Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is the worst day of my life

You did what you had to do, you did your best and it worked, everything else is out of your hands, i guess in time you'll realise you did evrything you could do.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Yeah, seriously. You shouldn't punish yourself for what you did there. You did all that you could and you tried your best. Also keep in mind that you did the right thing there. You could have walked away and pretend nothing happened.

But you didn't. Your work there was commendable.

Man, you brought her pulse back after there was none, after that there was nothing more you could possibly do.

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    Most of you probably don't care, but since a lot of nice people come here, I think is the best place to tell al this.

So what's the problem, well I feel horrible... This morning I went to school, quite early, just to deliver my teacher a project. So I did all this and walked out the school door around 9.30. And then it happened. Right in front of my eyes this girl from about my age didn't look properly and wanted to cross the street. Unfortunately she didn't see the bus that was comming from her left. I think the bus hit her with around 50 km/h. I can still see her face as I shouted her to watch out... She fell very hard, luckily the bus didn't ran over her. So since I've got my First Aid licence I immediately went to her. I didn't feel any pulse so I started CPR... I did CPR for around 10 minutes (it felt like 10 days), being helped by some other guy.

So when the paramedics arrived and took over, they said we had saved her, since she got a pulse. So I stayed at the place to tell everything to the police, and I thought I did good when the ambulance left for the hospital. As I was still talking to the police, they heard on the radio that the girl again lost her pulse. And that this time there was nothing they could do.

It felt like a died myself. I just burst out in tears... I don't know what to say. In about 15 minutes time I felt from great, to absolutely horrible...
    Mate you did everything you could to give that girl one last chance at living, Without you she just would have gone but you gave her a chance you done great, I can't say don't feel bad i know that's wrong to say as your only human you feel it hard just think you did your best and that is all anyone can every ask, To many people walk away today and look the other way we need more people like yourself to step up like that in this world, If i ever had something go wrong i would hope someone like you was near me to give me a chance to fight. Talk with your love ones it helps i learnt that the hard way it's hard to hold it in and this is good to speak around us it helps you get it out be able to live with it.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    First of all mate, you're a HERO.
    Yeah, let's make that clear first. Being a hero isn't based upon results, because sometimes things are just out of your hands, like today. It's based upon the effort which you gave in trying to rectify the situation. Know that you did everything in your power to help this girl, and a hell of a lot more than most people would have done in the same situation. You have no reason to be upset with yourself or your actions.

My prayers are with the girl's family.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Jorismo, one of the marks of a true hero -- or just a good person, if you prefer -- is that they do the right thing without a second's hesitation or any conscious decision. It's very tragic about the girl, but you did the right thing and did it well. You gave her a chance and that's all you can do. I wish the world had many more people like you rather than the ignorant or those who don't get involved by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    Good on you for doing your best to help her. Most people wouldn't know what to do in that situation. You did all you could. Don't feel bad about it.
    Simplest and best way to put it- you reacted in a fashion that quite a lot of people lack these days. There's only so much punishment that the human body can take, and being hit by ten tonnes of metal at about 10x the speed of the average human walking was not one of the things the human genome prepared us for. It's not your fault, and you did all you could.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    You did everything in your power to bring that girl back to life. anyone in your shoes would have done the same.

these things happen for a reason - don't beat yourself up about it. I would recommend talking to a trained councilor about it though. i can imagine it being quite a horrible scene - but you had the clear head and training to turn a bad situation into the best that it could be.

I'm proud of you - I think the rest of UCP is as well.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. We're all proud of you, the world would be a better place with more people like you in it. You did all you could, what more can you ask of yourself? You're a hero, don't you forget it.

My condolences to the girls familly and friends...R.I.P.

The girl left knowing at her very last minute, someone who she hadn't knew tried all his best to save her. Not much people die with such blessings. You gave that to her Jorismo. Feel blessed, feel for the caring she felt when she left. The girl's family will feel very blessed knowing a young and brave man cared for their daughter as she went.

She gave you a chance to show you're filled with love. You should bring this good memory with you and live your every tomorrow better than the day before.

God bless you Jorismo. Condolences to the girl's family.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Dude, my condolences to the family of the girl, but you should be proud of what you did. There are very few selfless people out there in the world anymore, and I can proudly say I know one through UCP. Theres nothing more you could have done.
    Porsche!

Well done Joris! I would have totally freaked out in such situation and totally forgotten what I was meant to do, you did exceptionally well to keep your cool and do what you knew you had too. I'm sure that if that girl could have, she would have thanked you a million times over. You did all you could and that is more than most people would have.

I had a slightly similar experience last week, just not quite so...Dramatic.
    I organised a party to celebrate the End of an Era (school) and the end of our GCSE Exams near a friends house, one friend whom I shan't name mixed her drinks a bit and had too much and she passed out, vomited everywhere, wet herself and then started jerking around and babbling so we called her parents and an ambulance. She was taken to hospital and kept under close observation, luckily she just needed to wait for it all to drain out and now she's fine but has been put off alcohol.

Anyway, I think you need a pat on the back Joris for doing what you did
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

You did the best you could, no one could ask for more. Consider yourself a hero for going out of your way to save her, even if it wasn't meant to be.

Speaking of bad days... I saw my life flash in front of me real quick yesterday outside on my patio. As I was grilling some burgers, I noticed that flames were coming out from under the grill as if there was a gas leak somewhere. I quickly told the three kids (2 of them were my youngest sister's friends) to get to the back of the yard ASAP. Just after I came back outside with a pitcher of water to douse the flames, the barbecue literally exploded into a 20 foot fireball from hell.. 5 feet from my body.

Luckily, no one was injured and people quickly came to help after seeing what was going on through their windows, but the thought of what could have came scares me. I'm just happy I told the 10 year olds playing in the back yard to run away when I noticed what was going on because that call to their parents if any injury or death was involved would devastate me for the rest of my life.

To bring this full circle.. sometimes you get lucky, sometimes fate strikes you at heart. Don't, for any reason get down on yourself for not saving this poor girl, but strengthen yourself on the courage and perseverance you exhibited in the situation. Pat yourself on the back and remember that our world needs people of your stature.

Quick thinking Rocke, glad you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    Quick thinking Rocke, glad you're ok.
    Yep, everything's good except for a newfound phobia of barbecue grills.

Everybody, thank you for your reaction. Just to be honest, I had some tears reading all this... It was a very emotional day, and I feel much better after reading this. But still I wouldn't consider myself as a hero. IMO I just did what I had to do, and nothing more. I wish I was able to something more.

This afternoon I went to the fire department (where I learned to know various people because of my school assignment) and had a good talk with some fire fighters. They helped me big time by just listening (just like you guys over here) and making me show my emotions. Tomorrow I also will meet a professional for these kind of situations. I hope I will feel better after that...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Thread Information