Thread: Mercedes-Benz R63 AMG (W251) 2006-2007

Mercedes-Benz R63 AMG (W251) 2006-2007

Mercedes-Benz R63 AMG

Mercedes-Benz R 63 AMG Makes World Debut in Chicago

The Mercedes-Benz R63 AMG is making its world debut at the Chicago Auto Show, which is open to the public February 10-19, 2006 at Chicago’s McCormick Place. Powered by the first-ever engine developed entirely by AMG, the high-performance division of Mercedes-Benz, the R63 AMG adds high performance to the six-passenger, all-wheel-drive capability of the highly acclaimed R-Class luxury vehicle.

Representing a new way for six adults to travel, the R-Class combines the distinct advantages of several disparate vehicles – the sure-footedness of a four-wheel-drive sport utility vehicle, the performance and comfort of a fine sports sedan and the versatility of a luxury wagon. Innovative design and useful technology now make possible an automotive decathlete – a vehicle that can excel at an unprecedented range of owner needs.

An AMG Vision for the R-Class Decathlete

The R63 AMG combines high performance with style and every-day usability. The athletic design of this new high-performance model is apparent even from the outside – bolder front and rear aprons, an AMG front grille, flared fenders, and AMG side skirts. In addition, the new R63 AMG comes with tinted taillights and two sets of chromed twin exhaust pipes.

Inside, the R63 AMG is fitted with AMG sport seats (covered in Nappa leather with Alcantara inserts in the shoulder bolsters), a leather AMG sport steering wheel and a special instrument cluster with AMG graphics. AMG door sills and stainless-steel pedals with rubber studs complete the picture.

The First Powerplant Developed Entirely by AMG

However, the heart of the new R63 AMG concept vehicle is the first engine developed entirely by AMG, a 6.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 that produces 503 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque for zero to 60 mph test track times in about five seconds. One of the most powerful production V8s ever, the new engine boasts a wealth of exciting features derived from AMG’s highly successful racing efforts.

Built almost completely from a high-strength silicon-aluminum alloy, the new 6.3-liter features four valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, bucket tappets (rather than rocker arms) and a variable intake manifold. The engine shares no parts with other Mercedes-Benz V8 engines, and even the 109-mm spacing between cylinders is unique to the new 6.3-liter powerplant.

AMG racing genes are obvious in the design of the closed-deck aluminum engine block, which includes cast-in steel reinforcements and an especially rigid “bedplate” design instead of individual main bearing caps. A first for a production engine, the cylinder bores feature a twin-wire-arc-sprayed (TWAS) coating, a new process that results in impressively low friction and running surfaces that are twice as hard as conventional cast-iron cylinders.

A High-Performance Seven-Speed Transmission

The R63 AMG comes with a seven-speed automatic transmission that’s controlled by a Direct Select electronic lever on the steering column and by Formula-1-style buttons on the AMG sport steering wheel. Three different shift modes – “S” for sport, “C” for comfort and “M” for manual – can be selected via a switch on the center console.

A Chassis Worthy of a Sports Car

Like all current R-Class luxury vehicles, the new concept R63 AMG boasts a strong unibody platform and an effective full-time four-wheel-drive system beneath its sleek exterior. Its four-wheel traction control system incorporates functions such as a downhill driving aid and Hill-Start Assist, while a double-wishbone front suspension and four-link rear suspension deliver impressive on-road driving performance and comfort.

An option on other R-Class models, height-adjustable AIRMATIC air suspension with special AMG shocks is standard on the R63 AMG, along with a specially configured version of the ADS adaptive damping system. High-performance vented and perforated disc brakes on all four wheels work together with highly polished 19-inch AMG alloy wheels fitted with 295/45 R19 tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

It said in Auto Week that MB isn't going to build it ever.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Quote Originally Posted by M3GTR33
    It said in Auto Week that MB isn't going to build it ever.
    Apparently they were wrong.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

I don't really think you'd need that much power in a R-Class.
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

One of the most ugly Mercedes ever built. Doesn't deserve the badge...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Apparently they were wrong.
    Well, the also might just be showing it off, Ferrari isn't building the GG50 but is revealed it anyway, thats why its a concept.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Well, the also might just be showing it off, Ferrari isn't building the GG50 but is revealed it anyway, thats why its a concept.
    Does it say "concept" anywhere in the press release?

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    Does it say "concept" anywhere in the press release?
    Does it say "production". Vision is the nickname for a mercedes concept. Anyway, I'll find oput for sure tonight, I am going on the Press day (today), I'll give you all the full report.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    No, I'm pretty sure this is a production model. They did the Vision R63 concept some time ago: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=17570
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Ok, so I went on the Media day, and I spoke to a Mercedes executive and he DID say that MB WILL be building a R63 AMG. I can't wait to see it.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Thank you for clearing that up...

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    Thank you for clearing that up...
    Ahh no problem.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Thread Information