Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is a Safe Place

Another vote here against fake/styled tailpipes.

As for Mercs, I haven't got direct experience with the E-Class but I have driven the old C-Class. This was a very good car; comfortable and a good handler, you could even call it moderately fun.

However the newer junior Mercs are the exact opposite of that; stupidly uncomfortable, handle badly and the steering is odd. So beware of the Benz you choose...

Regarding daily drivers, the key is balance. You need comfortable suspension which smooths bumps out and doesn't break your back, but that controls body movement well too. I like to call this a car that flows, a car which feels natural. If we've got that we are on the money.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ideally you have a multi-car garage, and a multi-residence life. A C-, E-, or S- class (if you can deal with the size), would make a great DD/bad weather driver. Then maybe a classic car, a modern sports car, and something else.

Concerning the real estate side of the dream, for a young Torontonian, that'd include a hip downtown penthouse, a nice suburban house with multi-car garage, and a cottage.

Sorry, I was asleep just now. I have re-awoken.

The CLA and B are pretty pooey. I'd like to try the GLA; it looks fairly attractive but I don't have high hopes given how much it shares with the CLA. As I recall you don't have much good to say about (your cousin's aunt's?) A-Class. What model C or C classes did you drive and were they pre- or post-facelift?

Back to old-fashioned tailpipes.

There is a modern car worth buying just for the exhaust pipes - Abarth 595 Competizione.

Isn't that a thing of beauty? A worthy homage to Carlo Abarth.

Attached Images Attached Images

The Monza Special exhaust is quite special indeed - does anyone have direct experience with it? The standard Abarth exhaust is quite hopeless at sounding good; maybe the Monza Special spices things up a bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The CLA and B are pretty pooey. I'd like to try the GLA; it looks fairly attractive but I don't have high hopes given how much it shares with the CLA. As I recall you don't have much good to say about (your cousin's aunt's?) A-Class. What model C or C classes did you drive and were they pre- or post-facelift?
    I have driven all junior Mercs except for the GLA and they've all been equally hopeless, especially when it comes to handling. It's like the body wants to set off in a direction and the wheels in an other one and the suspension can't get them to agree.

Also, in anything but the softest suspension option the ride is just preposterous. How the hell could they get it so wrong?

I drove back in the day a late W204 with the 2.2 litre diesel engine and the seven speed automatic gearbox. I would've bought it, if I was in the market for such a car. In many ways it reminded me of the original 1 Series, only softer, more comfortable and more noble - and that's the best car I've ever driven.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Regarding daily drivers, the key is balance. You need comfortable suspension which smooths bumps out and doesn't break your back, but that controls body movement well too. I like to call this a car that flows, a car which feels natural. If we've got that we are on the money.
    Ideally you have a multi-car garage, and a multi-residence life. A C-, E-, or S- class (if you can deal with the size), would make a great DD/bad weather driver. Then maybe a classic car, a modern sports car, and something else.
    I agree wholeheartedly -- and that's the reason why we just got a 2005 Audi wagon today. Cheap, comfortable, and with enough interior space to do an IKEA run or two.

For the longest time I was opposed to the understeering wonders of Stuttgart, but I came to the conclusion that we have enough fun cars to go easy on the daily driver. Plus, having driven that oversized, 4500lbs American tank of an SUV for the better part of 3 years, anything is going to seem nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Back to old-fashioned tailpipes.

There is a modern car worth buying just for the exhaust pipes - Abarth 595 Competizione.

Isn't that a thing of beauty? A worthy homage to Carlo Abarth.
    Yes! Thank you! There is hope yet for modern car design.
    Turning money into memories.

That exhaust is a thing of beauty. To YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly -- and that's the reason why we just got a 2005 Audi wagon today. Cheap, comfortable, and with enough interior space to do an IKEA run or two.
    Congrats! An Allroad?

In the end, how much of adult life revolves around IKEA?

Congrats! An Allroad?

In the end, how much of adult life revolves around IKEA?
    A4 1.8T quattro -- the beast of boost.

Evidently a lot. We've been on several trips, and we still have 6-8 rooms to furnish.

I wasn't sure they sold the wagons in North America. Quiggs would be so proud...

I think y'all know my general stance on VW Group and VW in specific, but I can more easily get behind a utilitarian older Audi wagon. My neighbour has a diesel Golf wagon and that is just so sensible.

It shall serve you well.

Obligatory: lower it.

You can take the European out of the wagon, but you can't take the wagon out of the European.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it will do this winter. While the snow doesn't stay for long, we do get some good ice storms, and the locals, well, they freak out.

This is what happened last year during the 6 hour gridlock:

Comfortableness is good.

But why an Audi? Surely, a Subaru understeers just as badly and is far less ghastly.
    Visca Catalunya!

Asian cars don't do anything for me. I'm too German, without actually being it.

I cringe every time I see the button-gasm that is a Lexus interior. I got bored quick with a GTR. It's a very irrational, personal thing, I understand that, but I just don't do well with any of them. I couldn't see myself buying any past or current Asian offering. They may do everything very well, but I just don't want to pay for them.

I think your choice is legit, but it must be said fourth gen Legacy wagons are cool. Have you driven one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Asian cars don't do anything for me. I'm too German, without actually being it.

I cringe every time I see the button-gasm that is a Lexus interior. I got bored quick with a GTR. It's a very irrational, personal thing, I understand that, but I just don't do well with any of them. I couldn't see myself buying any past or current Asian offering. They may do everything very well, but I just don't want to pay for them.
    I understand that.

In my experience with Japanese cars I'd say that for some reason they seem stuck in the 90's. The electroluminescent displays, five speed gearboxes and normally aspirated engines are a bit last century, you know.

They are good pieces of machinery, but it is hard to not get carried away by something else.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think your choice is legit, but it must be said fourth gen Legacy wagons are cool. Have you driven one?
    I think we looked at a 2011 Legacy, does that count for something? Again, not disappointed, but not impressed. I don't think I'd want to look at one on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I understand that.

In my experience with Japanese cars I'd say that for some reason they seem stuck in the 90's. The electroluminescent displays, five speed gearboxes and normally aspirated engines are a bit last century, you know.

They are good pieces of machinery, but it is hard to not get carried away by something else.
    On paper, Asian cars sound a whole lot better than they do whenever I drive them.

In general, the engines are great, and for the most part, so are the chassis. It's just the rest of the car that ruins it a bit for me.

Thread Information