Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Indycar design proposals

New Indycar design proposals

I hope there's not another thread about this floating around somewhere. Couldn't find one, but I think it's getting interesting enough to warrant a dedicated thread about it.

IndyCar is apparently looking for a new chassis. The contenders I could find so far are (using direct links):

Swift Engineering (Jalopnik)

And then there's this:
    Delta Wing concept (Motorauthority)

Taken from Dallara's site:
    Chassis constructor Dallara has released images illustrating its interpretation of the 2012 IndyCar Series car, based on the criteria set forth by the Indy Racing League.

Discussions with league officials have resulted in a much lighter, more efficient car with less drag and more downforce. The design requires less horsepower to achieve the desired level of performance than its predecessor with greater fuel efficiency.

Safety has been improved with increased resistance to frontal lift and improved yaw stability. Improved raceability also has been addressed in the design with less sensitive aerodynamics in traffic for better overtaking and the reduced incidence of wheel-to-wheel contact.

The cost of the complete package to compete on a variety of racetracks (superspeedway, speedway, short oval, road course and temporary circuits) will be reduced to 55% of the current car cost. Teams will carry much smaller quantities of spares because it requires less parts specific to individual types of tracks, which is another cost saving measure.

The car will be manufactured and assembled in the United States, potentially in the new technology center Dallara is planning to open as part of the Speedway, Ind., redevelopment program, in an effort increase local industry in the area to support the program.
    - Only one image so far.

Lola (Now with images)

Call me crazy, but I find the Delta Wing concept kind of intriguing. If it ends up being the adopted chassis, I think it sure will cause a much needed shake-up in Indycar-land, if not the entire open-wheeler world.

If anything, I haven't found Indycar this exciting since 1993..
    Last edited by Kooper; 02-16-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    I know absolutely nothing about Indycar, but that Delta Wing looks like a dragster. How does that even turn properly?
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwmakemh View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about Indycar, but that Delta Wing looks like a dragster. How does that even turn properly?
    You forgot, American cars can't turn.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

on the delta wing, where do i attach my missile pods?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Let's reintroduce the Messerschmidt TG500.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Motor Authority

the Delta Wing.. "actually looks like the future."
    the future looks like 1962
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy Shit Batman!

Could you imagine a whole field of those?

The Swift car looks alot more realistic.
    I am the Stig

I still don't see how it can turn....they say most of the downforce is at the rear and most weight is at the rear, which means with already narrow front track you are reducing the load on the front even more....I don't see how this car can turn....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I still don't see how it can turn....they say most of the downforce is at the rear and most weight is at the rear, which means with already narrow front track you are reducing the load on the front even more....I don't see how this car can turn....
    through lateral wind I suppose...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Needs an active sail then....lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Needs an active sail then....lol
    Dorifto!!!!

I find that the Swift design is a more likely concept to the delta wing, I also fail to see how the delta will turn, even the article says that:

"The absence of front wings is made up for by a high-downforce underbody that uses the venturi effect to help hold it to the ground.

It's worth noting that such ground effects only work well at higher speeds, potentially making lower-speed corners on road courses tricky."

I Would love to watch a field of 33 swifts take the track at the Indianapolis 500, it is also noteworthy to see they are moving from the Honda 8 to a smaller turbo engine. I really hope there is more diversity in the available engines. The one engine choice there is now is not as exciting as in the past when there was Honda Toyota and Chevrolet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    The Swift car looks alot more realistic.
    Agreed. The Delta Wing concept just doesn't look like it could possibly work. I'm not gonna talk like I know (or care) a thing about Indycar but if they adopt that body style, they'll doing it just as a gimic (similar to Danica Patrick before Nascar bought her). With such a narrow front wheel base, how is it not going to flip over in a high-g turn? It also doesn't have ANY surfaces for generating downforce! Not only does the Swift car look futuristic and unique from F1, it also looks like it might be able to go around a corner.

Not to mention, the Delta wing concept looks way too much like the Ambiguously Gay Duo's car:

Last edited by demonrunning07; 02-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.

The 2012 Indycars look like those "Blackbird" jets without the front spoiler.

The odd part is though the person who did the Delta Wing is not a no-body. Ben Bowlby did the pre-Panoz Lola Champcar that killed off Reynard altogether. So I suppose this is not a joke entirely....

I guess there will be more of this by August if they do build a prototype....It does not inspire confidence though that their "simulation" video looks like footage from rFactor...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information