering with purely-gasoline powered cars, even if their cars aren't necessarily to my taste.

As I said above, I am still waiting for the 200-300hp 200mph car. If someone put a real engine (Hayabusa or similar) in a VW XL1 and turboed it, I think those stats could be realized.
    Given it's drag-adjusted frontal area, an XL1 would need to produce 300lb (1.3 kN) of thrust at 200mph to maintain steady state. That seems feasible. Even with driveline losses and whatnot, I think that should be achievable.

EDIT: For comparison, the Veyron needs 800lb (3.6 kN) of thrust to go 200 mph.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 03-05-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information