Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Website discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,309
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Why? It's got a long bonnet, short overhangs and a tiny cabin. It should look good, sportcars like.
it is a pathetic effort to produce a small four seater family car, with a longitudinally placed engine and stubbornly sticking to RWD as being the non-plus-ultra. And they knew how they could have come up with something smarter looking, as they once produced the 2002.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,166
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
it is a pathetic effort to produce a small four seater family car, with a longitudinally placed engine and stubbornly sticking to RWD as being the non-plus-ultra. And they knew how they could have come up with something smarter looking, as they once produced the 2002.
I can agree with all of that. Still, there's nothing inherently wrong with its proportions as far as aesthetics are concerned. It is the detailing that lets it down.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,309
Rozenburg, Holland
perhaps we should define aesthetics. I my eyes the car is butt ugly. Even the Z3-Coupe wins it by mile in the looks department.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Revo's Avatar
Revo Revo is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,699
Tallinn, Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
it is a pathetic effort to produce a small four seater family car, with a longitudinally placed engine and stubbornly sticking to RWD as being the non-plus-ultra.
BMW manages to sell approx 200,000 1-series annually. I wouldn't call that a pathetic effort.

Apparently I am the only one here who finds 1er appealing, both in detailing and in proportions.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,309
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
BMW manages to sell approx 200,000 1-series annually. I wouldn't call that a pathetic effort.

Apparently I am the only one here who finds 1er appealing, both in detailing and in proportions.
it is a pathetic effort because it can hardly take four persons...
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,166
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
perhaps we should define aesthetics. I my eyes the car is butt ugly. Even the Z3-Coupe wins it by mile in the looks department.
As I said I don't disagree, the 1er is not a good looking car. But the proportions are ok, it's the detailing that makes it look bad. As you mention it, the Z3 Coupe is a car with same proportions but good detailing, and as a result a good looking car in my opinion.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,166
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
it is a pathetic effort because it can hardly take four persons...
There are many cars that can't take four people and aren't pathetic. It is not practical, I agree, and I will agree on the looks as well, but everything else is brilliant and it's hard to deny it.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,309
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
There are many cars that can't take four people and aren't pathetic.
Yes, mostly cars that don't pretend to be able to carry four people...
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Revo's Avatar
Revo Revo is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,699
Tallinn, Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
it is a pathetic effort because it can hardly take four persons...
And by hardly, you mean....?

It CAN take four people, that is the fact.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Yes, mostly cars that don't pretend to be able to carry four people...
Strange, usually it's the americans taking this stance and the europeans defending the car. I've sat in the back seat of a 128i and if my fat ass can fit comfortably I'm thinking anyone not big enough to play american footbal professionally should be fine. Do we get different versions or something?
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,166
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
I think you only get the Coupe, but I believe both the Coupe and hatchback have the same interior space, altough the Coupe's boot is probably bigger.

By the way, last week I was able to fit four people (including me) inside easily as well. Only the access to the back seats wasn't very comfortable, but that's because it's the three door model.

In any case, I agree it's not the most practical or spacious car in the world due to its layout.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I think you only get the Coupe, but I believe both the Coupe and hatchback have the same interior space, altough the Coupe's boot is probably bigger.

By the way, last week I was able to fit four people (including me) inside easily as well. Only the access to the back seats wasn't very comfortable, but that's because it's the three door model.

In any case, I agree it's not the most practical or spacious car in the world due to its layout.
I think a dedicated platform and some good engineering could have improved this. As it is it's not much lighter than the 3 nor is it much cheaper, but I see the potential of another 2002 type vehicle. Still, I wouldn't call it unlivable.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,166
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Well I understand using shared parts with the 3er, since after all BMW car manufacturers are bussiness, but the 1 Series isn't that much smaller which could explain partly as well why it's not that much lighter than its bigger brother.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Well I understand using shared parts with the 3er, since after all BMW car manufacturers are bussiness, but the 1 Series isn't that much smaller which could explain partly as well why it's not that much lighter than its bigger brother.
Right. I guess my problem isn't so much the shared parts (as long as it's done well I never object to that) so much as the feeling that if it shared fewer parts then maybe there would have been a bigger difference in size and weight, not to mention cost. I guess I was looking for a new mini but a bit more BMWish than just shared suspension.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Revo's Avatar
Revo Revo is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,699
Tallinn, Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
Right. I guess my problem isn't so much the shared parts (as long as it's done well I never object to that) so much as the feeling that if it shared fewer parts then maybe there would have been a bigger difference in size and weight, not to mention cost. I guess I was looking for a new mini but a bit more BMWish than just shared suspension.
BMW will build small, front wheel drive model positioned and priced right under the current 1-Series.

Now, you can expect a massive protest coming on from so-called enthusiasts who believe all BMWs should be RWD only.

On the other hand, a general consensus here seems to be that BMW could use a more efficent layout. I find that quite suprising.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1020 05-19-2014 03:16 PM
Forza 2 Demo!!!! werty Gaming 39 05-20-2007 12:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com