Thread: Juan Pablo Montoya

Juan Pablo Montoya

Can anyone give me the history or reason why Pablo Montoya left FI to join NASCAR? I understand his relationship with his team mate and fellow driver, was not that great. Is this true?

iirc he failed to have any kind of good relationships at all.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

he was like alonso, except with less talent. he burned bridges, his team moved on, and decided not to take him along, and no one else wanted him either.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Aside from all the team disliking him, he said he wanted a "real" challenge by driving stock cars just like the other road racers/open wheelers before him (Hornish, Carpentier, Said)

Its a "different" challenge(and challenging for sure), but its also the only other series that can pay big money for its driver....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Wow, I had no idea he had these problems in F1. Where have I been all this while???
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 07-27-2009 at 01:41 PM.

I actually missed him in the beginning. He was one of those drivers who made F1 events interesting. And he was one of those few who thought something like 'Michael? What Michael?'. Remember their battles, they are still one of the best ones.
    Last edited by faksta; 07-27-2009 at 02:23 PM.

he's also in that rare company that has won indy and monaco, and he's been looking for the trifecta with daytona.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

He happened to drive good cars, but I'm not sure if he was as good as Alonso.
    he definitely had an instinctive and aggressive driving, managing to embarrass other more titles drivers, as Schumacher, which were becoming more safe in their driving during the years. Schumacher at the beginning was completely reckless, while during his dominance with Ferrari he generally played it safe.
    Montoya had nothing to lose, and drove accordingly. Props for this, but the same goes for Alonso both this and last year, Schumacher on some rare occasions (I'd say lately only his last race?!) or even Hamilton, even if the Briton has a different approach I think.
    Montoya was good, just not enough to justify his ego.

He burned all his bridges in F1 and had to move onto another racing series. I liked the guy, I thought he was good for F1. I hope one day he'll move back to an open-wheel series.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    He happened to drive good cars, but I'm not sure if he was as good as Alonso.
    he definitely had an instinctive and aggressive driving, managing to embarrass other more titles drivers, as Schumacher, which were becoming more safe in their driving during the years. Schumacher at the beginning was completely reckless, while during his dominance with Ferrari he generally played it safe.
    Montoya had nothing to lose, and drove accordingly. Props for this, but the same goes for Alonso both this and last year, Schumacher on some rare occasions (I'd say lately only his last race?!) or even Hamilton, even if the Briton has a different approach I think.
    Montoya was good, just not enough to justify his ego.
    That makes a lot of sense. Before Montoya left the US for F1, it almost felt as though there was no more challenge here for him. We had tons of hope for him being the next successor to Michael Schumacher.

My thinking is that his temperamental ways maybe his achilles hill, and maybe costing him a lot in the discipline department.

Now, when I compare him to Mr Hamilton, temparament is like night and day. Hamilton seems to me to not only drive, but he seems to study the art of driving. I think Hamilton will rise to be one of the greatest, with time, if nothing distracts him on his journey.

There is a surgical precision that Hamilton seems to almost want to achieve in each race, which i think is great in many cases but can be the monkey on his back in other cases. The ability of Hamilton in deciphering when that precision is required and when it is not, will be his challenge in the world of driving.

As for Montoya, if he can keep his attitude and temperament in check, I have no doubt he would probably be the only one who can give Hamilton a run for his money. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 07-27-2009 at 07:48 PM.

I liked Montoya, he was/is not a robot.

It is sad that such is the state of F1.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I think Hamilton should thanks this season, he is learning to lose, and it's something that did well for others like Schumacher and Alonso, both better "persons" after some years without winning something hands down.
    I don't know if Hamilton is going to be as great as others, he just seems to be fast period t me, I don't see all that perfection and study, just "I want to win", which is a good attitude nonetheless, but he also seems to be capable to drive slowly to save the car and get 1 points, something Montoya wouldn't have done even in a million years, neither did Schumacher.

Honestly, Montoya wasn't good, just reckless, something good to enjoy a show, but not going to bring you titles. I guess he wouldn't have won even without Schumacher, or maybe just one year.

he was following the steps of the french guy in the talladega nights the ballad of ricky bobby lol
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

Nobody knows the back story. Only he can answer correctly.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 08-13-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thread Information