Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The world's ugliest tower to be built in Paris, France

The world's ugliest tower to be built in Paris, France

http://marvelousarchitectures.blogsp...fel-tower.html

Developers unveiled a curving skyscraper design on Monday, rivalling the Eiffel Tower in height and echoing London's famous "Gherkin", as the centrepiece of a redevelopment of Paris's La Defense business district.

The design, by U.S. architect Thom Mayne, was selected last week ahead of proposals from nine other star architects including Norman Foster and Rem Koolhaas of the Netherlands and is expected to be completed in 2012.
    It is intended to be one of the most significant construction projects in Paris since former President Francois Mitterrand's ambitious "Grands Travaux" developments of the 1980s including the Louvre's glass pyramid or the National Library.
    "It's about an icon, and one of the major buildings in Paris," Mayne told reporters.

The 300 metre tall structure will be one of the highest buildings in Paris, rivalling the Eiffel Tower, which is 324 m tall, including its antennas. But Mayne said he wanted to retain a human dimension to the design.
    "There's a fluidity, a sensuousness, a softness to the form as it reaches to the sky," he said, describing the asymmetric twist of the building, which swells out over an elevated lobby in the lower portion before tapering off to a thicket of wind turbines on the roof.

La Defense, a somewhat bleak 160 hectare development of banks, company headquarters and office buildings just outside the city of Paris proper is to undergo major shake up that will involve around a fifth of the buildings being redeveloped.
    With strict height restrictions on buildings in Paris itself, skyscrapers are largely restricted to areas like La Defense but Mayne's "Phare" ("lighthouse") development will stand out clearly over the city skyline.

The building, which will cost the developers Unibail an estimated 800 million euros (542,000 pounds) to build, will house some 130,000 square metres of office space.

But Mayne said it would also be "a prototype for a green building" with a wind farm generating its own heating and cooling for five months of the year and a movable "double skin" to cut the heat from direct sunlight through the windows.
    Unibail Chief Executive Guillaume Poitrinal said the project showed private sector developers were just as capable as the public sector of creating landmark buildings, even if it is dwarfed in height by mega developments in Asia.

"It's a real symbol of modernity but it's not a record tower, we're not trying to go to 800 metres. The idea is to have something which is modern and iconic rather than just high."

Sooooo ugly, if you want my opinion.
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 02-19-2007 at 04:58 AM.

I think it looks awesome. Fits la défanse perfectly.

good news everybody! -looks like futurama
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    good news everybody! -looks like futurama
    Looks like shit you mean! Am I the only one to find that thing extremely ugly?

I really like towers/skyscrapers but this tower is inappropriate for a city like Paris, France. This tower would look good in Asian cities such as Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo but IMO it will not suit a European city like Paris.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

not everything on futurama looks good!
    autozine.org

I agree with John here... It looks cool, but not for Paris. La Defense is great, but they should keep it the way it looks now and not put some messed up building in it...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

For France's first one-thousand footer, it's quite a shame. This is organic modernism at its worst. (for some better organic modernism, look into Santiago Calatrava). This tower has gotten a lot of flack at skyscraperpage.com as looking like a pregnant Nick Nolte.

Some better renderings so you can see that 'hair' bullshit at the top.

http://grandparis.free.fr/heights.jpg
    Rendering of La Defense with other proposed/approved towers:
    http://grandparis.free.fr/upcoming-ladefense.jpg
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 02-19-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: images too wide
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

The Generali Tower will look way better the the Phare Tower as you can see.

BTW, what that's city in the foreground? A shanty town?

Well...if you get yourself a billion dollars maybe you can get to decide what the next humongous tower will look like.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

I like it...

It's so much better than the most of the buildings in Philly or Baltimore or almost any other US city, which are usually very bland.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I think its all right, its a bit overdone, like they were trying too hard to make it innovative.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Meh, everyone thought the eiffel tower was the worst thing in the world when it was built too. Same for their modern art museum.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

something different. awesome.

its hideous!
    the designers are pathetic tasteless morons who've planned a absolute waste of capital, labour, resources and space.
    The people who think this will make paris look better are bumbling idiots.
    It's going to ruin paris's reputation as a beautiful city.
    The city's horizon will be horridly disfigured its as if some giant awkwardly shaped tumor has sprouted out of the ground.

Thread Information