Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hyabusa V8... directional conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The Honda block is larger and heavier than the basis for these guys.
    im sure of it...i was just saying it would be sweet if they put two of those screamer s2000 motors in an nsx or even an s4000
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Generally i dont think its a given that 2x240hp/9000rpm engines put together would be a 480hp/9000rpm motor, the extra moving parts would surely limit the RPM and HP but surely with some tuning it could still be 450hp+ and 8000rpm+.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    im sure of it...i was just saying it would be sweet if they put two of those screamer s2000 motors in an nsx or even an s4000
    Car blocks are jsut wrong for this kind of solution.
    Just watch Honda .... new engine coming for the new VFR and it will be their 1000cc V5 configuration ..... so expect a two block V10 solution oh yummy and a rumoured big block Blackbird solution coming later !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Generally i dont think its a given that 2x240hp/9000rpm engines put together would be a 480hp/9000rpm motor, the extra moving parts would surely limit the RPM and HP but surely with some tuning it could still be 450hp+ and 8000rpm+.
    The limiting factor on revs is piston speed and mass.
    So it will be as capable of matching on those.
    With a V8 it's also possible to balance out the vibrations better and rev MORE.
    But as they all still run balancing shafts I suspect that the twin piston on one crank removes that ability. Not sure.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i've always wondered why honda never tried slapping two s-2000 4 cylinders together and making a 480hp v8 that screams at around 9000 rpms, i think that would be sweet...super sweet.
    Put some money into a small block chevy and you can get 9000rpm. And it'd probably make more power.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Unlikely, j, if you let the bike based engine also deploy the exotic metals it would take to get a small block higher. MOST efficient engines on the planet are bike engines .... but don't expect them to last as long as a small block would

Unlikely, j, if you let the bike based engine also deploy the exotic metals it would take to get a small block higher. MOST efficient engines on the planet are bike engines .... but don't expect them to last as long as a small block would
    Our stock car engine turns up near there, with a 2bbl. It doesn't take exotic metals, just good parts. It probably has less than 15k put into it.

We usually test our big block drag racing engines up to about 8500rpm. If they survive that, they will most likely keep together for a while when shifting at much lower than that.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 10-25-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Brings up another subtle difference, j ... when a Honda says it can rev to 9,000 it can pretty much sit there all day at that
    Often on runs, I've got my Bandit pegged at 11-12K most of the time !!

My 6R loves a rev. Was having some carb issues the other day (possibly blocked idle jets) so gave it an Italian tune-up out on the highway at midnight
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Put some money into a small block chevy and you can get 9000rpm. And it'd probably make more power.
    preaching to the choir there buddy. i was just wondering why honda never did it. i have owned 6 vehicles and only 2 of them did not have a small block (and one of those two was a diesel)
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Brings up another subtle difference, j ... when a Honda says it can rev to 9,000 it can pretty much sit there all day at that
    Often on runs, I've got my Bandit pegged at 11-12K most of the time !!
    The stock car usually hovers around 8500, letting off for the turn then right back on the gas.

What have you had rooster? Small blocks ftw.

Interesting note on that. In SCCA there have been a few classes which are using motorcycle vs auto engines. The bike engines of course are producing more power for their displacement and weight. However, the car engines, when limited to around factory power are much more reliable. This comparison seems to hold true even when dealing with "stock" bike engines. The car engines seem to be way over built from the factory and can happily withstand a little less cooling on some part or a higher than factory temperature or pressure there. The bike engines are reasonably reliable if the installation is done right but if even the slightest thing is done wrong such as not quite enough oil cooling capacity or not enough air flow around the engine block the whole thing is likely to go bad. Clearly the bike designers were able to design closer to the margin. They also of course aren't designing the motors for race car usage so this shouldn't be considered a flaw at all. Of course in addition to the installation issues, I also suspect that the racing operating cycle is a good bit harder than the operating cycle most of these bikes would ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    What have you had rooster? Small blocks ftw.
    98 k1500 vortec 5700 (pickup), 97 k1500 5700 (suburban), 92 z28 tpi 305, 2002 z28 LS1 (BOOOYYA!!)

98 k1500 vortec 5700 (pickup), 97 k1500 5700 (suburban), 92 z28 tpi 305, 2002 z28 LS1 (BOOOYYA!!)
    Nice!

Thread Information