As recently seen on Top Gear #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

As recently seen on Top Gear #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Let me be the first old fart to say this does not look better than the original.

It was parked at the Goodwood House lawn next to Chris Evans' recently acquired 18 mln dollar 250 GTO. The well informed public was more interested in the Eagle than in the Ferrari...the more so as it had been approved by a certain J. Clarkson obviously.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It was parked at the Goodwood House lawn next to Chris Evans' recently acquired 18 mln dollar 250 GTO. The well informed public was more interested in the Eagle than in the Ferrari...the more so as it had been approved by a certain J. Clarkson obviously.
    GTOs are a dime a dozen...

This was on Top Gear!

To be brutally honest I've never thought the E-Type was the most beautiful car ever.

If I look at this purely in terms of styling, I think I prefer it to the E-Type.

In terms of the whole package, ...well there's really no contest, is there?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    To be brutally honest I've never thought the E-Type was the most beautiful car ever.
    I am not a huge fan of it. I turn and gawk every time I see one, but I prefer contemporaries of it like the 275 GTS, DB5, and C3 Corvette.

The hood is too long, and the headlights are just not for me.

Still, a very, very nice car, and I can see why people rate it high.

I don't say this often, but that is a lovely car. The original E-Type is one of the few other cars that I would describe as lovely. How does this stack up to the original? Damn, that is a tough decision. Both are marvelous, but I would pick a vintage one.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Let me be the first old fart to say this does not look better than the original.
    I agree entirely. It looks too much like an American muscle car. The front air intake is too small, and because the back of it is so fat, unlike the original, it's a little like a puffer fish.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

would love to see it in the flesh - the nose does seem a little blunt side on

the (mk1) E type is an "almost perfect" car straight from the factory with its proportion's

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The hood is too long
    yes the nose of the E type is very long - shortening slightly the distance between the windscreen edge to the front wheel arch is one of the few things i would do to the original

that & wider wheels - directly front on E types can look silly with the standard 1960's width tyres fitted

So, a well regarded restoration & sales company with nearly 30 years focus on E Types takes their modernization of a classic to the logical conclusion. Well heeled clientel ask for something more and they deliver. It does have some nice features, but isn't really a modern interpretation so much as an expensive, well engineered restomod. I don't get the excitement.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    I don't get the excitement.
    Excitement is Top Gear....Jezzer approved....thats about it...

His taste seems to vary week to week too....Take the other "repro" E-type that he brought up this week....looks like a E-type, but based on a XKR, with a 600k price tag. Not worth it....the original does not worth that, the donor car is nowhere near that, and the product is definitely not that....

E-type was not that successful of a racing car in its days neither...much more successful in the current historic racing scene IIRC...

IMO, E-type is something to gawk at when you see them in person, saw on on Friday(coupe, MK 1) and its pretty catchy looking. Though I won't go as far as saying its the most beautiful car....looks better than say, a DB5 or a DB4, but its no 250 GT or 275 GT...not that big of a fan of the bodywork that wraps around its own underpan...

And really the nicest looking one IMO is the lightweight coupe...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    yes the nose of the E type is very long - shortening slightly the distance between the windscreen edge to the front wheel arch is one of the few things i would do to the original

that & wider wheels - directly front on E types can look silly with the standard 1960's width tyres fitted
    the most important shortcoming of the styling, is the rather narrow track, which can be corrected by putting on some wider wheels, but the looks of the car car from direct front or rear and a low perspective or not the most favourable.

The fact that E-Types are now competitve in historic racing is their further development, the Adrian Newey car being the most quoted culprit. It runs with windtunnel designed aero and allegedly has a lot of metal parts replaced by carbon.
    The Ferraris, against which the E_Type stood no chance in period, have only marginally improved as they are too valuable to molest. THe Bamford GT-64 conversion (APB1) is probably the most competitive, in the hands of drivers like Gounon and Hardman, but that is the only one that can keep up with the modern lightweight E-Types.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

IMO this is a cool throwback to the E-Type, while still being unique in its own way.

Not quite sure about the price tag though
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Thread Information