Thread: Hydrogen cars

Hydrogen cars

We have now managed to develop a hydrogen system that we can fit into a vehicle, here in South Africa. Hydrogen cars in Africa is not common and we have a lot of questions.
    Anybody on the forum that can help us with info and tech questions, will be appreciated. We need calculated information to keep us on the right track

Compressed gas Hydrogen or liquid hydrogen tank. The latter seems more difficult and expensive because you need a bleeder valve to prevent excessive pressure and lots of insulation to keep the fuel cool (the tank itself will probably be more compact though).

Beyond the cars I have heard a pretty novel concept for producing the hydrogen where each filling station has a solar generator which does the electrolysis at the station eliminating the need for a hugely expensive distribution infrastructure.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    FBI, is that you?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Who is we? All of South Africa made a hydrogen car? That's intense. But still really cool, the hardest part about hydrogen is actually harvesting it. It's the most abundant substance on Earth but finding a cheap and easy way to get it is one of the major stepping stones in hydrogen going mainstream.

A hydrogen fuel tank will empty itself in 2 weeks, even if the car is not started. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
    A hydrogen fuel tank will empty itself in 2 weeks, even if the car is not started. Not cool.
    If liquid possibly. If compressed as a gas you could make tanks strong enough to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    We have now managed to develop a hydrogen system that we can fit into a vehicle, here in South Africa. Hydrogen cars in Africa is not common and we have a lot of questions.
    Anybody on the forum that can help us with info and tech questions, will be appreciated. We need calculated information to keep us on the right track
    How does this hydrogen system work? Its a fuel right?? Will it replace petrols that we use in our current vehicles?

Hydrogen is an excellent substitute however it would be more practical to use a combined fuel system such as bio-diesel and hydrogen.

Thread Information